Default Exterior gloss?

Any views on best exterior paint for woodwork, fit for 4+ years of
Scottish weather? Have used international paints in past, but not that
impressed. TIA for any advice

andrewpreece

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any views on best exterior paint for woodwork, fit for 4+ years of
Scottish weather? Have used international paints in past, but not that
impressed. TIA for any advice

Dulux Weathershield? Try a builder's merchants, I seem to remember
not finding it in the DIY sheds. Expensive though.

Andy.

chris French

In message , andrewpreece
writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
Any views on best exterior paint for woodwork, fit for 4+ years of
Scottish weather? Have used international paints in past, but not that
impressed. TIA for any advice

Dulux Weathershield? Try a builder's merchants, I seem to remember
not finding it in the DIY sheds. Expensive though.

I've got it from the sheds.

Note that 'Trade' and 'Retail' versions of the paint aren't quite the
same. In particular I noticed the claimed life for the Trade version of
the system is a bit longer, and the undercoat was some sort of oil based
rather than water based acrylic.
--
Chris French

andrewpreece

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , andrewpreece
writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
Any views on best exterior paint for woodwork, fit for 4+ years of
Scottish weather? Have used international paints in past, but not that
impressed. TIA for any advice

Dulux Weathershield? Try a builder's merchants, I seem to remember
not finding it in the DIY sheds. Expensive though.

I've got it from the sheds.

Note that 'Trade' and 'Retail' versions of the paint aren't quite the
same. In particular I noticed the claimed life for the Trade version of
the system is a bit longer, and the undercoat was some sort of oil based
rather than water based acrylic.
--
Chris French

Aah yes! That was it. I think the trade version says 8 years for life,
whereas the
retail stuff is less. I went for the trade version, got it at my local
builder's merchants.

Andy.

andrewpreece

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , andrewpreece
writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
Any views on best exterior paint for woodwork, fit for 4+ years of
Scottish weather? Have used international paints in past, but not that
impressed. TIA for any advice

My little tip for painting, apart from using the full paint system as Chris
says
( it's tedious though ), is to radius off all sharp edges on any woodwork,
as
that seems to be a weak point for paint to crack.

Andy.

The paint industry has caused an enormous problem. Modern alkyd paints
are waterproof. When the paint cracks water can get in and wet the
wood but the waterproof paint stops the wood drying easily. The higher
moisture content of the wood allows it to rot and the paint lifts off
the surface of the damp wood. Unless the wood is regularly repainted,
before cracks develop, you will be left with flaking paint and rotting
timber.
Paint used to be made out of linseed oil and pigment and not much else.
Real linseed oil paint is vapour permeable. If water gets into the
wood it can dry out quickly. The bond between paint and wood remains
intact and the wood remains dry enough to prevent rot. No flaking, no
rotten timber.
To use linseed oil paint first coat the bare timber with a thin coat of
linseed oil. Leave for a couple of days. Then apply three coats of
linseed oil paint as thinly as you can, allowing two or three days
between coats. Only do this during the summer months. In seven years
time give the work another coat of linseed oil. After a further seven
years add another coat of linseed oil paint. Keep up this 14 year
cycle forever, rembering to instruct your grandchildren.
Disadvantages of real linseed oil paint:- Only paint in warm weather.
Professionals don't like it because they can't paint in the morning,
put another coat on in the afternoon and move to a new job tomorrow.
The manufacturers don't like it because you only buy enough to add one
coat every 14 years. That is not good for commerce. Not many shops
sell it.
Advantages of real linseed oil paint:- It lasts a very long time,
never flaking and keeping the wood dry. There are no volatile
componants. It sets by oxidation rather than drying. It is made from
sustainably grown oils not petroleum. It is non-toxic. Brushes and
hands can be washed in soap and water. It smells lovely and looks
great.
Where can I get it? The biggest manufacturer is Allback, a Sweedish
company. It is imported by Holkham Paints. Smaller ammounts are made
in England by The Real Paint and Varnish Company.
Links:-
http://www.linoljeprodukter.se/eng/contact.html
http://www.holkham.co.uk/linseedpaints/
http://www.realpaints.com/