Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange telephone call

A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working on behalf
of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting that our computers
are infected with a virus that is bombarding them the internet with spam. He
tried to convince me that our IP address had been identified by the
International Routing System and this had alerted Microsoft to call in his
services. I led him on a bit this afternoon and he asked me to run EVENT VWR
on my PC.
Sadly at that point the other phone rang and it was a call I was waiting for
so had to take it.
Anyone know where this was leading? I know its a crock of ****, for one
thing we don't have a static IP address that could be traced back to my
phone number.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 6:55 pm, "MuddyMike" wrote:
A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working on behalf
of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting that our computers
are infected with a virus that is bombarding them the internet with spam. He
tried to convince me that our IP address had been identified by the
International Routing System and this had alerted Microsoft to call in his
services. I led him on a bit this afternoon and he asked me to run EVENT VWR
on my PC.
Sadly at that point the other phone rang and it was a call I was waiting for
so had to take it.
Anyone know where this was leading? I know its a crock of ****, for one
thing we don't have a static IP address that could be traced back to my
phone number.

Mike

time you did some googling methinks

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/suppor...temrecure-scam

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"MuddyMike" writes:
A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working on behalf
of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting that our computers
are infected with a virus that is bombarding them the internet with spam. He
tried to convince me that our IP address had been identified by the
International Routing System and this had alerted Microsoft to call in his
services. I led him on a bit this afternoon and he asked me to run EVENT VWR
on my PC.

Oh, I'd love to get one of those.

All I seem to get at the moment are
"Sir, we've been told that you or a member of your family were
involved in an accident recently"...
which isn't true, so I just tell them they've been ripped off by
the person who sold them the data (and this sector is now a large
business, so it's not surprising people started selling fake data).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"MuddyMike" writes:
A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working
on behalf of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting
that our computers are infected with a virus that is bombarding them
the internet with spam. He tried to convince me that our IP address
had been identified by the International Routing System and this had
alerted Microsoft to call in his services. I led him on a bit this
afternoon and he asked me to run EVENT VWR on my PC.

Oh, I'd love to get one of those.

All I seem to get at the moment are
"Sir, we've been told that you or a member of your family were
involved in an accident recently"...
which isn't true, so I just tell them they've been ripped off by
the person who sold them the data (and this sector is now a large
business, so it's not surprising people started selling fake data).

How odd. I was a witness to a car accident last week. I have had 3
calls/texts already about my claim! I managed to keep one woman on the phone
for 15 minutes before she realised I was making my injuries up and was not
involved in an accident.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes

How odd. I was a witness to a car accident last week. I have had 3
calls/texts already about my claim! I managed to keep one woman on the phone
for 15 minutes before she realised I was making my injuries up and was not
involved in an accident.

Next time break off when you get to 10mins to tell them how sorry you
are that their career in prostitution didn't work out as you're sure
they wouldn't have to work in such a low down, ****ty job if it had
worked out for them. Were they too stick faced to make a go of it?
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message ...
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"MuddyMike" writes:
[...]

I'm surprised they gave up so easily if they were genuine claims management people.
She would be about as bothered about how genuine your injury was as a defence
barrister is about the actual guilt or innocence of his client.

Witnessing an accident can be the cause of much mental anguish and trauma ;-) ;-) ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
writes

How odd. I was a witness to a car accident last week. I have had 3
calls/texts already about my claim! I managed to keep one woman on
the phone for 15 minutes before she realised I was making my
injuries up and was not involved in an accident.

Next time break off when you get to 10mins to tell them how sorry you
are that their career in prostitution didn't work out as you're sure
they wouldn't have to work in such a low down, ****ty job if it had
worked out for them. Were they too stick faced to make a go of it?

Considering it took her 10 minutes to realise that "I poked myself in my eye
with my bellend" in the accident was a wind up, I assume that she was
stupid. Her timing was perfect, I was in the wholesalers and put the call on
hands free to amuse the staff when I realised it was a ripoff/ambulance
chaser type of call.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If not, I suspect this selling of data (whether you're a witness or
directly involved) is illegal. You have no business relationship with
them and the Data Protection Registrar really ought to look into this.

That does not help much if (as is often the case) the call is coming
from India from an Indian firm working on the commission they get for
providing "leads". All such firms overseas know as well as your local
yobs that "you can't touch me".

