Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler not striking up (again)!

My inherently crap Potterton Suprima 30 is on the blink again!

This time, its not sparking.

The timer comes on, the pumps start up and the little green light on the
boiler starts blinking, but there's no sparking and the gas valve isn't
opening (I'm assuming the gas wont turn on until it starts sparking). Then a
I get a SOLID green light and the red starts flashing.

I'm unfamiliar with this light configuration, lockout is a flashing red with
no green, but this is a solid green with a flashing red.

Couple of occasions, whilst the boiler has been left on in this state, it
will suddenly strike up after a time on its own (it starts sparking and the
gas comes on and lights).

So I'm assuming its something to do with the ignition circuit? (and yes
before you ask, the thermostats are asking for heat).

I had a new PCB and Gas Valve a couple of years back, so I'm hoping its
neither of those. I did put a new lead on the ignition a couple of years
back, so I don't think its that.

Anyone give me a heads up on what I should check first?

TIA

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon (Dark Angel)" darkangel5@NO SPAM lineone.net wrote in message...
The timer comes on, the pumps start up and the little green light on the
boiler starts blinking, but there's no sparking and the gas valve isn't
opening (I'm assuming the gas wont turn on until it starts sparking). Then
a I get a SOLID green light and the red starts flashing.

Oh yeah, and the fan in the flue isn't coming on either.

Usually, the fan starts up, then you get sparking, then the gas valve opens.

None of the above is happening (though it does sometimes start up on its own
after a while)/

Fan problem you think?

Anyway to check for this?

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Simon (Dark
Angel)" writes

"Simon (Dark Angel)" darkangel5@NO SPAM lineone.net wrote in message...
The timer comes on, the pumps start up and the little green light on
the boiler starts blinking, but there's no sparking and the gas valve
isn't opening (I'm assuming the gas wont turn on until it starts
sparking). Then a I get a SOLID green light and the red starts flashing.

Oh yeah, and the fan in the flue isn't coming on either.

Usually, the fan starts up, then you get sparking, then the gas valve opens.

None of the above is happening (though it does sometimes start up on
its own after a while)/

Fan problem you think?

Until the fan operates the air pressure switch, you won't get a spark or
gas valve opening

look in your manual to see what the lights mean (p22 IIRC)

Do you have switched live to the pcb (WRT neutral, of course)

Is the stat presenting a short circuit?

Is the temp sensor OK?

DO you have 230 volts to the fan?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2011 20:50, Simon (Dark Angel) wrote:

"Simon (Dark Angel)" darkangel5@NO SPAM lineone.net wrote in message...
The timer comes on, the pumps start up and the little green light on
the boiler starts blinking, but there's no sparking and the gas valve
isn't opening (I'm assuming the gas wont turn on until it starts
sparking). Then a I get a SOLID green light and the red starts flashing.

Oh yeah, and the fan in the flue isn't coming on either.

Usually, the fan starts up, then you get sparking, then the gas valve
opens.

None of the above is happening (though it does sometimes start up on its
own after a while)/

Fan problem you think?

Anyway to check for this?

Fan problem. Or possibly fan control... It won't turn on the pilot
until it has air pressure.

Have a chat with CET Ltd for spares. He may appear later - think
yourself lucky the weather is warm so you won't freeze.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2011 20:05, Simon (Dark Angel) wrote:
[...]

Have you got an installation manual for your boiler. If so, there's a
fault-finding chart at page 30 something. Sounds like your fan isn't
working. If the pressure switch doesn't detect any pressure from the
fan, it doesn't even try to light the gas.

If you haven't got a manual, go to http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/ and
navigate to your boiler. There you'll find a manual in html - rather
than pdf - format, but better that than nothing!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message ...
look in your manual to see what the lights mean (p22 IIRC)

Ah-ha, found it this time, it says...

"Blocking - Mains Frequency incorrect or Air Switch"

So, something to do with the air switch then?

I assume first thing to do is check to see if the fan has got power to it
then, yes?

It's kinda late in the evening now, so will have to tackle this again
tomorrow evening when i get back from work.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
[...]

Later ?

I've already given him a checklist to work on

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
[...]

Fault finding chart?

That's for amateurs

vee don't neeed no steenkin' fault finding chart

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2011 22:25, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

Have you got an installation manual for your boiler. If so, there's a
fault-finding chart at page 30 something.

Fault finding chart?

That's for amateurs

vee don't neeed no steenkin' fault finding chart

You might not! But the OP *is* an amateur, and almost certainly doesn't
have your detailed knowledge of the start-up sequence. There's nothing
wrong with that!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 10/04/2011 22:25, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

Have you got an installation manual for your boiler. If so, there's a
fault-finding chart at page 30 something.

