Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best exterior gloss

I'm hoping to give my exterior woodwork a bit of a spruce up next week, any
recommendations on what the best exterior gloss is or are they all pretty
much the same.

Thanks

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 9:18 am, "JimM" wrote:
I'm hoping to give my exterior woodwork a bit of a spruce up next week, any
recommendations on what the best exterior gloss is or are they all pretty
much the same.

I've tried conventional paints for 30 years with poor results.
Probably you can't get it in the UK, but I'm now using Wattyl
Solagard, which is Acrylic. No primer needed on timber, cement render,
brick, fibre cement, masonry, and galvanised iron sheet
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JimM
writes
I'm hoping to give my exterior woodwork a bit of a spruce up next week,
any recommendations on what the best exterior gloss is or are they all
pretty much the same.

Magnolia

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2011 20:18, JimM wrote:
I'm hoping to give my exterior woodwork a bit of a spruce up next week,
any recommendations on what the best exterior gloss is or are they all
pretty much the same.

Thanks

Jim

In the case of white, pretty much all the same. A "liquid gloss" oil
based is hard wearing and easy to apply, but discolours over time. An
acrylic water based gloss doesn't flow well, looks "tacky", but stays
white.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:18:29 -0000, JimM wrote:

I'm hoping to give my exterior woodwork a bit of a spruce up next week,
any recommendations on what the best exterior gloss is or are they all
pretty much the same.

If you can get the surface preparation done well the Dulux
WeatherShield system (preservative/primer, two undercoats, top coat)
has faired pretty well on a south facing window frame for the last
five+ years (might be approaching ten), in black. It's mainly failed
at knots. I did use knotting but I wasn't starting with fresh timber
but previously painted.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimM" wrote in message
I'm hoping to give my exterior woodwork a bit of a spruce up next week,
any recommendations on what the best exterior gloss is or are they all
pretty much the same.

Totally not all the same. I did a little looking into this last year.
Briefly a few things to consider:

Any paint labelled non-drip / one coat / easy cleanup / etc will have
compromised its primary function of durable finish for ease of application
and use. That means no paint aimed at the diy market will give you the best
results. Trade paint is better.

Even if the tin looks the same the paint labelled for instance Dulux
Weathershield in B&Q is _not_ the same paint as the Dulux Weathershield from
the Trade supplier. Totally different product. Suprising but true.

The best quality paints come from companies with the capacity to research,
innovate and properly test their products.

Some of the best paints do require the correct primers and undercoats, the
right film thickness, right drying times etc. to perform properly. If you
are just sprucing up the existing with a quick coat then there is not so
much point paying for the best. Any traditional oil based gloss might do the
job well.

Is an oil based paint better than a water/acrylicpaint? Yes, of course it
is. The move to water based is not driven by quality improvement but by
environmental issues and ease of use. You may find environmmental issues are
paramount, but don't use acrylic for a durable coating.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 9:29*am, stuart noble wrote:
On 10/02/2011 20:18, JimM wrote:

I'm hoping to give my exterior woodwork a bit of a spruce up next week,
any recommendations on what the best exterior gloss is or are they all
pretty much the same.

Thanks

Jim

In the case of white, pretty much all the same. A "liquid gloss" oil
based is hard wearing and easy to apply, but discolours over time. An
acrylic water based gloss doesn't flow well, looks "tacky", but stays
white.

I would argue with the last point.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:18:29 -0000, "JimM" wrote:

I'm hoping to give my exterior woodwork a bit of a spruce up next week, any
recommendations on what the best exterior gloss is or are they all pretty
much the same.

Sadolin Superdec was guaranteed for 10 years; I have it on my fascias
and soffits, about seven years old now. Crown Stronghold exterior is
guaranteed for six years as is Sandtex exterior gloss.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2011 12:43, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:18:29 -0000, wrote:

I'm hoping to give my exterior woodwork a bit of a spruce up next week, any
recommendations on what the best exterior gloss is or are they all pretty
much the same.

Sadolin Superdec was guaranteed for 10 years; I have it on my fascias
and soffits, about seven years old now. Crown Stronghold exterior is
guaranteed for six years as is Sandtex exterior gloss.

These are not unconditional guarantees though. The paint film won't
fail, but your substrate might well do. That's how the manufacturers
view it if you ever take it up with them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all that replied

The existing paint is pretty tired to say the least, I've given it all a
good rub down with a wire brush to remove the flaky stuff and then gone over
it with some 120 grit. In some places it's back to bare wood so I'll
probably go over everything with an undercoat/primer and then the topcoat.
Sounds like the Dulux Weathershield system may fit the bill?

Cheers

Jim