Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grinding down ceramic tile

Hi,

A contractor built these very unattractive cubby holes in our bathroom
wall so we came with this brilliant idea to have custom made hammered
copper inserts and had those made in Mexico at a considerable cost. Of
course, they were made larger than the specs and they do not fit. I
can see the picture here.

http://freeboundaries.com/inserts.jpg

My first reaction is to grind the tile down a little bid around the
edges (only the edges of pieces facing the viewer) and I think that
might just get them in there.

Is there a tool that would do it for me "in place"? I do recall
drilling 1/4" holes in these tiles and that taking me about an hour
per hole so I'm apprehensive about the strength of the material. So
I'm open to ideas!

Thank you very much in advance,

Aaron Fude.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

A contractor built these very unattractive cubby holes in our bathroom
wall so we came with this brilliant idea to have custom made hammered
copper inserts and had those made in Mexico at a considerable cost. Of
course, they were made larger than the specs and they do not fit. I
can see the picture here.

http://freeboundaries.com/inserts.jpg

My first reaction is to grind the tile down a little bid around the
edges (only the edges of pieces facing the viewer) and I think that
might just get them in there.

Is there a tool that would do it for me "in place"? I do recall
drilling 1/4" holes in these tiles and that taking me about an hour
per hole so I'm apprehensive about the strength of the material. So
I'm open to ideas!

Thank you very much in advance,

Aaron Fude.

you can get a 4" side grinder that will do it with either a dry diamond
blade or a grinding blade. it will be incredibly noisy, dusty, and will
throw lots of small pieces of tile around. wear eye, ear, breathing, and
body protection. you'll also have to deal with the dust produced in keeping
it out of the rest of the house.

sure you don't want to just tell the place you bought them they're the wrong
size and they should fix their screwups?

Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

And if that is too big you can get mini diamond wheels for Dremel
tools.
About 1 1/4 diameter. You could use a sanding block with coarse
silicon carbide paper too. Power tool would be faster and messier.
You can also get tile cutting blades for saber saws.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 6:19 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
charlie wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Thanks for advice. Would you be able to send me a link to the mini
diamond wheels that you are talking about. I'm not sure if the guys at
home depot would know what you are talking about.

Thanks again,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 1, 6:19 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
charlie wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

yes they will. it's in the tile department with all the other diamond
blades. they look like

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

Thanks for advice. Would you be able to send me a link to the mini
diamond wheels that you are talking about. I'm not sure if the guys
at home depot would know what you are talking about.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachme...attachment-acc
essory-category.htm?H=188549

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ceramic tile novice Home Repair 2 June 16th 07 02:20 AM
ceramic tile on ceiling - I don't want tile there anymore! moosictchr Home Repair 6 November 26th 06 01:37 PM
remove ceramic floor tile replace with new tile [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 22nd 06 04:29 PM
Ceramic tile vs. Slate tile Corinne Home Repair 10 November 30th 05 09:09 AM
Ceramic tile over ceramic tile Don Home Ownership 1 November 23rd 03 06:34 AM