Default Gas barbecue recommendations

I know this has been discussed before (here, or in uk.gardening?) but
not for a while.

We have a brick 'ordinary' barbecue which we will quite likely
continue to use for big and/or planned barbecues but it would be nice
to have a way to barbecue quicky when one decides to do it on the spur
of the moment.

So any recommendations on what to get, what to avoid, what to look
for?

--
Chris Green
David Lang

Hi Chris
So any recommendations on what to get, what to avoid, what to look
for?

I'd go for a big gas jobby - once you have experienced the luxury of gas you
won't want to go back to charcoal. Some good deals about now in B&Q and
Makro.

I'd avoid anything with Lava Rocks. The do nothing to improve taste and
just harbour grease. I wouldn't bother with a cowl type lid either, close
it and the temperature inside reaches Chernobyl proportions!

It's the smoke from the vaporised fat that gives BBQ food its taste, not
what caused it to vaporise.

Dave

Mary Fisher

"David Lang" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi Chris
So any recommendations on what to get, what to avoid, what to look
for?

I'd go for a big gas jobby - once you have experienced the luxury of gas
you
won't want to go back to charcoal. Some good deals about now in B&Q and
Makro.

Thee's also one in Lidle or Aldi for £25 I think. If I didn't have two
already I'd go for it. They'd be fine for ocasional use.

I'd avoid anything with Lava Rocks. The do nothing to improve taste and
just harbour grease.

No they don't, any grease burns off or drains away.

I wouldn't bother with a cowl type lid either, close
it and the temperature inside reaches Chernobyl proportions!

No it doesn't, I've baked lemon meringue pies in ours.

It's the smoke from the vaporised fat that gives BBQ food its taste, not
what caused it to vaporise.

The fat vapourises from lava rocks!

How can you say it gets very hot and then suggest that fat doesn't
vapourise?

Mary

Dave

Mark Spice

wrote in message ...
I know this has been discussed before (here, or in uk.gardening?) but
not for a while.

We have a brick 'ordinary' barbecue which we will quite likely
continue to use for big and/or planned barbecues but it would be nice
to have a way to barbecue quicky when one decides to do it on the spur
of the moment.

So any recommendations on what to get, what to avoid, what to look
for?

--
Chris Green

We went for the largest one we could afford and bought a Sunshine Legend
4000 from a camping shop in Norwich for about £350. Although this was much
more expensive than those in B&Q the build quality (and weight) is much
higher and I think this will be reflected in it's longevity. I would echo
other comments about not worrying about the barrel lids as these can add
considerably to the price for not much gain. I tend to mostly use the
griddle plate but it is nice to have the grill section when needed. I
didn't bother with any side heaters as if nI want to heat pots and saucepans
I'll do that in the kitchen and keep them warm on the grill. I would make
sure that you're not limited to butane as propane is much better for steaks
in the middle of winter.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mark

[news]

Mark Spice wrote:
wrote in message ...
[...]

I fancy one of these

http://www.flamingbarbecues.co.uk/im.../magnum-8l.jpg

RT

David Lang

Mary wrote

No they don't, any grease burns off or drains away.

Come and tell that to the greasy lava rocks in my BBQ!

No it doesn't, I've baked lemon meringue pies in ours.

Oh yes it does! Close the lid on ours for more than 5 mins and it cremates
anything!

BBQ lemon meringue - strange!

The fat vapourises from lava rocks!

As it does from stainless steel.

How can you say it gets very hot and then suggest that fat doesn't
vapourise?

I didn't! I said that it doesn't matter what causes it to vaporise.

Dave

Mary Fisher

"David Lang" wrote in message
.uk...
Mary wrote

No they don't, any grease burns off or drains away.

Come and tell that to the greasy lava rocks in my BBQ!

Well, it doesn't happen with either of ours so you can't recommend anyone
not to have lavarock because of your experience.

No it doesn't, I've baked lemon meringue pies in ours.

Oh yes it does! Close the lid on ours for more than 5 mins and it
cremates
anything!

You don't understand how to use the controls then.

er - you do have controls ?

BBQ lemon meringue - strange!

Not at all. You don't believe me?I can send you a picture. We have a little
caravan (10') on a daughter's farm in Wales. I cooksplendid mealsfor four or
more of us on a combination of two butane gas hobs and a butane gas
barbecue. In the barbecue I bake bread, cakes, puddings, roasts ...
everything I can think of.

The fat vapourises from lava rocks!

As it does from stainless steel.

And your point is?

How can you say it gets very hot and then suggest that fat doesn't
vapourise?

I didn't! I said that it doesn't matter what causes it to vaporise.

Cut and paste: "The do nothing to improve taste and just harbour grease."

Now, how can they harbour grease if the temperature is high enough to
vapourise it?

Mary

Dave

Mary Fisher

"[news]" wrote in message

I fancy one of these

http://www.flamingbarbecues.co.uk/im.../magnum-8l.jpg

COR!

Are you feeding the 5,000?

Mary

RT

David Lang

Mary;
Now, how can they harbour grease if the temperature is high enough to
vapourise it?

Errm. Because when you turn the gas off it goes cold again!

Do you want a greasy lava rock in the post as proof?

Dave

"David Lang" wrote in message
.uk...
Mary;
Now, how can they harbour grease if the temperature is high enough to
vapourise it?

Errm. Because when you turn the gas off it goes cold again!

Do you want a greasy lava rock in the post as proof?

Dave

you are supposed to leave the bbq on for about 5 mins or so at full whack
with the lid down after use to burn all the greese off.... otherwise it does
build up and it does burn off next time but if you leave it for while a
load of nasties start to grow on the rocks.

5 mins of gas costs a few pennies but it is worth it

Mary Fisher

"a" wrote in message
"David Lang" wrote in message
.uk...
Mary;
Now, how can they harbour grease if the temperature is high enough to
vapourise it?

Errm. Because when you turn the gas off it goes cold again!

Do you want a greasy lava rock in the post as proof?

Dave

you are supposed to leave the bbq on for about 5 mins or so at full whack
with the lid down after use to burn all the greese off....

That's what I thought too.

If you use charcoal it continues to burn both grease and charcoal (thus
costing what you paid for the charcoal) after you stop cooking.

5 mins of gas costs a few pennies but it is worth it

Yes, I think you've probably put your finger on Dave's problem.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message

We have a Weber Performer solid fuel BBQ with a gas poker. It does take 20
mins to come up to temperature but it's really easy to light.

You need the poker.You need a gas supply. It uses gas.

I use a waste product, the filter papers left from processing beeswax. It's
efficient, needs no equipment except a match and works beautifully, more
quickly than anything else I've ever seen..

I keep trying to give them away to folk who use foul smelling firelighters
but they won't accept them.

Nowt so queer as folks!

Mary

Guy
-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson @ SMTP - // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M
4.45.4 4.45.4 4.45.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.45.4 4.45.4

Colin Brook

In message k on Fri, 22
Apr 2005, David Lang wrote
Hi Chris
So any recommendations on what to get, what to avoid, what to look
for?

I'd go for a big gas jobby - once you have experienced the luxury of
gas you won't want to go back to charcoal. Some good deals about now
in B&Q and Makro.

I'd agree with this and suggest you look at the Outdoor Chef range and,
in particular, something like Ascona or Ambri model but I believe that
some of their models are now made in China and have heard that the
quality isn't quite so good. They have a not very good web site at:
http://www.outdoorchef.co.uk/start.html.
They are a bit more expensive than some but the system works excellently
and mine is out all year and used 3 or 4 times a week from April through
to October. I've had this one for six or seven years and, although I
have charcoal grills as well, it's the gas one that gets used regularly.
Regards, Colin
--
Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)

Fax:+44(0)8701641293 Mobile:07976258703