Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car Insurance (OT)

Not exactly do it yourself but I just wondered if anyone else has had this
experience or if its just me.

I bought a new car yesterday ( that is I ordered it two weeks ago and
yesterday I collected it). Its a Mazda 2 ( 1.5 engine). I got lots of
extras as part of the deal ( for free as they say) from Mazda, including
insurance for a week to enable me to bring the car home without them
having to mess with my insurance sending out cover notes for them to tax it.

Anyway, I sold my old car part exchange . I got the new one home and rang up
yesterday afternoon to change the insurance and the bloke at the call
centre ( direct line by the way) told me off for daring to buy a new car
without getting their permission first.
I was just shocked and quite upset at being told I wasn't allowed to buy a
new car without getting their approval first.

Has anyone else had this or did I just get a weird call centre guy? My OH
thinks its funny but its upset me and spoilt having a new car for me.
Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like time to change insurers, and inform them why. NFU are good value
for me.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:40:47 +0000, sweetheart wrote:

I bought a new car yesterday ( that is I ordered it two weeks ago and
yesterday I collected it). Its a Mazda 2 ( 1.5 engine). I got lots
of extras as part of the deal ( for free as they say) from Mazda,
including insurance for a week to enable me to bring the car home
without them having to mess with my insurance sending out cover notes
for them to tax it.

Perfectly normal, done that for several cars.

Anyway, I sold my old car part exchange . I got the new one home and
rang up yesterday afternoon to change the insurance and the bloke at
the call centre ( direct line by the way) told me off for daring to buy
a new car without getting their permission first. I was just shocked
and quite upset at being told I wasn't allowed to buy a new car without
getting their approval first.

Has anyone else had this or did I just get a weird call centre guy? My
OH thinks its funny but its upset me and spoilt having a new car for me.

You got a weird call centre guy. I'd ask to speak to his supervisor. He
has no right at all to do that. In fact, I'd be tempted to cancel and go
somewhere else.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

I've moved away from DL for motor and home insurance as a result of
offhand attitudes, unwillingness to negotiate on price, long delays on
their phone lines etc.
Churchill seem much better and handled a recent claim superbly.
Seems crazy that they have the same parent company as DL!
I also use Direct Line for Business, a differetn arm of the same company
and they are efficient, courteous and very reasonable with lower than
inflation price increases for property insurance on a house I rent out.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Just to be charitable, maybe the call centre guy missed the way that you
told him that the dealer had the car insured for a week, and was under
the impression that you'd driven it home without insurance, as they
weren't told to provide cover?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 10:40, sweetheart wrote:
[...]

Sadly as with many other walks of life there are many people in call
centres who are under trained, badly trained or simply believe they know
more than they do.

One of my favourites was being told it was illegal to cover more than 1
car on an insurance policy.

Then having FCII, Chartered Insurer behind my name I enquired whether
his employers issued separate policies for every vehicle in fleets of
1,000 plus vehicles. He insisted they did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
I've moved away from DL for motor and home insurance as a result of
offhand attitudes, unwillingness to negotiate on price, long delays on
their phone lines etc.

I *was* with DL for 2 cars and home insurance, more or less from when they
started out. Then a couple of years ago, in the middle of a recession,
they tried to put up the home premium by 40%. And I've never claimed on it.
Getting a quote for the house on their website resulted in one about a
quarter of that renewal premium. Phone calls and even writing to them
failed to get a resolution, so I changed to another company.

I really can't understand this drive for new customers while p***ing off
existing good ones.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , sweetheart
hotmail.com@?.? scribeth thus
Not exactly do it yourself but I just wondered if anyone else has had this
experience or if its just me.

I bought a new car yesterday ( that is I ordered it two weeks ago and
yesterday I collected it). Its a Mazda 2 ( 1.5 engine). I got lots of
extras as part of the deal ( for free as they say) from Mazda, including
insurance for a week to enable me to bring the car home without them
having to mess with my insurance sending out cover notes for them to tax it.

Anyway, I sold my old car part exchange . I got the new one home and rang up
yesterday afternoon to change the insurance and the bloke at the call
centre ( direct line by the way) told me off for daring to buy a new car
without getting their permission first.