The government tells us the £250m or so a year the UK provides in the
form of overseas aid to India improves our national security. But sadly
it does not seem to buy us any security from (in the past week alone
here) telephone offering release from my debts, savings on gas and
electricity, cheaper insurance and entry in a free draw if I'll just
answer a few questions about my savings.

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

See my reply to fred. I did take the **** out of her.

Witnessing an accident can be the cause of much mental anguish and
trauma ;-) ;-) ;-)

Not witnessing one is bad enough. I remember the MiL getting run over by a
snowplough and I missed it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"MuddyMike" writes:
[...]

Ah, was that the accident where your head became detached from your body?

As my wife said when asked if she could remember exactly when the
accident occurred 'No, I've lost my head and cant remember anything'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 18:55, MuddyMike wrote:
A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working on behalf
of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting that our computers
are infected with a virus that is bombarding them the internet with spam. He
tried to convince me that our IP address had been identified by the
International Routing System and this had alerted Microsoft to call in his
services. I led him on a bit this afternoon and he asked me to run EVENT VWR
on my PC.
Sadly at that point the other phone rang and it was a call I was waiting for
so had to take it.
Anyone know where this was leading? I know its a crock of ****, for one
thing we don't have a static IP address that could be traced back to my
phone number.

Mike

Listen to past episodes of The Bob Servant Emails on BBC radio 4. Object
lessons in how wind up and waste the time of spammers. If we all did it
they'd get a real job (or go into politics I guess)

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Common story - usually leads you to letting them have remote control to
"fix" your computer and then them billing your CC either for the remote
fixing of various "problems" or flogging you some worthless (or worse)
software to do the same.

You left out 'and adding you to their botnets
and having stripped all your passwords as well'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Graham. wrote:

I'm surprised they gave up so easily if they were genuine claims
management people. She would be about as bothered about how genuine your
injury was as a
defence barrister is about the actual guilt or innocence of his client.

See my reply to fred. I did take the **** out of her.

Witnessing an accident can be the cause of much mental anguish and
trauma ;-) ;-) ;-)

Not witnessing one is bad enough. I remember the MiL getting run over by a
snowplough and I missed it.

Did it stop her talking for more than 10 seconds?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes
fred wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
writes

How odd. I was a witness to a car accident last week. I have had 3
calls/texts already about my claim! I managed to keep one woman on
the phone for 15 minutes before she realised I was making my
injuries up and was not involved in an accident.

Next time break off when you get to 10mins to tell them how sorry you
are that their career in prostitution didn't work out as you're sure
they wouldn't have to work in such a low down, ****ty job if it had
worked out for them. Were they too stick faced to make a go of it?

Considering it took her 10 minutes to realise that "I poked myself in my eye
with my bellend" in the accident was a wind up, I assume that she was
stupid. Her timing was perfect, I was in the wholesalers and put the call on
hands free to amuse the staff when I realised it was a ripoff/ambulance
chaser type of call.

LOL, I should have known I could rely on you to make the best possible
mileage from it.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I advise them that my company (dont have one) records all calls for training
purposes!
the phone usually goes down sharpish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike wrote:
A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working on
behalf of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting that
our computers are infected with a virus that is bombarding them the
internet with spam. He tried to convince me that our IP address had
been identified by the International Routing System and this had
alerted Microsoft to call in his services. I led him on a bit this
afternoon and he asked me to run EVENT VWR on my PC.
Sadly at that point the other phone rang and it was a call I was
waiting for so had to take it.
Anyone know where this was leading? I know its a crock of ****, for
one thing we don't have a static IP address that could be traced back
to my phone number.

Mike

Mike.

I had one tell me to look in the Prefetch folder and I would find hundreds
of 'infected' files there that would need 'cleaning out' - he put the phone
done when I told him that I had disabled [1] this feature in the registry
of Windows XP SP3 and that he was trying on a f****g [2] scam to get me to
let him have remote control access [3] to my computer so that he could
download some rather useless program to clear out legitimate files for a
fee - and using my debit card to pay.

[1] Yes I have done this, and no, I don't find that the computer
noticeably takes longer to load files or causes other problems.

[2] I was in a bad mood that evening as this was the third such call in
four days - they haven't rung since.

