Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default grinding tile cement off of used tiles

Hi All,

I have to remove the tile cement off the back of 2 medium sized tiles
- I can't replace them, they are a matching pattern.

I did this in the past by using metal sanding discs that go on an
electric drill rubber sanding disc.

But I went to B&Q today and couldn't find the metal sanding discs! Do
these still exist?

Regs., Tom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom wrote:
Hi All,

I have to remove the tile cement off the back of 2 medium sized tiles
- I can't replace them, they are a matching pattern.

I did this in the past by using metal sanding discs that go on an
electric drill rubber sanding disc.

But I went to B&Q today and couldn't find the metal sanding discs! Do
these still exist?

Regs., Tom

Too dangerous dearie.

Soak em in brick acid instead.

And use a wire brush. Once. cos the acid will take that out as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom wrote:
Hi All,

I have to remove the tile cement off the back of 2 medium sized tiles
- I can't replace them, they are a matching pattern.

I did this in the past by using metal sanding discs that go on an
electric drill rubber sanding disc.

But I went to B&Q today and couldn't find the metal sanding discs! Do
these still exist?

Regs., Tom

Too dangerous dearie.

Soak em in brick acid instead.

And use a wire brush. Once. cos the acid will take that out as well.

soak them in hot water for a while, then it will come off easy with a
scraper.
I use a old putty knife that I made into a thin scraper, easy peasy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 9, 3:39*pm, "polly filler" wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in ...

Tom wrote:
Hi All,

I have to remove the tile cement off the back of 2 medium sized tiles
- I can't replace them, they are a matching pattern.

I did this in the past by using metal sanding discs that go on an
electric drill rubber sanding disc.

But I went to B&Q today and couldn't find the metal sanding discs! Do
these still exist?

Regs., Tom

Too dangerous dearie.

Soak em in brick acid instead.

And use a wire brush. Once. cos the acid will take that out as well.

soak them in hot water for a while, then it will come off easy with a
scraper.
I use a old putty knife that I made into a thin scraper, easy peasy

An overnight soak in a bucket of water softens many tile adhesives,
but not all. That's the first thing to try cos its by far the easiest.
If that doesnt work, acid might weaken it. Finally there's the slow
way. Cutting grooves in the mortar with a disc makes it easier to chip
it off. I dont know you personally, so just in case, tiles without a
hard backing behind them are very weak, and removing hard mortar takes
gentleness and patience.

NT