Tell him to feck off, theres plenty of competition in this area.

YOU are their customer and as much as they might not like it you are
paying them and an oik like that needs to be removed from their call
centre.
If anyone did that to me they'd be history now. Fortunately our brokers
are all rather helpful and polite and are as well priced as online and
we've been with them for some 20 odd years now...

I was just shocked and quite upset at being told I wasn't allowed to buy a
new car without getting their approval first.

Has anyone else had this or did I just get a weird call centre guy? My OH
thinks its funny but its upset me and spoilt having a new car for me.
Thanks.

As above theres plenty more insurance fish in the sea. If you need a
good broker 01480 393939 .. Four counties at St Ives Cambs...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
I've moved away from DL for motor and home insurance as a result of
offhand attitudes, unwillingness to negotiate on price, long delays on
their phone lines etc.

I *was* with DL for 2 cars and home insurance, more or less from when they
started out.

Yes, so were we. In fact we ( my OH and me) started with them back in 1985.

Then a couple of years ago, in the middle of a recession,
they tried to put up the home premium by 40%.

Yes, they seem to have done that to us as well but I had so many things on
it seemed easier to just allow it to renew.
They have also done some strange things like , without asking add green flag
cover and a courtesy car and upped the excess we would pay.

being remiss I didnt see any of this until I got told off for not telling
them and told I should look at the details. The thing was, they sent me a
renewal notice and said, if you are ahppy with this then you dont have to do
anything it will automatically renew. Inertia gets me and I dont act. But
its sneaky to change the cover when they say that they are sending a re
newal surely? I expected it to be the same as I took out originally.

I saw this especially yesterday because Mazda have also given me 3 years
RAC cover including Europe Assist - so the full works and I wanted to remove
green flag ( which I hadnt known about anyway and had Britannia Rescue
myself for me and OH's car) but they told me I could not do that.

So I ended up paying an extra 16pounds admin fee to just change the car
over.

They are not cheap. Even with discount ( so called ) for two cars, they are
dearer than others now.

I got a quote of AXA ( can anyone say what they are like? ) for £161 like
for like minus green falg and stuff. Direct line even online and
pretending I am a new customer want to charge me £206 . Do they still
belong to RBS? I asked RBS to quote and they offerred a so called discount
for me having home insurance with them. That was £206 too. I was charged
£291 for my old car and I am still paying an extra £16 admin to change to
a cheaper car.

he told me I could cancel it if I wanted but I wouldnt be able to get a
refund on the two months I have to run until the end of the Renault cover.

All this shoocl me because when I changed car last time ( 3 years ago - a
new car then too) they made adjustments to the old policy to account for a
lower premium on the new car and I dodnt have to pay any admin fee for
asking them to swap it. I am a captive customer effectively at the moment. I
cant move without losing money and if I want the car insured ( and husband
to drive) I have to pay the fee.

And I've never claimed on it.

No , neither have I.
Sorry to go on so much. I am just so upset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-03-13, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I really can't understand this drive for new customers while p***ing off
existing good ones.

Obviously, enough existing customers remain to justify ****ing off a
few.

Yes, they are daft like me. But its really inertia. Its hard work,
especially when you go out to work as well, to keep swapping insurance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
I really can't understand this drive for new customers while p***ing
off existing good ones.

Obviously, enough existing customers remain to justify ****ing off a
few.

This certainly was the case when changing companies took a bit of effort.
But making it easy to get new customers via the web means it's also easy
to change.

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:40:47 -0000, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

[...]

Never heard anything like it. You will get an invitation from the 6
day insurers to continue the cover. Take them up on it unless they are
daft money. Tell DL to go stuff themselves and make sure they know why
and the time of your conversation. They might as well make use of the
recordings they make for real training purposes. Or sackings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ericp" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:40:47 -0000, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Never heard anything like it. You will get an invitation from the 6
day insurers to continue the cover. Take them up on it unless they are
daft money. Tell DL to go stuff themselves and make sure they know why
and the time of your conversation. They might as well make use of the
recordings they make for real training purposes. Or sackings.

Well I am thinking of giving direct line the boot. I have a quote from
Tesco of all people for £185 for better cover. I haven't been offered
anything more permanent from Mazda though ( at least not yet, the insurance
they gave me is up Friday) .
The trouble is I have paid the £16 to swap over yesterday and I suspect if I
try to cancel now they will swipe me with a cancellation fee too.

Is it possible to just let it run ( its until May and I pay yearly, so its
not a monthly out of my account) and take a new insurance out? Or is that
illegal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 17:31, sweetheart wrote:

"Ericp" wrote in message
[...]

If you have an annual contract your insurers may charge if you cancel it
early. IF it is your first year with that company they will charge you
short term rates.

You appear to have transferred your existing annual policy to your your
new car. If your annual policy expires in May you are free to renew with
your existing insurer or insure with anyone else at that stage.

If you arrange a new policy now and leave your old one running that
could cause problems in the event of a claim. Both policies might
exclude cover where there was other insurance in force and the companies
would have to come to some agreement as to which would handle it and who
would pay what. Proof of NCD entitlement might also be a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
wrote

Yes, they are daft like me. But its really inertia. Its hard work,
especially when you go out to work as well, to keep swapping insurance.

In my experience, with a good no claims record, changing every year
saves me around £200/£300 on the renewal quotes (Car/House/Buildings).
Inertia can be the expensive option.

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 11:29, John Williamson wrote:

Just to be charitable, maybe the call centre guy missed the way that you
told him that the dealer had the car insured for a week, and was under
the impression that you'd driven it home without insurance, as they
weren't told to provide cover?

That sounds exactly right to me; ie he wrongly thought the OP had
assumed her cover would just transfer over to the new vehicle.

To the OP: I strongly recommend reading Martin Lewis at
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance
and following his guide - you can definitely save a lot that way. And
one good thing about these sites like Gocompare etc, where you have to
enter all your details to get a quote from dozens of companies (yawn) -
you can save your details and go back next year for another quote - dead
quick.

Oh, and take note of what he says about using Cashback sites too.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

He perhaps overlooked the point that you had another insurance for 1
week. Just ignore it.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 13/03/2011 10:40, sweetheart wrote:

He perhaps overlooked the point that you had another insurance for 1 week.
Just ignore it.

I would if I could have given him the benefit of that doubt but he clearly
understood that I had got an insurance for the new car.

It wasnt the only thing he said. There were several things that got to me
including being treated as if I was either a mad drunk or a drug addict as
he warned me about invalidating my insurance if I did those things ( very
sternl;y) Excuse me but a fifty odd years old I am well past that. besides
in my little neck of the woods drugs was something only done by the arty and
stupid in my day. The rest of us couldnt afford it if we had known where to
go anyway.
Same for drink. My mother would have killed me when young. Besides its on
record that we are t- total in this house. I just felt demeaned to be
honest.
Told off for getting a new car .... for drinking when I dont, for being a
druggie when I am not . I have never claimed, had any convictions or have so
much as a black mark against me.

Thats why I am looking to get shot of them now. I have been loyal to them. I
tought it counted for something. Now I realise it doesnt.
I have no paperwork to tell me anything about how much they charge to
change cars, to cancel a ploicy or anything else. I dont even know what no
claims they give me. I have been with them for 20 odd years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

[...]

Sounds as if you got one of the script reading droids on a bad day.
You're better off elsewhere, as people have said. It's not as if DL are
particularly cheap, which would explain them saying they're not on the
comparison sites.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 19:01, John Williamson wrote:
Sounds as if you got one of the script reading droids on a bad day.
You're better off elsewhere, as people have said. It's not as if DL are
particularly cheap, which would explain them saying they're not on the
comparison sites.

The sites charge them a percentage. Others think it's worthwhile paying
them; they don't.

Sweetheart, come May look for another insurer. They shouldn't treat you
like that.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
wrote
On 13/03/2011 19:01, John Williamson wrote:
Sounds as if you got one of the script reading droids on a bad day.
You're better off elsewhere, as people have said. It's not as if DL are
particularly cheap, which would explain them saying they're not on the
comparison sites.

The sites charge them a percentage. Others think it's worthwhile paying
them; they don't.

But when I've been to them for a quote they are often 10 to 20% more
expensive than a whole raft of other companies (including those owned by
the same parent holding company)

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 18:44, sweetheart wrote:

[...]

Try moneysupermarket.com, gocompare and sheilaswheels for comparitive
quotes. You may also get a cheaper car insurance quote from DL if you
use their website. I pay about 20% less after I did that one year.

My wife's car is still with DL. I could not get a significantly cheaper
quote from any of those web sites last December.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Mar 13, 10:40 am, "sweetheart" wrote:
... the bloke at the call
centre ( direct line by the way) told me off for daring to buy a new car
without getting their permission first.
I was just shocked and quite upset at being told I wasn't allowed to buy a
new car without getting their approval first.

Getting a second car is a material fact that has to be notified to
your insurer.

But it isnt a second car. Its a replacement for a car I already had. I just
updated. I do every now and then ( like every three years). I save up for
this. Its my luxury. Besides I need to for work. My commute is 40 miles each
way and I need a reliable car and one that wont get pulled by a copper every
five minutes ( they do pull old cars for nothing!)

If the main driver (you) gets a new car that may mean that the second
driver can drive the existing car more. That may mean that more miles
are done by a higher risk driver.

I am the main driver of this car. The insurance is in my name. I dont have
my name on any other insurance.
My OH has a van in his name. I dont drive it. He is listed as my spouse to
drive the new car. He was listed to drive the last one ( and all previous
ones) so I didnt make any significant alteration other than update the car
for a new one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2011-03-13, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
I really can't understand this drive for new customers while p***ing
off existing good ones.

Obviously, enough existing customers remain to justify ****ing off a
few.

This certainly was the case when changing companies took a bit of
effort. But making it easy to get new customers via the web means it's
also easy to change.

Oh, I agree. Car insurance always justifies a few hours on the phone, but
apparently a lot of people don't bother.

I've found a few minutes on a comparative website works for me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Oh, I agree. Car insurance always justifies a few hours on the phone,
but apparently a lot of people don't bother.

I've found a few minutes on a comparative website works for me.

Depends on your requirements. If they're fairly vanilla, then yes. As
soon as you start to get away from those vanilla requirements, then
they're hopeless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 22:36:08 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

[...]

If you can find a good local insurance broken then these can be very
good. I never stay with one company for more than a year since they
/always/ hike their prices. IME brokers can haggle on your behalf and
be even cheaper than online quotes.

My wife's car is still with DL. I could not get a significantly cheaper
quote from any of those web sites last December.

I wouldn't touch DL with a bargepole. They have one of the "best"
claim avoidance departments I have experienced.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Oh, I agree. Car insurance always justifies a few hours on the phone,
but apparently a lot of people don't bother.

I've found a few minutes on a comparative website works for me.

Depends on your requirements. If they're fairly vanilla, then yes. As
soon as you start to get away from those vanilla requirements, then
they're hopeless.

100% correct. I have yet to find one of the web or telephone based insurers
that can even find my Land rover on their database let alone give me a
sensible quote. NFU on the other hand charged me £84 last renewal having
insured the vehicle for the last 14 years. Not all NFU offices are equal
though, I find the Cambridge office very obliging and reverted to them after
trying the local branch when we first moved North.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2011 06:09, sweetheart wrote:

My commute is 40
miles each way and I need a reliable car and one that wont get pulled by
a copper every five minutes ( they do pull old cars for nothing!)

I drive older cars, and haven't found that to be the case.

(sadly retired the 18yo, now on a 10yo)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Oh, I agree. Car insurance always justifies a few hours on the phone,
but apparently a lot of people don't bother.

I've found a few minutes on a comparative website works for me.

Depends on your requirements. If they're fairly vanilla, then yes. As
soon as you start to get away from those vanilla requirements, then
they're hopeless.

Is my SD1 vanilla? I'm not too worried about so called agreed value of the
classic policies - too many restrictions for my liking.

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

My commute is 40 miles each way and I need a reliable car and one that
wont get pulled by a copper every five minutes ( they do pull old cars
for nothing!)

