Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spiral Staircase in decking

As title ... I'm considering the possibility of building one in he garden
describing a 90 degree turn rather than having two short conventional
flights with a landing in between. Anyone ever built one, got any drawings
or know where I could find some?

My main stumbling block at this stage appears to be how to support the
staircase at the narrow end - is the point it turns around (it's late -
I've forgotton the real name)

TIA

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 26, 12:21*am, Chris Wilson wrote:
As title ... I'm considering the possibility of building one in he garden
describing a 90 degree turn rather than having two short conventional
flights with a landing in between. Anyone ever built one, got any drawings
or know where I could find some?

My main stumbling block at this stage appears to be how to support the
staircase at the narrow end - is the point it turns around (it's late -
I've forgotton the real name)

TIA

--

All the best,

Chris

I had a (very old) house with spiral staircases. They were quite
dangerous to people unused to them.
They were also pretty inconvenient for getting things up and down them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Wilson wrote:

As title ... I'm considering the possibility of building one in he garden
describing a 90 degree turn rather than having two short conventional
flights with a landing in between. Anyone ever built one, got any drawings
or know where I could find some?

My garden has a very steep slope and is divided into three areas:
patio, first terrace (for formal shrubs) and the top terrace which is
decked. These are connected with steps which due to the layout have
two curved sections and one right-angle bend with a landing.

Both SWMBO and myself have managed to stumble on the curved stepped
sections, and they are quite slippery when wet. The square landing
section has proved safe as houses.

My opinion? Go with straight sections.

TF
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 23:21:49 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:

As title ... I'm considering the possibility of building one in he
garden describing a 90 degree turn rather than having two short
conventional flights with a landing in between. Anyone ever built one,
got any drawings or know where I could find some?

My main stumbling block at this stage appears to be how to support the
staircase at the narrow end - is the point it turns around (it's late -
I've forgotton the real name)

My plan is for a central column the full height of the staircase, to
which I'll attach vertical "cladding" boards (each around 2" deep) -
these I can cut to form sockets for the stair treads to slot into.

I'm more worried about the outer edge - ideally I want something quite
open, so don't want lots of supports in the way. And curving a rail in
two different dimensions is going to be interesting.

Harry makes a good point - I really like the look of spirals, but they
are a pain if you ever need to move anything bulky via them; I don't
think I'd want one without an alternative route.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 26, 12:21*am, Chris Wilson wrote:
As title ... I'm considering the possibility of building one in he garden
describing a 90 degree turn rather than having two short conventional
flights with a landing in between. Anyone ever built one, got any drawings
or know where I could find some?

My main stumbling block at this stage appears to be how to support the
staircase at the narrow end - is the point it turns around (it's late -
I've forgotton the real name)

TIA

--

All the best,

Chris

Here is a piccie of one..

Just For Fun..

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/a...piralstair.jpg

.................................................. ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rupert Bear wrote in
:

Here is a piccie of one..

Just For Fun..

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Miasma%20of%2
0info/My%20Stuff/?action=view&current=Spiralstair.jpg

How cool is that.

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Fields wrote in
:

My garden has a very steep slope and is divided into three areas:
patio, first terrace (for formal shrubs) and the top terrace which is
decked. These are connected with steps which due to the layout have
two curved sections and one right-angle bend with a landing.

Both SWMBO and myself have managed to stumble on the curved stepped
sections, and they are quite slippery when wet. The square landing
section has proved safe as houses.

My opinion? Go with straight sections.

Sounds very, very much like our garden, but this first flight of stairs
will only be going 4 feet or thereabouts and whilst I'm more than happy to
take you at your word about yours I can't see any reason why a spiral
staircase would be any more or less slippy than a straight one made of the
same materials.

.... and the total raise will only be about 4 foot over a quarter turn with
a straight lead out at the top. Still you've given me food for thought.
Thanks

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote in news:ip6grt
:

My plan is for a central column the full height of the staircase, to
which I'll attach vertical "cladding" boards (each around 2" deep) -
these I can cut to form sockets for the stair treads to slot into.

I'll have a play with tha idea, thanks.

I'm more worried about the outer edge - ideally I want something quite
open, so don't want lots of supports in the way. And curving a rail in
two different dimensions is going to be interesting.

Ah here I'm on a winner, the steps will be fully enclosed around the spiral
bit (bricks probably) to hold the garden back so I can put what I like
undernieth. :-)

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here is a piccie of one..

Just For Fun..

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/a...piralstair.jpg

Wow. That looks like it could deliver you at an alarmingly high speed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Wilson wrote:

Terry Fields wrote in
:

[...]

You're welcome.

I'd just add that our two spirals stairs are each about a 3' rise
through a right-angle..

The reason people stumble is that the tread in the centre of the way
can be less deep than the tread in a straight step, so you put your
foot down and it meets the edge of the riser, causing you to slip.

We have to warn visitors to stay on the outside of the spiral, to
benefit from the greater depth of the tread.

TF
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 27, 9:38 am, Huge wrote:

Just For Fun..

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/a...10/Miasma%20of...

How cool is that.

Ain't Photoshop kewl?

What makes you think it's fake? Judging by some of the examples at the
following URL there are some wonderfully-whacky staircases out there!

http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/201...ve-staircases/

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Rupert Bear
saying something like:

Here is a piccie of one..

Just For Fun..

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/a...piralstair.jpg

Want! Must have!
Bet that wasn't cheap.

Trapdoor for spiral staircase Theo Markettos UK diy 19 February 3rd 18 01:06 AM
Spiral staircase repair Jan Philips Home Repair 25 July 31st 10 11:25 PM
Spiral staircase size Chris Home Repair 4 March 12th 07 09:58 PM
Spiral staircase Chris Home Repair 3 August 1st 06 07:57 PM
Spiral staircase construction Doctor John Metalworking 9 February 3rd 05 03:04 PM