john Smith

Default which comes first...bath or tiles

Hello (again)

is there an order to decorating a bathroom.

Do you fix a baton to a wall and tile the room leaving a gap for the bath,
add the bath and then fill in the

remaining tiles.

Or do you add the bath, add the baton, tile the room, remove the baton then
tile down to the bath.

A but confused as I am telephone engineer and not a tiler ;-)

Thanks

RedOnRed

"john Smith" wrote in message
news
Hello (again)

is there an order to decorating a bathroom.

Do you fix a baton to a wall and tile the room leaving a gap for the bath,
add the bath and then fill in the

remaining tiles.

Or do you add the bath, add the baton, tile the room, remove the baton
then tile down to the bath.

A but confused as I am telephone engineer and not a tiler ;-)

Thanks

Most definitely add the bath first and then tile around it. At least that's
what the guy did that I payed to come in and do the work.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:36:51 GMT, "john Smith"
wrote:

is there an order to decorating a bathroom.

Boots first, then corset.

Oh, sorry - that's _next_ weekend.

Dave Jones

"john Smith" wrote in message
news
Hello (again)

is there an order to decorating a bathroom.

Do you fix a baton to a wall and tile the room leaving a gap for the bath,
add the bath and then fill in the

remaining tiles.

Or do you add the bath, add the baton, tile the room, remove the baton
then tile down to the bath.

A but confused as I am telephone engineer and not a tiler ;-)

Thanks

Bath in first, then place thin hardboard or thick cardboard, looking for
about 3mm then use bath and batons at same level. (depends on ceiling height
and tile size, you don't really want a cut less than 50mm around ceiling)

i.e. ceiling 2400, -bath at 500 height, / tile 250 = 7.6 tile from bath, 2
tiles down to floor. Less cuts, quicker job, keeps the misses happy!

If you get a sheet of 3mm hardboard same size as bath, stops the bath
getting full of ****!

If you place a baton around higher than bath, bath may go in later, will
give more room to work but will take longer due to the extra cuts.

Stefek Zaba

Andy Dingley wrote:

is there an order to decorating a bathroom.

Boots first, then corset.

Look, if you're going to do this, respect the Labs convention: warn
Stefek "joke follows" *before* the joke. Otherwise, the screen gets
splattered with tea+spittle, the nasal passages get a tea wash, and the
resulting washings end up all over the keyboard.

Not hygenic, not welcome.

;-)

Stuart Noble

The normal way is to install the bath, then do all the tiling, then fit the
basin and cistern.
A plumber will probably prefer to fit all 3 at the same time but, if you
have the tiles on site, get him to leave a gap behind basin and cistern as
they are usually impossible to tile up to neatly.

Dave Jones

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
The normal way is to install the bath, then do all the tiling, then fit
the basin and cistern.
A plumber will probably prefer to fit all 3 at the same time but, if you
have the tiles on site, get him to leave a gap behind basin and cistern as
they are usually impossible to tile up to neatly.

Who mention the basin and cistern?!!

Easier to get one guy to do the lot.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Noble
The normal way is to install the bath, then do all the tiling, then fit the
basin and cistern.
A plumber will probably prefer to fit all 3 at the same time but, if you
have the tiles on site, get him to leave a gap behind basin and cistern as
they are usually impossible to tile up to neatly.
Modern baths are so flexible you must fix them into the wall really tight and overlap them with tiles or you'll end up with leaks.

Basin is rigid so you can tile the wall behind it first, blob silicone on the back of the basin as well as fixing it with two screws. Silicone it to the pedestal, finish transition between the back and the tiles with silicone.

Many toilets are now close coupled button flush which have no provision for fixing to wall. Again tile first, and sit it up against the tiles. Fix pan with the usual two brass screws.
Anna Kettle

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:36:54 -0000, "Stuart Noble"
wrote:

The normal way is to install the bath, then do all the tiling, then fit the
basin and cistern.

But is it the best way? In a large bathroom the floor and walls are
tiled first, then the bath planted in the middle of the room. In a
small bathroom the bath is up against a wall and as it is cheaper to
not tile behind the bath thats what generally happens, but on the
other hand tiles behind and under the bath would provide waterproofing
protection

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Paul Barker wrote:
Stuart Noble Wrote:
[...]

The cisterns still have two screw holes above the water line to fix to
the wall. I don't see why the type of flush affects this.

MBQ

Huge wrote:

Most definitely tile first, then add the bath. That's what I did.

That's what I would do in an ideal world, but still wanted/needed to
use my bath so the bath went in first. Same for the toilet. Last
thing to go in was the basin.

StealthUK

john Smith wrote:
Hello (again)

is there an order to decorating a bathroom.

Do you fix a baton to a wall and tile the room leaving a gap for the

bath,
add the bath and then fill in the

remaining tiles.

Or do you add the bath, add the baton, tile the room, remove the

baton then
tile down to the bath.

A but confused as I am telephone engineer and not a tiler ;-)

I've always fitted the bath then tiled because it aids in securing the
bath and you'll get a better waterproof seal between it and the wall,
especially if the wall is not exactly straight.

Set Square

StealthUK wrote:

john Smith wrote:
Hello (again)

is there an order to decorating a bathroom.

Do you fix a baton to a wall and tile the room leaving a gap for the
bath, add the bath and then fill in the

remaining tiles.

Or do you add the bath, add the baton, tile the room, remove the
baton then tile down to the bath.

A but confused as I am telephone engineer and not a tiler ;-)

I've always fitted the bath then tiled because it aids in securing the
bath and you'll get a better waterproof seal between it and the wall,
especially if the wall is not exactly straight.

Tile *nearly* down to the bath (needs a temporary batten to support the
lowest row). You don't want the bath in place while you're doing this!

Then install the bath. Then remove the batten, and cut the bottom row to fit
down to the bath - with a little gap for sealant. When the tiles have well
stuck, apply a bead of sealant between tiles and bath - with the bath full
of water.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
The cisterns still have two screw holes above the water line to fix to
the wall. I don't see why the type of flush affects this.

MBQ
They don't all have holes for screws.

How to replace a shower when I don't have matching tiles Richard Hamer UK diy 7 January 9th 05 07:10 PM
Sealing a bath up against tiles Richard UK diy 1 December 10th 04 02:05 PM
Refitting a bathroom Dave UK diy 7 November 22nd 04 11:11 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Bath Replacement and Damaged Tiles D Hatje UK diy 4 October 27th 03 09:58 AM