Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NG barbecue

Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote:

Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

And here I thought you were going to invite the News Group over to
your place. Bummer.
I'll now turn you over to someone who can actually answer your
question.

--
"Politics should be limited in its scope to war,
protection of property, and the occasional

Posted to alt.home.repair

usually not.

But they do reuire different gas orifices.

Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:46:39 -0700, "Seamus J. Wilson"
wrote:

Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Do a smart thing. Call you gas company!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 11:46*am, "Seamus J. Wilson" wrote:
Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Typically not.....an NG BBQ is not unlike an stove.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Pressure is usually regulated at the meter. You do have to change the
orifices though and comply with your local codes for hookup. You need a
shutoff valve near the grill and it usually have to be bolted in place, not
on wheels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

NG is NOT a BBQ fuel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Samuel wrote:
"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

NG is NOT a BBQ fuel

Hi.
Why not? That's what our BBQ is made for from the factory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 8:26*pm, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:
"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in ...

Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

*NG is NOT a BBQ fuel

NG is NOT a BBQ fuel

Good to know......I'll have to call my brother & tell him that his BBQ
setup for the last 30 years is not right.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Rick Samuel" wrote:

"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

NG is NOT a BBQ fuel

Neither is propane. Wood is best, charcoal is acceptable as long as you
use a chimney style starter in place of all that nasty lighter fluid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Rick Samuel" wrote:

"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

NG is NOT a BBQ fuel

Neither is propane. Wood is best, charcoal is acceptable as long as you
use a chimney style starter in place of all that nasty lighter fluid.

Hi,
Really, really, eating raw is BEST!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Yes indeed.

Almost all natural gas and LP appliances utilize a seperate regulator at (or
built into) the unit, including stoves, cooktops and BBQ's. Typical
settings are from 3.5" to 5" water column on the outlet side. The
meter/regulator does not step down this far. If you don't use one, the
flame will be blowing and lifting off, making for a cold flame with a high
level of flue by-products such as CO.

Check with the unit manufacturer for proper manifold settings for their
particular burner.

HTH, Lefty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lefty" wrote in message
et...

"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Yes indeed.

Almost all natural gas and LP appliances utilize a seperate regulator at
(or built into) the unit, including stoves, cooktops and BBQ's. Typical
settings are from 3.5" to 5" water column on the outlet side. The
meter/regulator does not step down this far. If you don't use one, the
flame will be blowing and lifting off, making for a cold flame with a high
level of flue by-products such as CO.

Check with the unit manufacturer for proper manifold settings for their
particular burner.

HTH, Lefty

To clarify,

The regulator on the side of the house, at the meter or wellhead, whichever
you have, needs to be set higher. The reason is because enough pressure
must be available to push the gas through the house piping without friction
loss. The reason it is stepped down at the house is to bring it down to a
much safer level should a leak occur inside. Typical settings for this
regulator are around 14"-15" w.c. unless you have a CSST piping system
inside, in which case it is likely set around 2#. Much too high for
individual appliance use.

HTH, Lefty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 6:33*am, "Lefty" wrote:
"Lefty" wrote in message

et...

[...]

HTH, Lefty- Hide quoted text -

To further clarify, you don't know what you're talking about. I just
did a conversion from propane to natural gas on a Charmglow outdoor
grill using the Charmglow conversion kit.

The conversion consists of:

A - Removing the propane hose and regulator.

B - Replacing that with the natural gas hose, which has no regulator

C - Removing the tips of the burners, which makes the orrifice larger

D - Changing the bezels behind the burner knobs. The new bezel has a
different stop that limits how far it can be turned in the low
direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lefty wrote:
"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Yes indeed.

Almost all natural gas and LP appliances utilize a seperate regulator at (or
built into) the unit, including stoves, cooktops and BBQ's. Typical
settings are from 3.5" to 5" water column on the outlet side. The
meter/regulator does not step down this far. If you don't use one, the
flame will be blowing and lifting off, making for a cold flame with a high
level of flue by-products such as CO.

Check with the unit manufacturer for proper manifold settings for their
particular burner.

HTH, Lefty

That may be some tradition where you are but with the exception of high
pressure systems which are not that common there is no need for and I
have never seen a regulator in or at the point of connection of any NG
appliance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
Lefty wrote:
[...]