Fault finding chart?

That's for amateurs

vee don't neeed no steenkin' fault finding chart

You might not! But the OP *is* an amateur, and almost certainly doesn't
have your detailed knowledge of the start-up sequence. There's nothing
wrong with that!

He doesn't need it

I'm here as always

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2011 01:40, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 10/04/2011 22:25, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

Have you got an installation manual for your boiler. If so, there's a
fault-finding chart at page 30 something.

Fault finding chart?

That's for amateurs

vee don't neeed no steenkin' fault finding chart

You might not! But the OP *is* an amateur, and almost certainly
doesn't have your detailed knowledge of the start-up sequence. There's
nothing wrong with that!

He doesn't need it

I'm here as always

Give a man a fish, and all that . . .
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
news

Is the temp sensor OK?

Right, I think I might have made a discovery here.

When I lowered the PCB housing to take a look at the wiring, the boiler
suddenly clicked on and fired up OK.

When I went to screw it back on to the boiler, it stopped again.

So I started looking at all the plugs on the PCB, when I wiggled the yellow
wires, which I believe go to the temperature sensor, it suddenly sprang to
life.

So I'm thinking loose connection on the temp sensor at the PCB end?

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2011 22:22, geoff wrote:

Later ?

I've already given him a checklist to work on

Crossed posts Think of it as a free advert.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 11, 1:40*am, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

On 10/04/2011 22:25, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

Have you got an installation manual for your boiler. If so, there's a
fault-finding chart at page 30 something.

Fault finding chart?

That's for amateurs

vee don't neeed no steenkin' fault finding chart

You might not! But the OP *is* an amateur, and almost certainly doesn't
have your detailed knowledge of the start-up sequence. There's nothing
wrong with that!

He doesn't need it

I'm here as always

--
geoff

you know**** all stick to mending fans you has make 4 replys . Still
you has not told the
bloke waht is wrong with his boiller You are a ****en troll you know
**** all.Go and mend fans

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chas wrote:
On Apr 11, 1:40 am, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

On 10/04/2011 22:25, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

Have you got an installation manual for your boiler. If so,
there's a fault-finding chart at page 30 something.

Fault finding chart?

That's for amateurs

vee don't neeed no steenkin' fault finding chart

You might not! But the OP *is* an amateur, and almost certainly
doesn't have your detailed knowledge of the start-up sequence.
There's nothing wrong with that!

He doesn't need it

I'm here as always

--
geoff

you know**** all stick to mending fans you has make 4 replys . Still
you has not told the
bloke waht is wrong with his boiller You are a ****en troll you know
**** all.Go and mend fans

It seems Geoff has a fan club.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Simon (Dark
Angel)" writes
"geoff" wrote in message
news

Is the temp sensor OK?

Right, I think I might have made a discovery here.

When I lowered the PCB housing to take a look at the wiring, the boiler
suddenly clicked on and fired up OK.

When I went to screw it back on to the boiler, it stopped again.

So I started looking at all the plugs on the PCB, when I wiggled the
yellow wires, which I believe go to the temperature sensor, it suddenly
sprang to life.

So I'm thinking loose connection on the temp sensor at the PCB end?

You will not find anything about this in the flow chart ...

So, is it the pcb connector or the loom wire then?

It wasn't a pcb from me, was it, prolly the pcb con nector

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
chas writes
On Apr 11, 1:40*am, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

[...]

Bloody hell, is it half term again ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 10/04/2011 22:25, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

Have you got an installation manual for your boiler. If so, there's a
fault-finding chart at page 30 something.

Fault finding chart?

That's for amateurs

vee don't neeed no steenkin' fault finding chart

You might not! But the OP *is* an amateur, and almost certainly doesn't
have your detailed knowledge of the start-up sequence. There's nothing
wrong with that!

And, wouldn't have found the fault in the fault finding chart

Nowhere does it say "Is your pcb falling apart?"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
chas wrote:
On Apr 11, 1:40 am, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

[...]

He's sulking because I refused to have sex with him

he doesn't have anyone to wank him off now that chas and dave have
split up

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
chas wrote:
On Apr 11, 1:40 am, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

[...]

I hope that his right hand is better at wanking than writing.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message...
So, is it the pcb connector or the loom wire then?

I'm thinking loose wire in the plug.

It wasn't a pcb from me, was it, prolly the pcb con nector

It was one of yours yes, had it a couple of years now.

I'm guessing its the plug on the end of the wire, as opposed to the PCB. I'm
going to take a closer look on my next day off.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Simon (Dark
Angel)" writes
"geoff" wrote in message...
So, is it the pcb connector or the loom wire then?

