Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remote keyboard button

Hi all
I have a PC in an upstairs room that runs as a server for the house, and
has all our music and any stuff I download to watch on the tv as well as
being used for iPlayer. I control it using a mixture of remote desktop
and VNC from a laptop.
I'd really like to be able to have a pause button (which probably means
the space bar) as a tangible thing so that when the phone rings I don't
have to fire up the laptop, open the connection and press pause. The PC
is a about 20m from the tv and I can run extra cables if necessary.
What's the best solution? I only need a single button but I suppose I
could set up some sort of KVM set-up and use a small keyboard but I'd
really like something that worked with a remote control. Any ideas?
TIA
Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2011 18:48, nicknoxx wrote:
Hi all
I have a PC in an upstairs room that runs as a server for the house, and
has all our music and any stuff I download to watch on the tv as well as
being used for iPlayer. I control it using a mixture of remote desktop
and VNC from a laptop.
I'd really like to be able to have a pause button (which probably means
the space bar) as a tangible thing so that when the phone rings I don't
have to fire up the laptop, open the connection and press pause. The PC
is a about 20m from the tv and I can run extra cables if necessary.
What's the best solution? I only need a single button but I suppose I
could set up some sort of KVM set-up and use a small keyboard but I'd
really like something that worked with a remote control. Any ideas?
TIA
Nick

There are a number of USB connected IR remote control that are intended
for 'media centre' uses.

e.g.
Speed-Link SL-6399 Media Centre Remote Controller
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129363

Microsoft market one as well.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nicknoxx wrote:

really like something that worked with a remote control. Any ideas?

You can get remote controls for HTPC (i.e. they look like a TV or PVR
remote) that work on 2.4GHz to a USB dongle, provided you haven't got
too much WiFi you might find one rated for 20m range, or you could use
longish USB cables to get the receiver closer to you.

This query should give suitable results

http://google.com/search?q=2.4GHz+MCE+Remote

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 6:48*pm, nicknoxx
wrote:
Hi all
I have a PC in an upstairs room that runs as a server for the house, and
has all our music and any stuff I download to watch on the tv as well as
being used for iPlayer. I control it using a mixture of remote desktop
and VNC from a laptop.
I'd really like to be able to have a pause button (which probably means
the space bar) as a tangible thing so that when the phone rings I don't
have to fire up the laptop, open the connection and press pause. The PC
is a about 20m from the tv and I can run extra cables if necessary.
What's the best solution? I only need a single button but I suppose I
could set up some sort of KVM set-up and use a small keyboard but I'd
really like something that worked with a remote control. Any ideas?
TIA
Nick

I'm pretty sure Windows with Media Centre has the code to do this, as
my old Targa desktop Media version (XP) has a wireless remote control
that selects, starts, stops and pauses video and audio playback and
can control the terrestrial/satellite TV card. However the remote
isn't very powerful and wouldn't do 20m range. One metre is more like
it. It has a dongle that plugs into a USB port and I think its works
on 27 MHz like the old generation cordless phones (??). The dongle
might be extendable with a USB cable.

rusty

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nicknoxx" wrote in message
Hi all
I have a PC in an upstairs room that runs as a server for the house, and
has all our music and any stuff I download to watch on the tv as well as
being used for iPlayer. I control it using a mixture of remote desktop and
VNC from a laptop.
I'd really like to be able to have a pause button (which probably means
the space bar) as a tangible thing so that when the phone rings I don't
have to fire up the laptop, open the connection and press pause. The PC is
a about 20m from the tv and I can run extra cables if necessary.
What's the best solution? I only need a single button but I suppose I
could set up some sort of KVM set-up and use a small keyboard but I'd
really like something that worked with a remote control. Any ideas?
TIA
Nick

Something like
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...-Control.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nicknoxx" wrote in message
Hi all
I have a PC in an upstairs room that runs as a server for the house, and
has all our music and any stuff I download to watch on the tv as well as
being used for iPlayer. I control it using a mixture of remote desktop and
VNC from a laptop.
I'd really like to be able to have a pause button (which probably means
the space bar) as a tangible thing so that when the phone rings I don't
have to fire up the laptop, open the connection and press pause. The PC is
a about 20m from the tv and I can run extra cables if necessary.
What's the best solution? I only need a single button but I suppose I
could set up some sort of KVM set-up and use a small keyboard but I'd
really like something that worked with a remote control. Any ideas?
TIA
Nick

You can use a Wiimote.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2011 18:48:57 +0100, nicknoxx wrote:
What's the best solution?