It's not a tradition. It's definately the same story from Illinois to New
Jersey/New York. Anywhere with a gas distribution system, not to be
confused with the gas transmission system which is run at much higher
pressures, exists. You do realize that the gas control on *every* modern
furnace and hot water tank that burns either LP or natural gas is indeed a
combination control, which means that a regulator is built into that unit,
don't you??

Another poster mentioned that Charmglow uses no regulator. This means that
Charmglow's burners are designed to use a higher pressure (14"-15") without
lift-off. Like I said, go with the manufacturer's recommendations for
pressure settings. But anyone that thinks natural gas appliances don't
need regulators should tear into theirs and see for themselves.

HTH, Lefty

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sep 29, 6:33 am, "Lefty" wrote:
"Lefty" wrote in message

et...

[...]

Don't I??
Check this document;

http://www.nexgrill.net/pdf/720-0008-T.pdf

You read the post. I said check with your own individual manufacturer for
their recommendations, so whats the problem?

I would be willing to bet you did'nt actually check your house pressure.
You can see that Charmglow is depending on your house line pressure to be
only 7" water column. But you have no idea. You just know it seemed to
work and that's good enough for you. Unfortunately pros can't afford to
guess and let someone cash in that multimillion dollar liabilty insurance
policy that they keep on their companies, so they check things out little
more thouroghly. BTW, you also know that the Charmglow/Home Depot marriage
isn't exactly producing the most satisfied customers, don't you?

HTH, Lefty

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Seamus J. Wilson
wrote:

Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

No. After the charcoal has developed a nice gray ash coating in the
chimney starter, you pour it right over the burners.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 2:05*pm, "Lefty" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sep 29, 6:33 am, "Lefty" wrote:

"Lefty" wrote in message

news:7Yydnfy5hasNQ1zXnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@centurytel. net...

[...]

The problem is the question was "Do NG barbecue units require a
pressure regulator? "

To which your first answer was "Yes indeed." Followed by stating that
almost all natural gas and LP BBQs utilize a seperate regulator. I
have seen lots of LP grills and they do indeed use a regulator that is
part of the hose that assembly that goes to the tank. They need it
because the tank pressure will vary and there is no regulator already
in the system.

I have also seen lots of natural gas grills that do not have
regulators because they don't need them. As I stated, I just used
conversion kits to convert two grills from LP to natural gas. They
both discarded the pressure regulators and just hook the hose up
directly.

Then for added measure you threw in more crapola about the regulator
at the side of the house needing to be set higher and it must be
stepped down. Clearly that is nonsense or the natural gas grill
conversion kits would not work without a regulator. They are in fact
designed to work with the standard residential pressure.

I'd like you to show us where in your nexgrill document it says that
their grill for natural gas uses a pressure regulator. Please show
us where it is. In fact, what they are saying is the grill is
designed to work with std residential pressure.

I would be willing to bet you did'nt actually check your house pressure.
You can see that Charmglow is depending on your house line pressure to be
only 7" water column. *But you have no idea. *You just know it seemed to
work and that's good enough for you.

Yes, I just followed the simple conversion instructions. No where
did those instructions say I had to perform any test. I suppose
according to you every time I buy a new dryer I should hire you to
come out and charge me $300 to check the pressure and hook it up.
Funny if you know so much, you don't know that there are natural gas
grills that don't need a pressure regulator. I'm not the only one
here of that opinion, several others have stated the same thing.

*Unfortunately pros can't afford to
guess and let someone cash in that multimillion dollar liabilty insurance
policy that they keep on their companies, so they check things out little
more thouroghly. *BTW, you also know that the Charmglow/Home Depot marriage
isn't exactly producing the most satisfied customers, don't you?

Actually, the grills I was speaking about were CharBroil. My
mistake. They are working fine and for what I paid for them I have
no complaints.

HTH, Lefty- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 1:48*pm, "Lefty" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

Lefty wrote:
[...]

That's right. CharBroil uses no regulator in the the two grills I
converted from LP to natural gas. The existing LP regulator/hose
gets replaced by a new nat gas hose. End of story.

You want to teai into one? Here's a parts schematic of a typical
Weber nat gas grill as well.

http://www.weber.com/publicSchematic...?model=3850101

Obviously they have no pressure regulator either because it's nowhere
on the schematic or parts list.

So, obviously you now have 2 major manufacturers of grills that say
your answer claiming that nat gas grills require a regulator is wrong.