Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default Weather Stations

Charles Bishop wrote:
Not a repair question, but possibly on topic. I'd like to get a weather
station for home. I'd like it to be able to download info to the computer
and have software as part of the package.

Does anyone have one, or be able to make a recommendation?

Charles

Why do people have weather stations?
I have a "gadget" on my screen that continuously
displays local temperature and weather...along with forecasts
for the next few days. Numerous websites let me look at
all kinds of info. I rarely look at it because I sit near
a window.
Why should I have my own weather station linked to the web?

I did buy most of a weather station at a garage sale.
Every time I set out to install the rain gauge, I looked
at the gauge, the ladder, the wiring...
Then I looked outside and said, "it's not raining. How
much more do I need to know?"
I jumped at the chance to sell it for 10 times what it cost me.
So, somebody wants a weather station.

Having said that, I do monitor temperature and humidity inside, outside,
in the attic, and in the crawl space. But I actually use the information
so I can take action to prevent pipes freezing.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to measure and graph electricity
and gas consumption. Was interesting data for 15 minutes.
But in the end, if I'm cold, I turn up the thermostat. What the
graph says is irrelevant. Every month I get a free report
the gas and electric companies.

What's the other info good for? It's not like you can turn
down the clouds if it's raining too hard.