Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cement grinding question

Due to clay/water expansion, the concrete slab forming our patio is rising
just enough to impinge on the stucco slab siding of the house, causing it to
crack.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of power grinder and take off 1/2 inch of
the concrete slab's edge.

Any thoughts on this? What kind of tools and grinder will I need. Probably
rent them, right?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Gavin wrote:
Due to clay/water expansion, the concrete slab forming our patio is rising
just enough to impinge on the stucco slab siding of the house, causing it to
crack.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of power grinder and take off 1/2 inch of
the concrete slab's edge.

Any thoughts on this? What kind of tools and grinder will I need. Probably
rent them, right?

I think you rent a grinder somthing like this:
http://www.stihl.us/construction/TS400.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you rent a grinder somthing like this:
http://www.stihl.us/construction/TS400.html

I think that is a cocrete saw not a grinder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Sep 2006 11:48:30 -0700, "namesnotbob"
wrote:

I think you rent a grinder somthing like this:
http://www.stihl.us/construction/TS400.html

I think that is a cocrete saw not a grinder.

It seemed at first both would apply..clarity needed.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

For getting in close to the wall, you'd probably be OK with a 4.5" angle
grinder with a diamond blade. I'm assuming you don't need to slice off the
full depth of the slab. It sounds like you would be making a chamfer on the
top edge of it.
I would get a cheap grinder from Harbor Freight (and the diamond blade too),
because the dust will likely shorten the lifespan considerably of the
grinder.
Also get a serious dust mask.

Bill

"Kurt Gavin" wrote in message
link.net...
Due to clay/water expansion, the concrete slab forming our patio is rising
just enough to impinge on the stucco slab siding of the house, causing it
to crack.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of power grinder and take off 1/2 inch
of the concrete slab's edge.

Any thoughts on this? What kind of tools and grinder will I need. Probably
rent them, right?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
pbs pbs is offline

Default DRAINAGE ??? Cement grinding question

Just curious. After performing this grinding, won't you then have a
bevel in the slab towards the house to which could catch & channel
water against the foundation / stucco?

Kurt Gavin wrote:
Due to clay/water expansion, the concrete slab forming our patio is rising
just enough to impinge on the stucco slab siding of the house, causing it to
crack.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of power grinder and take off 1/2 inch of
the concrete slab's edge.

Any thoughts on this? What kind of tools and grinder will I need. Probably
rent them, right?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think you rent a grinder somthing like this:
http://www.stihl.us/construction/TS400.html

I think that is a cocrete saw not a grinder.

It seemed at first both would apply..clarity needed.

OK, you got me on the terminology. Nevertheless, I think this saw is
what Kurt needs to slice 1/2' off of the edge of his slab. He will
need to slice all the way through the slab with one smooth cut. I am
pretty sure that's what what he has in mind and that tool will do it.

Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe neither of these to be your answer because you are still
going to have movement either up fruther or back down sooner or later.
I dont know what you solution is because I would need to see where it
is touching and its surroundings but I do know this. Taking 1/2" off of
a concrete surface is not done with any machine available for
homeowners to rent. Taking this amount off is a monumental task believe
it or not, even with the best Terazzo grinder you would spend enough in
pads to pour a whole new slab.

Kurt Gavin wrote:
Due to clay/water expansion, the concrete slab forming our patio is rising
just enough to impinge on the stucco slab siding of the house, causing it to
crack.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of power grinder and take off 1/2 inch of
the concrete slab's edge.

Any thoughts on this? What kind of tools and grinder will I need. Probably
rent them, right?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Italian Mason wrote:
I believe neither of these to be your answer because you are still
going to have movement either up fruther or back down sooner or later.
I dont know what you solution is because I would need to see where it
is touching and its surroundings but I do know this. Taking 1/2" off of
a concrete surface is not done with any machine available for
homeowners to rent.

That concrete saw can be rented, in the U.S. It will take some
patience, but it will do the job.

Taking this amount off is a monumental task

To call it monumental is an over statement. We are talking about a
patio here, not a driveway.

believe
it or not, even with the best Terazzo grinder you would spend enough in
pads to pour a whole new slab.

I believe that part. Can you provide a link to such a grinder? What
type of pad will compare to a diamond blade??

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, you got me on the terminology. Nevertheless, I think this saw is
what Kurt needs to slice 1/2' off of the edge of his slab. He will
need to slice all the way through the slab with one smooth cut. I am
pretty sure that's what what he has in mind and that tool will do it.

I just didn't want the employees at the tool rental to give him a funny
look when he asked for a cement grinder.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Lawrence wrote:
Kurt Gavin wrote:
Due to clay/water expansion, the concrete slab forming our patio is rising
just enough to impinge on the stucco slab siding of the house, causing it to
crack.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of power grinder and take off 1/2 inch of
the concrete slab's edge.

Any thoughts on this? What kind of tools and grinder will I need. Probably
rent them, right?

I think you rent a grinder somthing like this:
http://www.stihl.us/construction/TS400.html

Seem like you would try to cut out a piece of about 2". Then break out
the part next to the wall, and put in a pressure treated or cedar 2x4.
Then seal with silicone. After that is done comes the hard part. Put
a drain around the pad and get rid of the water.

All in all, I think it would work well, but would be a dirty, dusty
weekend of annoying the neighbors. So plan a BBQ afterwards and invite
them over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Gavin wrote:
Due to clay/water expansion, the concrete slab forming our patio is rising
just enough to impinge on the stucco slab siding of the house, causing it to
crack.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of power grinder and take off 1/2 inch of
the concrete slab's edge.

Any thoughts on this? What kind of tools and grinder will I need. Probably
rent them, right?

Thanks

Can you post a picture of the slab where it meets the stucco. How old
is the slab. The patio should have been poured at least 1" below the
stucco screed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...

Italian Mason wrote:
I believe neither of these to be your answer because you are still
going to have movement either up fruther or back down sooner or later.
I dont know what you solution is because I would need to see where it
is touching and its surroundings but I do know this. Taking 1/2" off of
a concrete surface is not done with any machine available for
homeowners to rent.

That concrete saw can be rented, in the U.S. It will take some
patience, but it will do the job.

Taking this amount off is a monumental task

No, I'm talking about lowering the EDGE of the patio slab that is beneath
the stucco, not the whole patio.