Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default C4 Racing from Newbury - 2 horses *electrocuted*

On Feb 12, 2:18*pm, AC wrote:
Sofa - Spud wrote:
Bit weird - racing came on after Big Bang and they said some sad news
two horses *electrocuted* as the were in a paddock. Just walking and
down they went.

I know horse racing is crooked as hell but FFS

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/9395743.stm

Just heard about this on BBC R5. There was a suggestion that under
ground power cables might have been the cause. But they said that there
was some distress, it got worse and then the 2 horses dropped.
Surrounding horses were also similarly distressed. Surely electrocution
would have been instant, not relativity gradual. Or, is that how it
happens for horses?

What I dont get is that in the article you posted, every one seems quite
content with the electrocution idea, but none seem to say how.

And the, if it is underground cables, then how come its never happened
before, well, to my limited knowledge. Not just to horses, but humans
too. Or does it happen often but we are protected by our shoes and never
notice? No humans a Newbury were affected, only some one who felt a
tingle on a horse.

Horses and other four-legged animals are a lot more sensitive to
electric currents in the ground, as there can be a considerable
voltage drop between front and hind legs. It seems like an earth fault
to some metalwork in the ground, dodgy earthing is a common problem on
sites that have a lot of small structures, there are a lot of
'gotchas' when laying on supplies to outlying buildings.

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 12, 5:11*pm, "
wrote:
On Feb 12, 2:18*pm, AC wrote:

Sofa - Spud wrote:
[...]

'gotchas' when laying on supplies to outlying buildings.- Hide quoted text -

A funny one this. It's unusual to get this sort of thing from an
underground fault unless the cable is buried very shallowly. It's
more usual to get it from a faulty (high resistance) earth rod & then
there would need to be an earth fault as well. Addtionally to this
there would need to be faulty/obsolete protective switchgear. Really
old/and knackered. That's a lot of coincidences.
Three things it would need all at once. All would be detected on a
routine check. So that's four things. Assuming the checks were
carried out.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
A funny one this. It's unusual to get this sort of thing from an
underground fault unless the cable is buried very shallowly. It's
more usual to get it from a faulty (high resistance) earth rod & then
there would need to be an earth fault as well. Addtionally to this
there would need to be faulty/obsolete protective switchgear. Really
old/and knackered. That's a lot of coincidences.
Three things it would need all at once. All would be detected on a
routine check. So that's four things. Assuming the checks were
carried out.

The picture show the casualties in the parade ring, and looking at the
site on google maps, it's on a possible route for the main site feed, in
which case a fault wouldn't necessarily show up with the normal on-site
tests. The power company should be aware of a problem on that feeder,
but it wouldn't be that easy to track down, and the substation would be
supplying a large number of consumers. I don't know what voltage the
feed comes in at, but 3.3 Kv isn't impossible, though normal 415V three
phase is more likely. I suspect that either could give enough of voltage
gradient on wet ground to let people in wet shoes feel a tingle and kill
a horse, especially one wearing conductive shoes. The gradual onset of
symptoms could be explained by the horses walking towards the defective
cable.

It's the first meeting since New Year, so cable damage caused by ground
heave due to recent frosts can't be ruled out. Nor can someone
accidentally damaging the cable by moving the ground during nearby
digging operations.

Someone's going to be digging a fair size hole there in the near future,
I reckon. The cable may need replacing at least as far back as the
nearby road, depending on its age and condition.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

Three things it would need all at once. All would be detected on a
routine check. So that's four things.

You are Cardinal Fang AICMFP.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
" writes:
On Feb 12, 2:18*pm, AC wrote:
Sofa - Spud wrote:
[...]

Actually, most animals are electrocuted at smaller currents
than humans, and even small ground voltages can be disastrous
for large quadrupeds, and they have no option to "let go" of
the live ground.

This is why (on uk.d-i-y) I always warn of the need to use
electricians familiar with these extra risks when working on
installations near livestock, when I see a poster talking
about such a situation.

Very sad for all concerned.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2011 19:46, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
@g mail.com writes:
On Feb 12, 2:18 pm, wrote:
Sofa - Spud wrote:
[...]

That horses were more susceptible to electrocution than humans and
needed only a very small shock to kill them came as news to me till it
was pointed out to me by my horse riding daughter. Terrible really!
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

That horses were more susceptible to electrocution than humans and
needed only a very small shock to kill them came as news to me till it
was pointed out to me by my horse riding daughter. Terrible really!

