Eric and Megan Swope

Default replacing bath tub with a shower stall

Hi everyone. I am looking to replace my bath tub with a fiberglass shower
stall. The one part of the project I am unsure about is a shower pan. I
know if I was going to tile my shower floor, wall, etc. that I need this.
Do I still need it with a fiberglass shower stall? After reading some
sites, I have seen the base for these stalls, but saw nothing about creating
a shower pan for a fiberglass shower stall?

If anyone has any links they are willing to share I would appreciate that as
well. Thanks.

Rudy

After reading some sites, I have seen the base for these stalls, but saw
nothing about creating a shower pan for a fiberglass shower stall?

Many fiberglass or acrylic shower stalls already have a "floor" in them,
therefore shower pan isnt required.
Our tile shower has a concrete base as opposed to a "pan"

willshak

On 8/23/2005 12:05 AM US(ET), Eric and Megan Swope took fingers to keys,
and typed the following:

Hi everyone. I am looking to replace my bath tub with a fiberglass shower
stall. The one part of the project I am unsure about is a shower pan. I
know if I was going to tile my shower floor, wall, etc. that I need this.
Do I still need it with a fiberglass shower stall? After reading some
sites, I have seen the base for these stalls, but saw nothing about creating
a shower pan for a fiberglass shower stall?

If anyone has any links they are willing to share I would appreciate that as
well. Thanks.

As Rudy said, some shower stalls come with bases. I have a 4' shower
stall that is all one molded piece, base, side walls and back, and a one
piece 5' tub/shower enclosure. If you want to use the whole 5' space
where the tub is currently installed, see here for an example:
http://www.arpbathtubs.com/S6035R.htm , otherwise check the other types
out he http://www.arpbathtubs.com/specs.html
When my shower stall and tub/shower enclosure were installed, they put a
bed of wet concrete in the spaces before setting the units in place,
thereby giving the fiberglass bases more support.

--
Bill
Speedy Jim

willshak wrote:
SNIP
When my shower stall and tub/shower enclosure were installed, they put a
bed of wet concrete in the spaces before setting the units in place,
thereby giving the fiberglass bases more support.

Yes! The cement bed is essential to give the base support.
It doesn't need to be concrete w/aggregate; a "sand mix"
is adequate.

Jim
User Example

Speedy Jim wrote:
willshak wrote:
SNIP

When my shower stall and tub/shower enclosure were installed, they put
a bed of wet concrete in the spaces before setting the units in place,
thereby giving the fiberglass bases more support.

Yes! The cement bed is essential to give the base support.
It doesn't need to be concrete w/aggregate; a "sand mix"
is adequate.

They didn't put anything under our fiberglass tub and it creaks like you
wouldn't believe. Good thing I never use it and my wife doesn't weigh much.

Eric and Megan Swope

Thanks for the advice. I saw on the one site, instead of making a mortar
bed, the builder used 1/2 durock cement backer board to fill the gap between
the subfloor and the bottom of the shower base. He then used liquid nails
to adhere the base to the durock. Would this be acceptable as well?

"User Example" wrote in message
.. .
Speedy Jim wrote:
willshak wrote:
SNIP

When my shower stall and tub/shower enclosure were installed, they put a
bed of wet concrete in the spaces before setting the units in place,
thereby giving the fiberglass bases more support.

Yes! The cement bed is essential to give the base support.
It doesn't need to be concrete w/aggregate; a "sand mix"
is adequate.

They didn't put anything under our fiberglass tub and it creaks like you
wouldn't believe. Good thing I never use it and my wife doesn't weigh
much.

willshak

On 8/23/2005 3:26 PM US(ET), Eric and Megan Swope took fingers to keys,
and typed the following:

Thanks for the advice. I saw on the one site, instead of making a mortar
bed, the builder used 1/2 durock cement backer board to fill the gap between
the subfloor and the bottom of the shower base. He then used liquid nails
to adhere the base to the durock. Would this be acceptable as well?

The reason they use cement is that it will form to the base of the
shower. Usually, the shower base is not flat, but is dished so that the
water will run towards the drain. I don't think any backer board will
conform to the dish shape of the base.

"User Example" wrote in message
. ..

Speedy Jim wrote: