Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TURBiO fast fluorescent starter

I'm trying to find a UK source for the TURBiO fast fluorescent starter:

http://www.mrmultitronik.de/html/eng...te/starter.php

With its 0.4 second preheat time it's the fastest electronic starter I
know of, but I've failed to find a UK distributor (or one that will
happily deliver to the UK).

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article op.vr83wny4n5ksl5@richard, says...
I'm trying to find a UK source for the TURBiO fast fluorescent starter:

http://www.mrmultitronik.de/html/eng...te/starter.php

With its 0.4 second preheat time it's the fastest electronic starter I
know of, but I've failed to find a UK distributor (or one that will
happily deliver to the UK).

Presumably you have to have tubes that are capable of coming up to the
right temperature in that time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 22:14:35 -0000, Skipweasel
wrote:

Presumably you have to have tubes that are capable of coming up to the
right temperature in that time?

The list of suitable lamp types is given on the page to which I linked
(e.g. 4-65W linear T5/T8/T12); there is no suggestion that they are
anything other than standard tubes. The only specific limitation
mentioned is that it is "only suitable for inductive circuits without
capacitors for serial compensation".

It's possible that the tube lifetime is slightly reduced compared with
using a slower electronic starter (which they also make), but hopefully it
will still be greater than with a conventional starter.

The manufacturer's site is he

http://www.palmstep.com/html/eng/starter/index.htm

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Presumably you have to have tubes that are capable of coming up to the
right temperature in that time?

The list of suitable lamp types is given on the page to which I linked *
(e.g. 4-65W linear T5/T8/T12); there is no suggestion that they are *
anything other than standard tubes. *The only specific limitation *
mentioned is that it is "only suitable for inductive circuits without *
capacitors for serial compensation".

It's possible that the tube lifetime is slightly reduced compared with *
using a slower electronic starter (which they also make), but hopefully it *
will still be greater than with a conventional starter.

The manufacturer's site is he

http://www.palmstep.com/html/eng/starter/index.htm

Richard.http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

You'll find that tubes very often wont strike after just 0.4 seconds
preheat, so you'll get flashing during start, like a non-electronic
starter.

If you want quick starting, you need an electronic ballast, which will
operate the tube in a more sophisticated manner than a lump of iron
ballast plus a plug-in starter.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message op.vr83wny4n5ksl5@richard, Richard Russell
wrote
I'm trying to find a UK source for the TURBiO fast fluorescent starter:

http://www.mrmultitronik.de/html/eng...te/starter.php

With its 0.4 second preheat time it's the fastest electronic starter I
know of, but I've failed to find a UK distributor (or one that will
happily deliver to the UK).

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

This article http://users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/light.html suggests (at
the bottom of the page) that a UK distributor for the same, or
equivalent, may be http://www.tabelek.co.uk/products.asp
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alan
wrote

This article http://users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/light.html suggests (at
the bottom of the page) that a UK distributor for the same, or
equivalent, may be http://www.tabelek.co.uk/products.asp

0.3seconds + (0.5 seconds)
http://www.tabelek.co.uk/product-300...luorescent-tub
e-starter.asp
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Russell" writes:
I'm trying to find a UK source for the TURBiO fast fluorescent starter:

http://www.mrmultitronik.de/html/eng...te/starter.php

With its 0.4 second preheat time it's the fastest electronic starter I
know of, but I've failed to find a UK distributor (or one that will
happily deliver to the UK).

Pulsestarter is a better known make here. EFS300 is 0.3s starting,
EFS600 is around 2 seconds starting.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

These starters don't require any preheat time to strike the tube - they
simply restrike every half mains cycle with a high voltage pulse until
the arc stablises, but other than the noise you get from the ballast
during this phase, you won't notice - it just looks like the tube is on.
The preheat time is purely to extend tube life. The repeating strike time
is usually limited to about a seccond, so it won't continue trying to
start a dead tube.

If you want quick starting, you need an electronic ballast, which will
operate the tube in a more sophisticated manner than a lump of iron
ballast plus a plug-in starter.

Instant start electronic ballasts seem to have become impossible to
find over last 5 years. I don't know why. Even buying same model number
ones I used to, they are no longer instant start.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 08:55:55 -0000, Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

These starters don't require any preheat time to strike the tube - they
simply restrike every half mains cycle with a high voltage pulse until
the arc stablises, but other than the noise you get from the ballast
during this phase, you won't notice - it just looks like the tube is on.

Thanks for that, and for the other helpful responses. I haven't managed
to track down the TURBiO but this seems very similar:

http://www.tabelek.co.uk/product-300...be-starter.asp

That quotes 0.3 seconds plus a further 0.6 seconds if the tube doesn't
strike immediately. It's also considerably cheaper than the TURBiO
(judging by what it costs in Germany).

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 8:55*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the first ones I had years ago - the resulting noise used
to scare people.

NT

fluorescent tube and starter question Stephen[_6_] UK diy 19 October 8th 09 12:24 PM
Fast start fluorescent tubes Andrew Duane Home Repair 5 March 28th 07 06:35 AM
Fluorescent tube starter Mark UK diy 11 November 29th 04 02:17 PM
FLUORESCENT LIGHT WITHOUT TRANFORMER AND STARTER ? mowhoong Electronics Repair 2 May 7th 04 10:13 PM
Fluorescent light tube starter Mark UK diy 6 November 14th 03 11:09 PM