I drive older cars, and haven't found that to be the case.

(sadly retired the 18yo, now on a 10yo)

Nor I - newest car in the fleet 21yo.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Depends on your requirements. If they're fairly vanilla, then yes. As
soon as you start to get away from those vanilla requirements, then
they're hopeless.

Is my SD1 vanilla? I'm not too worried about so called agreed value of
the classic policies - too many restrictions for my liking.

Good luck if ever you have to claim, then. You'll need it. You're
probably also paying a lot more than you could be.

FWIW, there's plenty of unlimited mileage, non-agreed value classic
policies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 7:27*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 13/03/2011 19:01, John Williamson wrote:

Sounds as if you got one of the script reading droids on a bad day.
You're better off elsewhere, as people have said. It's not as if DL are
particularly cheap, which would explain them saying they're not on the
comparison sites.

The sites charge them a percentage. Others think it's worthwhile paying
them; *they don't.

No, in DL's case it's because they are just too uncompetitive.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1028197 20110313 175945 Alan wrote:
In message , sweetheart
wrote

Yes, they are daft like me. But its really inertia. Its hard work,
especially when you go out to work as well, to keep swapping insurance.

In my experience, with a good no claims record, changing every year
saves me around �200/�300 on the renewal quotes (Car/House/Buildings).
Inertia can be the expensive option.

When I reached the age of 65, Direct Line (who I'd been with for 15+ years) more than
doubled my premium.
I moved to Saga and every renewal time they have matched the lowest quote I can
find on the web.
One year I paid £57!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 13:42 sweetheart wrote:

Its hard work,
especially when you go out to work as well, to keep swapping insurance.

But in a few minutes you can 'earn' more than £100.

Set up a TopCashBack account (it's free and using
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/digital will get you there and will
earn me a referral fee). Use the TopCashBack account to go to CoCompare
to get quotes. You'll get £1.75 cashback from TopCashBack for checking
through them.

Then, using a *different browser, or clearing cookies in the one you
just used* go to TopCashBack and find the insurance company you want to
use. Use the TopCashBack link to the insurance company to go and buy the
insurance.

Note: it may be worthwhile having a look at the TopCashBack commission
rates for the three or so cheapest/most appropriate companies as
cashback can vary. We got £58 cashback on each of our two car policies
last time.

It's also worthwhile getting a fresh online quote from the company
you're currently with. Our next renewal is £230. The same insurance
company has it at £156 for a fresh policy and TopCashBack will reduce
that by £50. I'll leave the car in the garage for a day to let the
existing policy lapse and then take out new online.

I realise the above may not suit everyone, but it will suit a lot...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-03-14, Fnews@nowhere wrote:

I'll leave the car in the garage for a day to let the
existing policy lapse and then take out new online.

And thereby commit an offence. Not that you may care. Or the DVLA/MID
notice...

Correct...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
Is my SD1 vanilla? I'm not too worried about so called agreed value of
the classic policies - too many restrictions for my liking.

Good luck if ever you have to claim, then. You'll need it. You're
probably also paying a lot more than you could be.

FWIW, there's plenty of unlimited mileage, non-agreed value classic
policies.

Thing is it depends on all sorts of variables. I used to have the SD1 on a
classic policy, but after checking with the various specialists, now have
it on an ordinary one.

--
*No hand signals. Driver on Viagra*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
On 14/03/2011 06:09, sweetheart wrote:

I drive older cars, and haven't found that to be the case.

(sadly retired the 18yo, now on a 10yo)

Maybe its where you live then? I was constantly pulled over for nothing.
They made excuses and one even admitted it was just random because my car
was old! After that ( three cars ago) I got a new car and they stopped doing
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , F
writes

On 2011-03-14, Fnews@nowhere wrote:

I'll leave the car in the garage for a day to let the
existing policy lapse and then take out new online.

And thereby commit an offence. Not that you may care. Or the DVLA/MID
notice...

Correct...

Have the 'new rules' actually come into force - or are they still
arguing about it? All
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nsurance/DG_18
6696
says is
"In early 2011, the vehicle insurance law will change."
--
Ian