[3] This feature is also disabled on my computer and two others in the
house.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 21:00, Robin wrote:
If not, I suspect this selling of data (whether you're a witness or
directly involved) is illegal. You have no business relationship with
them and the Data Protection Registrar really ought to look into this.

That does not help much if (as is often the case) the call is coming
from India from an Indian firm working on the commission they get for
providing "leads". All such firms overseas know as well as your local
yobs that "you can't touch me".

The government tells us the £250m or so a year the UK provides in the
form of overseas aid to India improves our national security. But sadly
it does not seem to buy us any security from (in the past week alone
here) telephone offering release from my debts, savings on gas and
electricity, cheaper insurance and entry in a free draw if I'll just
answer a few questions about my savings.

I get frequent calls from an Asian man asking where I buy my gas. I
reply by asking him where he buys his - which seems to confuse him. I
say I'll tell him when he tells me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Scott
wrote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 21:59, Peter Scott wrote:
[...]

I have better things to do with my time. I simply say I don't take cold
calls and put the phone down.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
MuddyMike wrote:
A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working on
behalf
of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting that our
computers
are infected with a virus that is bombarding them the internet with spam.
He
tried to convince me that our IP address had been identified by the

WTF is STWNFI

"She That Whom No Fairer Is"
Thomas Bateson

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
"She That Whom No Fairer Is"
Thomas Bateson

Bottle blonde?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 12:05 pm, Skipweasel
wrote:
In article ,
says...

"She That Whom No Fairer Is"
Thomas Bateson

Bottle blonde?

easiest way is to check muff and cuffs....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ""Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere" wrote:

I have better things to do with my time. I simply say I don't take cold
calls and put the phone down.

Colin Bignell

Agreed, but then they often ring back.

I prefer to put on an "official" voice and quickly say "Password please"
and/or "You shouldn't be calling here and a note has been made of your
location. Don't do it again! Goodbye"

Works for me and I'm seldom recalled. Makes me I feel better too :-)
--
John W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 19:29:29 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Oh, I'd love to get one of those.

I had one a few weeks ago, from a woman. I replied that it was a scam
and put the phone down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working on
behalf of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting that our
computers are infected with a virus that is bombarding them the internet
with spam. He tried to convince me that our IP address had been identified
by the International Routing System and this had alerted Microsoft to call
in his services. I led him on a bit this afternoon and he asked me to run
EVENT VWR on my PC.
Sadly at that point the other phone rang and it was a call I was waiting
for so had to take it.
Anyone know where this was leading?

your wallet......

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2011 11:27, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
[...]

Oh dear. It's a comedy programme.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message

WTF is STWNFI

"She That Whom No Fairer Is" Thomas Bateson

After a bit of a search I think that might be (for the sake of
accuracy) "...(that) she than whom no fairer is".

Needless to say, my guesses were wide of the mark, so thanks for that.

TF
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Joining the telephone preference service cured it for me, now I get
annoyed by American based calls.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Weston wrote:
In article , ""Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere" wrote:

I have better things to do with my time. I simply say I don't take cold
calls and put the phone down.

Colin Bignell

Agreed, but then they often ring back.

I prefer to put on an "official" voice and quickly say "Password please"
and/or "You shouldn't be calling here and a note has been made of your
location. Don't do it again! Goodbye"

Works for me and I'm seldom recalled. Makes me I feel better too :-)

Simpler still if you don't ever receive legitimate overseas call, a
Truecall unit. Second best invention after the TiVo.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
wrote

Joining the telephone preference service cured it for me, now I get
annoyed by American based calls.

It will work for most UK calls but most of the S**T I'm now getting is
international. I just let the answerphone pick up the call and 99% of
the cold callers ring off during the outgoing message.

There area few (Paris Disneyland) who will leave attempt to leave an
automated message, but will start during the outgoing message.

Barleycard credit card fraud department have a sophisticated auto phone
service. On detecting an answerphone it waits until the outgoing message
has finished and then gives a sensible message to contact them.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 04:36:25 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:

On Feb 26, 12:05 pm, Skipweasel
wrote:
In article ,
says...

"She That Whom No Fairer Is"
Thomas Bateson

Bottle blonde?

easiest way is to check muff and cuffs....

Jim K

'tis rumoured that Marylin Munroe was a dyed-in-the-wool blonde.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away