Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default replacing just a few bath/shower tiles?

Hi all
I think a few of the tiles around our bath/shower have had the
plaster underneath 'blown'. The tiles look slightly discoloured, and
sound a little hollow when tapped, compared to other tiles elsewhere.
They are the bottom row of tiles (ie. the ones just above the bath)
and are the ones where the flow from the shower will hit most.

I am guessing that some water from the shower has got behind these
tiles (either at the grouting, or at the tile/bath seal) and caused
the plaster behind to expand.

Would it be possible/easy just to remove just the tiles in this row or
part row, clean up the grouting on the adjacent tiles, clean up the
plasterboard, and refit with new tiles? I have spare tiles, luckily.
I'm unsure whether removing the grouting from the edges of the
adjacent remaining towels will be a hassle, and if so the best way to
do this.

Any other suggestions and pointers gratefully received. Oh, fairly
obviously I am reconciled to replacing the bath/tile seal as well.

Thanks
J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 4, 4:26*pm, jkn wrote:
[...]

Its doable, yes. Use a bradawl or grout rake to cut through the grout
and adhesive around the tile. But if theyre on plasterboard, odds are
removing one or 2 will cause more to fail, and is best avoided unless
unavoidable.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Hi there

On Apr 4, 10:16*pm, Tabby wrote:

Its doable, yes. Use a bradawl or grout rake to cut through the grout
and adhesive around the tile. But if theyre on plasterboard, odds are
removing one or 2 will cause more to fail, and is best avoided unless
unavoidable.

The tiling is onto a proper plastered wall, not a partition wall.

Ta
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 4, 11:48*pm, jkn wrote:
Hi there

On Apr 4, 10:16*pm, Tabby wrote:

Its doable, yes. Use a bradawl or grout rake to cut through the grout
and adhesive around the tile. But if theyre on plasterboard, odds are
removing one or 2 will cause more to fail, and is best avoided unless
unavoidable.

The tiling is onto a proper plastered wall, not a partition wall.

* * Ta
* * J^n

Good - then you need a grout rake or bradawl. If the job is a 'need'
for some reason.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:

... and is best avoided unless unavoidable.

Hmm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Apr 5, 12:29*am, Tabby wrote:

The tiling is onto a proper plastered wall, not a partition wall.

* * Ta
* * J^n

Good - then you need a grout rake or bradawl. If the job is a 'need'
for some reason.

Thanks - but sorry, don't get what you mean by "If the job is a 'need'
for some reason.". Do you mean 'if you really need to do it'?

Ta,
J^n