I'm thinking loose wire in the plug.

It wasn't a pcb from me, was it, prolly the pcb con nector

It was one of yours yes, had it a couple of years now.

I'm guessing its the plug on the end of the wire, as opposed to the
PCB. I'm going to take a closer look on my next day off.

Ah well, you know where I am

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 11, 9:52*pm, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

On 10/04/2011 22:25, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

Have you got an installation manual for your boiler. If so, there's a
fault-finding chart at page 30 something.

Fault finding chart?

That's for amateurs

vee don't neeed no steenkin' fault finding chart

You might not! But the OP *is* an amateur, and almost certainly doesn't
have your detailed knowledge of the start-up sequence. There's nothing
wrong with that!

And, wouldn't have found the fault in the fault finding chart

Nowhere does it say "Is your pcb falling apart?"

--
geoff

you thick thick **** you did nto tell the bloke what iswrong with the
boilr
.. You thick thick ****

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chas wrote:
On Apr 11, 9:52 pm, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

Nice spelling. Are you illiterate or a thick ****?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

you thick thick **** you did nto tell the bloke what iswrong with the
boilr
. You thick thick ****

Nice spelling. Are you illiterate or a thick ****?

Probably TNP, he spells like that when he is ****ed, and he is ****ed a lot
of the time going by his spelling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

you thick thick **** you did nto tell the bloke what iswrong with
the boilr
. You thick thick ****

Nice spelling. Are you illiterate or a thick ****?

Probably TNP, he spells like that when he is ****ed, and he is ****ed
a lot of the time going by his spelling.

Did nursey help you write that?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
chas writes
On Apr 11, 9:52*pm, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

On 10/04/2011 22:25, geoff wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

Have you got an installation manual for your boiler. If so, there's a
fault-finding chart at page 30 something.

Fault finding chart?

That's for amateurs

vee don't neeed no steenkin' fault finding chart

You might not! But the OP *is* an amateur, and almost certainly doesn't
have your detailed knowledge of the start-up sequence. There's nothing
wrong with that!

And, wouldn't have found the fault in the fault finding chart

Nowhere does it say "Is your pcb falling apart?"

--
geoff

you thick thick **** you did nto tell the bloke what iswrong with the
boilr
. You thick thick ****

Sorry, not playing ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message...
Ah well, you know where I am

Hope your still reading this.

Well having done some tinkering today, I'm not sure but I think there might
be a problem with the PCB.

When I "wiggled" (for want of a better word) either of the plugs that
connect the temperature sensor or the boiler thermostat control to the PCB,
the boiler would strike up.

Have removed the pcb and examined the solder connections, can't see anything
wrong and have tested continuity between these plug and the back of the PCB
and all seems well.

Was wondering if there's a break somewhere on the board that was connecting
when one of the connectors was "wiggled" as it were?

Just trying to make head nor tail of the wiring diagram to see what else to
test for (I have experience with electrics, but not electronic fault
finding).

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Quick addendum.

Removed the plug to the temperature sensor, tested the yellow wires, no
continuity.

Removed the plug to the Temperature control and turned it to max. There was
continuity between the 2 orange wires and continuity between the 2 white
wires.

Removed the plug to the air pressure switch, tested the orange wires, no
continuity.

Any ideas?

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Simon (Dark
Angel)" writes
"geoff" wrote in message...
Ah well, you know where I am

Hope your still reading this.

Well having done some tinkering today, I'm not sure but I think there
might be a problem with the PCB.

When I "wiggled" (for want of a better word) either of the plugs that
connect the temperature sensor or the boiler thermostat control to the
PCB, the boiler would strike up.

Have removed the pcb and examined the solder connections, can't see
anything wrong and have tested continuity between these plug and the
back of the PCB and all seems well.

Was wondering if there's a break somewhere on the board that was
connecting when one of the connectors was "wiggled" as it were?

Just trying to make head nor tail of the wiring diagram to see what
else to test for (I have experience with electrics, but not electronic
fault finding).

Its only electrics where the fault lies from what you've said

If the connector pins and their pads on the pcb look OK (check carefully
in good light), then the next port of call has to be the loom wiring. If
you have a broken wire where it attaches to a connector, you won't
notice it as the insulation is also crimped to the pin. Give the wire a
gentle tug to see if there is any elasticity there

Also, check that one of the pads hasn't cracked away from the track it
should be attached to on the solder side of the pcb. The Suprima pcb
itself is a real cheap and nasty bit of kit

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Simon (Dark
Angel)" writes
Quick addendum.

Removed the plug to the temperature sensor, tested the yellow wires, no
continuity.

