Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default Weather Stations

On 11/16/2010 10:24 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
Not a repair question, but possibly on topic. I'd like to get a weather
station for home. I'd like it to be able to download info to the computer
and have software as part of the package.

Does anyone have one, or be able to make a recommendation?

Charles

Unless you live in an extremely remote area, or a strange micro-climate,
there are various networks of amateur, professionals, and government
weather reporting sites that can be accessed for free on the web for
almost all areas. One of the popular ones is called the weatherbug
network. You can also download browser add-ons and other utilities that
let you see real time conditions from The Weather Channel, Accuweather,
and/or other weather services for almost any zip code in the country.

I've found that the real cheap units sold in the big box stores for
$20-$50 are accurate for temperature, but a real joke for humidity. You
probably need to purchase professional quality equipment costing much
more to get something accurate and reliable. Why pay a lot of $$ for
such a device with remote sensing when you can get just as accurate (or
more so) condition reports for your immediate area for free?