Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Donwill[_3_] Donwill[_3_] is offline

Default C4 Racing from Newbury - 2 horses *electrocuted*

On 2/13/2011 4:05 AM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In , The Medway Handyman
writes

Could you expand on why horses are more susceptible than humans please
Andrew?

They're big animals, so more of a potential difference (a larger
voltage, in other words) appears between the front and hind legs. The
current then travels through the body via the heart. Result: dogmeat.

A human standing on the same ground only has the p.d. developed between
their feet. And humans don't as a rule wear shoes with metal soles.

I don't doubt you, but one would think a huge great horse would be more
resistant?

"it's the volts that jolts, but the mills that kills"

I would have thought that any 3ph 440V and upward cable underground
should be armoured and the armour sheathing earthed. Any leakage should
have tripped a breaker somewhere unless someone has been fiddling/
botching to get the race going. I wonder if we get any info on what
caused it ? (Cynic Mode switched on)
Don