A complex arrangement of pulleys and wire going up the stairs, activating
a small hammer on a pivot at the far end which will press a key on the
media PC's own keyboard when the wire is tugged?

(sorry, all the right answers were already taken ;-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 7:28*pm, therustyone wrote:
On May 18, 6:48*pm, nicknoxx
wrote:

[...]

googling on my own Targa PC's remote ( 5+ years old) shows its ATi
system is available independently (in the USA) with a TV card.

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Technologi.../dp/B0000C0COS

They claim the remote works through walls. Probably depends on the
wall, maybe best to avoid granite and reinforced concrete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2011 21:48:34 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Wed, 18 May 2011 18:48:57 +0100, nicknoxx wrote:
What's the best solution?

A complex arrangement of pulleys and wire going up the stairs, activating
a small hammer on a pivot at the far end which will press a key on the
media PC's own keyboard when the wire is tugged?

(sorry, all the right answers were already taken ;-)

No, that must be incorrect as there must be a better answer involving
one or more of the following:

gaffer tape, WD40, angle grinder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Other Mike
writes
wrote:

On Wed, 18 May 2011 18:48:57 +0100, nicknoxx wrote:
What's the best solution?

A complex arrangement of pulleys and wire going up the stairs, activating
a small hammer on a pivot at the far end which will press a key on the
media PC's own keyboard when the wire is tugged?

(sorry, all the right answers were already taken ;-)

No, that must be incorrect as there must be a better answer involving
one or more of the following:

gaffer tape, WD40, angle grinder

Plus a spot of superglue?
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 May 2011 10:46:22 +0100 The Other Mike wrote :
A complex arrangement of pulleys and wire going up the stairs,
activating a small hammer on a pivot at the far end which will press
a key on the media PC's own keyboard when the wire is tugged?

(sorry, all the right answers were already taken ;-)

No, that must be incorrect as there must be a better answer involving
one or more of the following:

gaffer tape, WD40, angle grinder

No, talk to someone who maintains traditional pipe organs and they'll
build you a pneumatic system with thin lead pipes [as used for remote
consoles in pre-electric days]

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on', Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 8:12*pm, "dennis@home" wrote:
"nicknoxx" wrote in message

Hi all
I have a PC in an upstairs room that runs as a server for the house, and
has all our music and any stuff I download to watch on the tv as well as
being used for iPlayer. I control it using a mixture of remote desktop and
VNC from a laptop.
I'd really like to be able to have a pause button (which probably means
the space bar) as a tangible thing so that when the phone rings I don't
have to fire up the laptop, open the connection and press pause. The PC is
a about 20m from the tv and I can run extra cables if necessary.
What's the best solution? I only need a single button but I suppose I
could set up some sort of KVM set-up and use a small keyboard but I'd
really like something that worked with a remote control. Any ideas?
TIA
Nick

Something likehttp://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Telephony-SMS-GSM/Bluetooth-Rem...

Through walls to another room?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message

Something
likehttp://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Telephony-SMS-GSM/Bluetooth-Rem...

Through walls to another room?

Bluetooth works through walls.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message

You can use a Wiimote.

Through walls to another room?

I frequently do bowling from the kitchen when I pop out to make tea.
You can use it for any game that doesn't use the sensor bar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nicknoxx :
I only need a single button but I suppose I could set up some sort of
KVM set-up and use a small keyboard

Is this small enough?

http://home.planet.nl/~muije000/Humo...00Keyboard.jpg

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks for all the replys. In the end, because I've just got a new
Android phone, I installed Gmote and used that. It connects to a Gmote
server on the, er, server and will allow you to play video or music on a
remote machine. It stays connected when the phone's on standby and
starts up really fast and I didn't need to install any new wires. Result!