Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spare red diesel

I've got 5 gallons of red diesel left over from when I hired a digger
a few weeks ago - I don't think I'll have a use for it in the
foreseeable future.

Does anyone see a problem with me pouring it into a heating oil tank
containing about 1000 litres of 28sec heating oil?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bodgit wrote:

I've got 5 gallons of red diesel left over from when I hired a digger
a few weeks ago - I don't think I'll have a use for it in the
foreseeable future.

Does anyone see a problem with me pouring it into a heating oil tank
containing about 1000 litres of 28sec heating oil?

I cannot see a problem at that dilution.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:39:36 -0700 (PDT), Bodgit wrote:

I've got 5 gallons of red diesel left over ...

Does anyone see a problem with me pouring it into a heating oil

tank
containing about 1000 litres of 28sec heating oil?

Argh mixed units does me 'ed in after a long days work. Can't even
remember how many litres there are in a gallon... B-)

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

5 gallons 22 litres or just over a jerry can full.

I cannot see a problem at that dilution.

Good news! Ta!

Where are you? The genset runs on red...

Couldn't you flog it to the hire company?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 15, 11:22*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:39:36 -0700 (PDT), Bodgit wrote:
I've got 5 gallons of red diesel left over ...

Does anyone see a problem with me pouring it into a heating oil

tank
containing about 1000 litres of 28sec heating oil?

Argh mixed units does me 'ed in after a long days work. *Can't even
remember how many litres there are in a gallon... *B-)

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

5 gallons 22 litres or just over a jerry can full.

I cannot see a problem at that dilution.

Good news! Ta!

Where are you? The genset runs on red...

Couldn't you flog it to the hire company?

Keep a couple of litres as a cleaning fluid, its handy stuff

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bodgit
saying something like:

Does anyone see a problem with me pouring it into a heating oil tank
containing about 1000 litres of 28sec heating oil?

You're not supposed to; according to Grant and Firebird techs, mixing a
bit of diesel with kerosene is a no-no. However, I've done it plenty of
times on mine and it simply doesn't bother it at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Tabby writes
wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:39:36 -0700 (PDT), Bodgit wrote:
I've got 5 gallons of red diesel left over ...

Does anyone see a problem with me pouring it into a heating oil

tank
containing about 1000 litres of 28sec heating oil?

Argh mixed units does me 'ed in after a long days work. *Can't even
remember how many litres there are in a gallon... *B-)

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

5 gallons 22 litres or just over a jerry can full.

I cannot see a problem at that dilution.

Good news! Ta!

Where are you? The genset runs on red...

Couldn't you flog it to the hire company?

Keep a couple of litres as a cleaning fluid, its handy stuff

Keep it to mix with old engine oil, and use as homebrew 'creosote'.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 15, 10:02*pm, Bodgit wrote:
I've got 5 gallons of red diesel left over from when I hired a digger
a few weeks ago - I don't think I'll have a use for it in the
foreseeable future.

Does anyone see a problem with me pouring it into a heating oil tank
containing about 1000 litres of 28sec heating oil?

Red diesel is 35 sec heating oil, virtually identical to that used in
pressure jet burners.
No problem. Give it a stir if you can to mix it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 May 2011 07:59:59 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

Keep it to mix with old engine oil, and use as homebrew 'creosote'.

Partly serious question...
Often wondered about that - does it have to be "old" oil - maybe to
give the sheds some patina?
I have a container with unused engine oil from way back, so it
qualifies as "old" - but not used...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Geo
writes
wrote:

Keep it to mix with old engine oil, and use as homebrew 'creosote'.

Partly serious question...
Often wondered about that - does it have to be "old" oil - maybe to
give the sheds some patina?
I have a container with unused engine oil from way back, so it
qualifies as "old" - but not used...

I suspect that new engine oil doesn't have the 'goodness' of black,
treacly, sludgy, well-used engine oil!
--
ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Geo
writes
wrote:

Keep it to mix with old engine oil, and use as homebrew 'creosote'.

Partly serious question...
Often wondered about that - does it have to be "old" oil - maybe to
give the sheds some patina?
I have a container with unused engine oil from way back, so it
qualifies as "old" - but not used...

I suspect that new engine oil doesn't have the 'goodness' of black,
treacly, sludgy, well-used engine oil!

It has more detergents than the old stuff and has less stuff linked to
cancer.
That makes old engine oil more similar to creosote I suppose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geo wrote:

Partly serious question...
Often wondered about that - does it have to be "old" oil - maybe to
give the sheds some patina?

Old, used oil is effectively free.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scott M
writes
Geo wrote:

Partly serious question...
Often wondered about that - does it have to be "old" oil - maybe to
give the sheds some patina?

Old, used oil is effectively free.

But, of course, these days, far fewer of us do home servicing, and so
have less chance to acquire used oil.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2011 19:25, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Scott M
writes
Geo wrote:

Partly serious question...
Often wondered about that - does it have to be "old" oil - maybe to
give the sheds some patina?

Old, used oil is effectively free.

But, of course, these days, far fewer of us do home servicing, and so
have less chance to acquire used oil.

But enough of us do for the repeated request, "How do I get engine oil
off the driveway?"

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 May 2011 19:48:34 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

But, of course, these days, far fewer of us do home servicing, and

so
have less chance to acquire used oil.

But enough of us do for the repeated request, "How do I get engine oil
off the driveway?"

You are supposed to put a container under the sump plug before you
remove it. B-) Chnaged the mower oil the other wekk not a spot of
oil on the drive.

Of course these days a spot of oil on the drive is a Bad Thing, not
that long ago oil on the drive thick enough to form a mini slick was
common place, the seals just leaked. They don't now so people have
got used to clean drives.

My solution is a squirt of neat washing up liquid worked in with a
stiff brush and left for the rain to deal with.

--
Cheers
Dave.