Thats why its not unusual to find a lot of cows etc dead after nearby
lightning strikes where what's know as the step gradient potential can
be very high indeed...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

@g mail.com writes:
On Feb 12, 2:18 pm, wrote:
Sofa - Spud wrote:
[...]

Could you expand on why horses are more susceptible than humans please
Andrew?

I don't doubt you, but one would think a huge great horse would be more
resistant?

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
writes

Could you expand on why horses are more susceptible than humans please
Andrew?

They're big animals, so more of a potential difference (a larger
voltage, in other words) appears between the front and hind legs. The
current then travels through the body via the heart. Result: dogmeat.

A human standing on the same ground only has the p.d. developed between
their feet. And humans don't as a rule wear shoes with metal soles.

I don't doubt you, but one would think a huge great horse would be more
resistant?

"it's the volts that jolts, but the mills that kills"

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 2/13/2011 4:05 AM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In , The Medway Handyman
writes

Could you expand on why horses are more susceptible than humans please
Andrew?

They're big animals, so more of a potential difference (a larger
voltage, in other words) appears between the front and hind legs. The
current then travels through the body via the heart. Result: dogmeat.

A human standing on the same ground only has the p.d. developed between
their feet. And humans don't as a rule wear shoes with metal soles.

I don't doubt you, but one would think a huge great horse would be more
resistant?

"it's the volts that jolts, but the mills that kills"

I would have thought that any 3ph 440V and upward cable underground
should be armoured and the armour sheathing earthed. Any leakage should
have tripped a breaker somewhere unless someone has been fiddling/
botching to get the race going. I wonder if we get any info on what
caused it ? (Cynic Mode switched on)
Don
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

* ...@ gmail.com *writes:
On Feb 12, 2:18 pm, *wrote:
Sofa - Spud wrote:
[...]

Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Basically they have a longer wheelbase (on the voltage gradient
appearing on the ground), metal shoes ,as they are so heavy, make a
really good contact with the ground.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 13, 7:08*am, Donwill wrote:
[...]

Don- Hide quoted text -

Exactly so, which is what makes it all so surprising. Almost unheard
of.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill writes:
On 2/13/2011 4:05 AM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In , The Medway Handyman
writes

Could you expand on why horses are more susceptible than humans please
Andrew?

They're big animals, so more of a potential difference (a larger
voltage, in other words) appears between the front and hind legs. The
current then travels through the body via the heart. Result: dogmeat.

A human standing on the same ground only has the p.d. developed between
their feet. And humans don't as a rule wear shoes with metal soles.

I don't doubt you, but one would think a huge great horse would be more
resistant?

"it's the volts that jolts, but the mills that kills"

Nearly all animals need far fewer "mills that kills" (current)
through them to electrcute them than humans do. I don't know if
it is known why humans are more resistant to electrocution than
most other species, but I don't think the 6 or so generations
since the widespread use of electricity is long enough for
darwinism to be a factor, unless there had been an electrocution
pandemic, whereas it's actually very rare.

Most humans will have experienced an electric shock, know what
it is, and know what to do to stop it. None of that is true of
most animals, and as I said before, when an animal is being
electrocuted by the ground, it can't "let go".

When you have current leaking through the ground, it causes a
voltage difference across the ground. Let's say we're standing
on a piece of ground which has a voltage difference of 10V/foot.
Your feet are probably about a foot apart, and even with bare feet,
you wouldn't even feel 10V. Even if you did, the current path (up
one leg and down the other) isn't going to kill you. A horses feet
might be 6' apart, so it's going to have 60V across it. Futhermore,
that will be across the chest (heart, lungs) and much more
debilitating. Metal shoes will make better ground contact, pressing
right into the damp soil, although it's a very serious problem for
unshoed livestock too.

I would have thought that any 3ph 440V and upward cable underground
should be armoured and the armour sheathing earthed. Any leakage should
have tripped a breaker somewhere unless someone has been fiddling/
botching to get the race going. I wonder if we get any info on what
caused it ? (Cynic Mode switched on)

Mains supply cables don't have earth leakage detection. (Some higher
voltage supply cables do.) I don't know if all old cables had a
full metalic sheath. SWA (Steel wire armoured) cables are liable
to the steel rusting away if the outer sheath gets damaged, and
we've heard the race course suggest any cable must be 40 years old
(although that's not old for an underground cable).