That's because the temperature sensor has a resistance of 1MOhm at 20C.
You need to test it with a decent meter

Removed the plug to the Temperature control and turned it to max. There
was continuity between the 2 orange wires and continuity between the 2
white wires.

The pot will go from 0 - 1MOhm, the other two wires are to the switch.
Not sure why they should be short circuit when the pot is set to max
though, I'll check tomorrow

Removed the plug to the air pressure switch, tested the orange wires,
no continuity.

They are the common and normally open connections on the microswitch.
When the fan operates the APS, the contacts will be short circuit

Any ideas?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message...
That's because the temperature sensor has a resistance of 1MOhm at 20C.
You need to test it with a decent meter

I tested it at 2M ohm, but will check again.

The pot will go from 0 - 1MOhm, the other two wires are to the switch. Not
sure why they should be short circuit when the pot is set to max though,
I'll check tomorrow

If I read the flow chart right, its supposed to be short circuit?

They are the common and normally open connections on the microswitch. When
the fan operates the APS, the contacts will be short circuit

I reconnected the plug and turned the power on, was getting voltage on both
pins if that's of any help?

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message...
Its only electrics where the fault lies from what you've said

If the connector pins and their pads on the pcb look OK (check carefully
in good light), then the next port of call has to be the loom wiring. If
you have a broken wire where it attaches to a connector, you won't notice
it as the insulation is also crimped to the pin. Give the wire a gentle
tug to see if there is any elasticity there

Also, check that one of the pads hasn't cracked away from the track it
should be attached to on the solder side of the pcb. The Suprima pcb
itself is a real cheap and nasty bit of kit

With the plugs connected (and the power off) I checked for continuity
between where the cable terminates in the plug, and the solder joint on the
back of the PCB, and got a continuity reading on all terminals.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon (Dark Angel)" darkangel5@NO SPAM lineone.net wrote in message

With the plugs connected (and the power off) I checked for continuity
between where the cable terminates in the plug, and the solder joint on
the back of the PCB, and got a continuity reading on all terminals.

That tests the conductivity of the solder.
A common failure on PCBs is that the pad lifts from the board and breaks the
copper track that connects to the pad.
You need to do the test between the pad and another on the same track and do
a visual check with a magnifier.
If its broken you will need to run a piece of wire to repair the track.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Simon (Dark
Angel)" writes
"geoff" wrote in message...
Its only electrics where the fault lies from what you've said

If the connector pins and their pads on the pcb look OK (check
carefully in good light), then the next port of call has to be the
loom wiring. If you have a broken wire where it attaches to a
connector, you won't notice it as the insulation is also crimped to
the pin. Give the wire a gentle tug to see if there is any elasticity there

Also, check that one of the pads hasn't cracked away from the track
it should be attached to on the solder side of the pcb. The Suprima
pcb itself is a real cheap and nasty bit of kit

With the plugs connected (and the power off) I checked for continuity
between where the cable terminates in the plug, and the solder joint on
the back of the PCB, and got a continuity reading on all terminals.

Well it looks like you have something not giving a good connection in
that area, or your fiddling is disturbing something else in the loom

It looks like its down to fiddling about and observation now

There's a bad connection somewhere, you just have to find it ... no
mysterious or devious electronics fault, no need to go around measuring
voltages and such like

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Simon (Dark Angel)" darkangel5@NO SPAM lineone.net wrote in message

With the plugs connected (and the power off) I checked for continuity
between where the cable terminates in the plug, and the solder joint
on the back of the PCB, and got a continuity reading on all terminals.

That tests the conductivity of the solder.
A common failure on PCBs is that the pad lifts from the board and
breaks the copper track that connects to the pad.
You need to do the test between the pad and another on the same track
and do a visual check with a magnifier.
If its broken you will need to run a piece of wire to repair the track.

Dennis - you are entering territory where you know less than you know
about most things you know **** all about

I on the other hand, really do know how to get to the bottom of this

so be a good boy and **** off and leave me to it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Simon (Dark
Angel)" writes
Quick addendum.

Removed the plug to the temperature sensor, tested the yellow wires, no
continuity.

Removed the plug to the Temperature control and turned it to max. There
was continuity between the 2 orange wires and continuity between the 2
white wires.

Removed the plug to the air pressure switch, tested the orange wires,
no continuity.

Any ideas?

Can you be in front of the boiler tomorrow

It might be worth you giving me a ring at work and I can lead you
through in real time

01923 229224

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message...
Can you be in front of the boiler tomorrow

I appreciate the offer, however I don't get back from work till 530 pm

Don't suppose you'll still be available at that time?