Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange telephone call

PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 04:36:25 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:

On Feb 26, 12:05 pm, Skipweasel
wrote:
In article ,
says...

"She That Whom No Fairer Is"
Thomas Bateson
Bottle blonde?

easiest way is to check muff and cuffs....

Jim K

'tis rumoured that Marylin Munroe was a dyed-in-the-wool blonde.

I thought she was more dyed in the blonde, wool..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes

wrote:
In article ,
says...

"She That Whom No Fairer Is"
Thomas Bateson

Bottle blonde?

easiest way is to check muff and cuffs....

Jim K

'tis rumoured that Marylin Munroe was a dyed-in-the-wool blonde.

I thought she died in bed ... or not

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 46f06dcb-18cf-45d3-92ad-ca961dd59e16
@p11g2000vbq.googlegroups.com, says...
If it works the way I think it does, then there's a potential problem -
quite a few organisations you might want to hear from withold their
number. The local police usually do, as do most hospitals, for example.

Then you can give them a bypass code which if they key it in right
gets them past the message and makes the phones ring.
http://www.truecall.co.uk/acatalog/A...de_Access.html

And what are the chances that the hospital ringing you to tell you
they've got your loved one on the slab will do that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 20:30:38 -0000, Skipweasel
wrote:

In article 46f06dcb-18cf-45d3-92ad-ca961dd59e16
, says...
If it works the way I think it does, then there's a potential problem -
quite a few organisations you might want to hear from withold their
number. The local police usually do, as do most hospitals, for example.

Then you can give them a bypass code which if they key it in right
gets them past the message and makes the phones ring.
http://www.truecall.co.uk/acatalog/A...de_Access.html

And what are the chances that the hospital ringing you to tell you
they've got your loved one on the slab will do that?

In my experience, the only people who ring up saying they have got
your loved one on the slab in hospital then go on to say that they
need $10,000 to pay for life-saving treatment and a 'courier' will
collect it from you immediately. But then my experience has only been
in Latin America so YMMV. In Britain they send a policeman to your
door, don't they?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
-septemb
er.org, Tim writes
Simpler still if you don't ever receive legitimate overseas call, a
Truecall unit. Second best invention after the TiVo.

Several years ago I had a phone call from a mate of mine which had a
caller id of "overseas call" (or words to that effect). Knowing that he
did quite a bit of travelling for work, I asked him where he was.
"Home" came the reply (home being Cheshire). It seems he had a deal
with his phone company, so I don't think you could rely on not getting
legitimate overseas calls.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Skipweasel
wrote
In article ,
says...
In Britain they send a policeman to your door, don't they?

Dunno - but there are occasions where you might welcome a phonecall from
the dibbles or the hospital - both of which frequently withold their
number.

Their problem not mine. Any withheld number is a cold call spammer and
if the NHS is withholding their number and cannot get through then just
take legal action and get millions in compensation.
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 00:15:53 +0000 (UTC), Tim wrote:

Our local hospital used to but has stopped witholding. Too many people
have anonymous caller rejection for them to reliably contact patients.
All these organisation can temporaily stop withholding their number if
they need to get yoou.

Or better still set up their systems to only present the switch board
number or if the call is coming from a department or ward the DDI to
the reception for that department/ward irrespective of the instrument
used to make the call.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 00:15:53 +0000 (UTC), Tim wrote:

Our local hospital used to but has stopped witholding. Too many
people have anonymous caller rejection for them to reliably contact
patients. All these organisation can temporaily stop withholding
their number if they need to get yoou.

Or better still set up their systems to only present the switch board
number or if the call is coming from a department or ward the DDI to
the reception for that department/ward irrespective of the instrument
used to make the call.

That's what happens with our local hospital. All outgoing calls from any
exension appear with the same 0800 number.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
We have only Macs here. Perhaps I should let the guy run on and try to
download some software. He'll probably claim he succeeded in running it

I managed to waste 3 hours of their time by them trying to connect to my
Linux machine. Strangely it never did work. But then my imaginary credit
card number didn't work either. Funny that.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 20:48:39 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

I'm surprised they gave up so easily if they were genuine claims management people.
She would be about as bothered about how genuine your injury was as a defence
barrister is about the actual guilt or innocence of his client.

It's not that straightforward. If a client openly discloses to their
barrister or other legal professional that they actually committed an
offence but they still want to plead not guilty then the legal bod is
no longer permitted to represent that client.

But you are probably right, all lawyers are scum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 14:37:04 -0000, John Weston
wrote:

In article , ""Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere" wrote:

I have better things to do with my time. I simply say I don't take cold
calls and put the phone down.

Colin Bignell

Agreed, but then they often ring back.

I prefer to put on an "official" voice and quickly say "Password please"
and/or "You shouldn't be calling here and a note has been made of your
location. Don't do it again! Goodbye"

Works for me and I'm seldom recalled. Makes me I feel better too :-)

My variation is along the lines of

"Armed Response Unit, what is the deployment location?"