Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default re furbishing a barbecue

Hi everyone,

I've got a tandoori oven style barbeque (Steel underneath) where some of
the parts have the coating flaked off and have gone rusty over the
winter. (legs and wind sheild bits mostly)

can I just wirebrush the rust off or treat it with rust remover then
re-hammerite it?

The windsheild bit would get pretty hot, because it supports the grill
rack when used as an open barbecue. Is there a special metal paint for
hot situations?

I don't want to get rid of the barbecue bit and just buy a new one
because it's fairly sturdy in construction and actually cooks stuff
quite well.

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've got a tandoori oven style barbeque (Steel underneath) where some of
the parts have the coating flaked off and have gone rusty over the
winter. (legs and wind sheild bits mostly)

can I just wirebrush the rust off or treat it with rust remover then
re-hammerite it?

The windsheild bit would get pretty hot, because it supports the grill
rack when used as an open barbecue. Is there a special metal paint for
hot situations?

I don't want to get rid of the barbecue bit and just buy a new one
because it's fairly sturdy in construction and actually cooks stuff
quite well.

dedics

there is a stove paint that is designed for woodburning stoves, that I
would use in preference..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've got a tandoori oven style barbeque (Steel underneath) where some
of the parts have the coating flaked off and have gone rusty over the
winter. (legs and wind sheild bits mostly)

can I just wirebrush the rust off or treat it with rust remover then
re-hammerite it?

The windsheild bit would get pretty hot, because it supports the grill
rack when used as an open barbecue. Is there a special metal paint for
hot situations?

I don't want to get rid of the barbecue bit and just buy a new one
because it's fairly sturdy in construction and actually cooks stuff
quite well.

dedics

there is a stove paint that is designed for woodburning stoves, that I
would use in preference..

sounds good, do you have a reference? or is it just called "stove paint"

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

sounds good, do you have a reference? or is it just called "stove paint"

http://tinyurl.com/69ym7qj
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
[...]

http://www.thestovecompany.co.uk/ind...ex&cPath=13_18

though I got mine IIRC at a builder merchants. General purpose matt
black for all fire areas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2011 15:00, Steve Firth wrote:
Ian& Hilda wrote:

sounds good, do you have a reference? or is it just called "stove paint"

http://tinyurl.com/69ym7qj

yes I did that, I meant any recommended good brands....

Thank you to mr natural philosopher

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 6, 11:13*am, Ian & Hilda Dedic
wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've got a tandoori oven style barbeque (Steel underneath) where some of
the parts have the coating flaked off and have gone rusty over the
winter. (legs and wind sheild bits mostly)

can I just wirebrush the rust off or treat it with rust remover then
re-hammerite it?

The windsheild bit would get pretty hot, because it supports the grill
rack when used as an open barbecue. Is there a special metal paint for
hot situations?

I don't want to get rid of the barbecue bit and just buy a new one
because it's fairly sturdy in construction and actually cooks stuff
quite well.

dedics

Hammerite is rubber based, hence not heat resisting at all.
They have stuff in Halfords that is heat resisting for cars etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[snip]

Hammerite is rubber based, hence not heat resisting at all.
They have stuff in Halfords that is heat resisting for cars etc.

Hammerite is not rubber based, it is a styrenated alkyd resin with
inorganic fillers and pigments. It's not designed for use on hot surfaces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've got a tandoori oven style barbeque (Steel underneath) where some of
the parts have the coating flaked off and have gone rusty over the
winter. (legs and wind sheild bits mostly)

can I just wirebrush the rust off or treat it with rust remover then
re-hammerite it?

The windsheild bit would get pretty hot, because it supports the grill
rack when used as an open barbecue. Is there a special metal paint for
hot situations?

I don't want to get rid of the barbecue bit and just buy a new one
because it's fairly sturdy in construction and actually cooks stuff
quite well.

I thought this was about furbishing a barbecue but what you actually
meant was 'refurbishing a barbecue'.

What's with this modern fashion for splitting perfectly good words
into their component parts which often don't mean the same thing?

--
Chris Green