Modern high voltage cables are normally singles and can't use steel
armour (unbalanced magnetic field from a single cable), so the
protection is copper, but it's rather more there to guarantee a
short to earth if the cable is damaged, than it is for mechanical
protection. Mechanical protection is provided by very tough plastic
coverings.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , The Medway Handyman
writes

Could you expand on why horses are more susceptible than humans please
Andrew?

They're big animals, so more of a potential difference (a larger
voltage, in other words) appears between the front and hind legs. The
current then travels through the body via the heart. Result: dogmeat.

A human standing on the same ground only has the p.d. developed between
their feet. And humans don't as a rule wear shoes with metal soles.

A quote from the DailyMail....

Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse had 'great
potential'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1DpdtmvHz

--
Adam

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 13 Feb,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Could you expand on why horses are more susceptible than humans please
Andrew?

Bigger wheel^Wlegbase.

I don't doubt you, but one would think a huge great horse would be more
resistant?

More volts developed across them from the ground. See above.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:06:35 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

A quote from the DailyMail....

Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse had 'great
potential'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1DpdtmvHz

I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current affairs
section?
--
Angus Rodgers
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 01:07:21 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

Exactly so, which is what makes it all so surprising. Almost unheard
of.

There are a surprising number of Google hits for horses
electrocuted.
--
Angus Rodgers

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 13, 11:40*am, wrote:
On 13 Feb, *
* * (greenaum) wrote:

Bloke on news said the cable'd been untouched for at least 30 years. I
suppose maybe the insulation could've worn down. It's interesting to
see posts from people who know about this sort of thing, something you
never get on the news.

Probably aluminium cable from the 70s. Corroded badly by now.

--
* B Thumbs
* Change lycos to yahoo to reply

No reason to be. The armouring would be double steel tapes or double
steel wire. The corrosion bit was on the joints when it occured.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fall-dead-Ne....

I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current affairs
section?

Shocking!

Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
greenaum wrote:
That horses were more susceptible to electrocution than humans and
needed only a very small shock to kill them came as news to me till it
was pointed out to me by my horse riding daughter. Terrible really!

You wouldn't think it, horses must have massive hearts, so would
presumably need more current to shock them.

Paradoxically, it's actually *easier* to induce fibrillation in
larger hearts (though there are a number of other relevant factors,
such as the amount of fibrosis - which tends to increase with age).

Still, they do go round
with metal shoes nailed to their feet. Pretty much all human shoes are
gonna be plastic or rubber soled.

That certainly places horses at a disadvantage. The other crucial
point is that a larger proportion of the current flowing through
horse's limbs will pass through the heart. If we get receive an
electric shock through our legs, most of the current will flow
through nether regions and not the heart. It's a different story
for a shock via the arms of course. We don't normally touch the
ground with our forelimbs, whereas horses do!

Francis

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A quote from the DailyMail....

Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse had 'great
potential'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fall-dead-Ne...

I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current affairs
section?

Shocking!

Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!

Is Newbury a short circuit?
--
Angus Rodgers
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A quote from the DailyMail....

Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse had 'great
potential'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fall-dead-Ne...

I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current affairs
section?

Shocking!

Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!

Is Newbury a short circuit?

Now, we need to get our feet/hooves on the ground...
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A quote from the DailyMail....

Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse had 'great
potential'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fall-dead-Ne...

I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current affairs
section?

Shocking!

Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!

Is Newbury a short circuit?

Now, we need to get our feet/hooves on the ground...

First, make sure you're not in an electric field
(by checking to see if it has an electric fence).
--
Angus Rodgers
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article , Donwill Donwill.seesig@in
valid.invalid writes

I would have thought that any 3ph 440V and upward cable underground
should be armoured and the armour sheathing earthed. Any leakage should
have tripped a breaker somewhere unless someone has been fiddling/
botching to get the race going.

Speculating, I wondered if it was a decommissioned cable from a building
that had been demolished, and someone forgot to disconnect the other
end. Normally it would lie in the ground minding its own business, but
with all the rain we've had recently, it made the ground conductive
enough to become live?

I wonder if we get any info on what
caused it ?

Hope we find out. Interesting lesson if nothing else.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes

Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse had 'great
potential'.

*groan*

Bet the vast majority of Wail readers wouldn't have got it.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A quote from the DailyMail....

Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse
had 'great potential'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fall-dead-Ne...

I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current affairs
section?

Shocking!

Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!

Apparently they died on the Ohm run.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:48:58 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Speculating, I wondered if it was a decommissioned cable from a building
that had been demolished, and someone forgot to disconnect the other
end.

A "dormant" cable has been mentioned in several articals I've read
(on the 'net so muct be true...). Someone has already mentioned that
this was the first meeting since the new year and that heave due to
the frosts may have damaged an old cable...

Hope we find out. Interesting lesson if nothing else.

As with most things the media will have got bored with the story by
the time anything definite is discovered/worked out and the coverage
will be minimal.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote:
Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!

Yes! Before you are all grounded.
Truebrit.

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

wrote:
A quote from the DailyMail....
Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse
had 'great potential'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fall-dead-Ne...
I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current affairs
section?
Shocking!

Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!

Apparently they died on the Ohm run.

I've been resisting the temptation to join in.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

wrote:
A quote from the DailyMail....
Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse
had 'great potential'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fall-dead-Ne...
I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current
affairs section?
Shocking!
Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!

Apparently they died on the Ohm run.

I've been resisting the temptation to join in.

It's best not to say anything that hertz anyones feelings.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

in message ...
John Williamson wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

wrote:
A quote from the DailyMail....
Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse
had 'great potential'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fall-dead-Ne...
I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current
affairs section?
Shocking!
Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!

Apparently they died on the Ohm run.

I've been resisting the temptation to join in.

"ARWadsworth" wrote It's best not to say
anything that hertz anyones feelings.

Yep. Best thing to do is just all go ohm.
Truebrit.

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 13, 10:50*am, harry wrote:
On Feb 13, 11:40*am, wrote:

On 13 Feb, *
* * (greenaum) wrote:

Bloke on news said the cable'd been untouched for at least 30 years. I
suppose maybe the insulation could've worn down. It's interesting to
see posts from people who know about this sort of thing, something you
never get on the news.

Probably aluminium cable from the 70s. Corroded badly by now.

--
* B Thumbs
* Change lycos to yahoo to reply

No reason to be. The armouring would be double steel tapes or double
steel wire. *The corrosion bit was on the joints when it occured.

Electric cable theory;

The trouble with all this is that they spike paddocks to airate them
before a race meeting; they could sever an unknown cable by doing
that. Due to the very wet nature of the ground, if the cable came into
contact with another cable, even if the first was not live the contact
would be able to make it so, and that way the cables would both be
live, hence capable of killing the horse even from an unused cable.

Equines and electric;

As for the earlier comment on why it took so long for the horses to
die if it was electricity - electricity can stop the heart and can
interfere with the nervous system, but it is not always an immediate
effect of death. Potential difference across the heart can cause it
the fibrilate (flutter) or stop altogether, so the first doesn't kill
the animal for a very long time, if at all eg Kid Cassidy could have
been affected in this way. The second (heart stopping) is a slower way
of dying than you'd think - it's possible to have a human's heart stop
for several seconds at a time, many times a day as they age (in
certain heart conditions) and for the person not to die. Horses are on
a larger scale but I expect it works in the same way. So electrocution
is very much possible.

(Also)

My concern is that they really need to review the CCTV because you're
right - the cable would be a really odd thing to happen, really very
rare. My fear is that someone may have been using a taser or something
similar to strike the horses. A live cable would have affected the
grooms more (most only reported getting shocks off the horses, not the
grass), and the other horses when they walked over that part of the
paddock.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 20:05:34 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

John Williamson wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

wrote:
A quote from the DailyMail....
Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse
had 'great potential'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fall-dead-Ne...
I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current
affairs section?
Shocking!
Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!

Apparently they died on the Ohm run.

I've been resisting the temptation to join in.

It's best not to say anything that hertz anyones feelings.

I know watt you mean.
--
Angus Rodgers

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
A quote from the DailyMail....
Marching Song's part-owner Graham Thorner said the fallen horse
had 'great potential'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fall-dead-Ne...
I don't like to joke about it, but: was this in the current affairs
section?
Shocking!
Now let's get more down to earth on this matter!

Apparently they died on the Ohm run.

I've been resisting the temptation to join in.

Currently.

Not electrocuted Higgs Boson[_2_] Home Repair 10 January 12th 10 04:32 PM
Electrocuted from neutral [email protected] Home Repair 23 January 3rd 09 10:50 PM
Handyman in the Newbury/Thatcham area? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 26 January 17th 08 12:28 AM
electrocuted mm Home Repair 34 May 8th 06 11:34 PM
Texas Pastor Electrocuted During Baptism Paul Hovnanian P.E. Home Repair 0 November 7th 05 02:45 AM