Magnusfarce

Default Gloss Level for Exterior Paint

I went shopping for exterior paint yesterday and was told by the paint
salesman that a common choice these days is a satin or mild gloss as opposed
to regular old flat paint for siding or main surfaces. I'm aware this
change has taken place in interior paints (satin as opposed to flat for
walls). Is the same thing happening with exterior paints? My specific
examples would be BM's MoorGard (Low Lustre) versus MoorLife (flat).
(MoorGlo is their semigloss or trim paint.) Thanks.

- Magnusfarce

SQLit

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
I went shopping for exterior paint yesterday and was told by the paint
salesman that a common choice these days is a satin or mild gloss as

opposed
to regular old flat paint for siding or main surfaces. I'm aware this
change has taken place in interior paints (satin as opposed to flat for
walls). Is the same thing happening with exterior paints? My specific
examples would be BM's MoorGard (Low Lustre) versus MoorLife (flat).
(MoorGlo is their semigloss or trim paint.) Thanks.

- Magnusfarce

I live in Phoenix and every HOA that I know of prohibits glossy paint on the
exterior of homes.

---

m Ransley

Nothing is changing, the right paint and sheen must be picked for each
job. Sherwin Williams has 5 levels of sheen if I remember correctly. In
houses flat may be better for one room , high gloss another. It is what
is apropriate for the job that is important.

Norminn

Magnusfarce wrote:
I went shopping for exterior paint yesterday and was told by the paint
salesman that a common choice these days is a satin or mild gloss as opposed
to regular old flat paint for siding or main surfaces. I'm aware this
change has taken place in interior paints (satin as opposed to flat for
walls). Is the same thing happening with exterior paints? My specific
examples would be BM's MoorGard (Low Lustre) versus MoorLife (flat).
(MoorGlo is their semigloss or trim paint.) Thanks.

- Magnusfarce

Here in Florida, semi-gloss is almost universally used. Sheds dirt
better than flat, and probably holds less mold/mildew. I think glossy
is hideous, and it shows defects more easily.

Semi has been pretty standard in kitchens and baths for washability. I
don't care for it in other rooms, but it has become popular. Depends a
bit on use - five toddlers will coat the walls with goo that needs to be
washed off. Smokers = more dirt. More sheen = more defects show. Less
sheen = less easy to clean.

Roger

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Nothing is changing, the right paint and sheen must be picked for each
job. Sherwin Williams has 5 levels of sheen if I remember correctly. In
houses flat may be better for one room , high gloss another. It is what
is apropriate for the job that is important.

Magnusfarce is asking about exterior paint.
Satin or other gloss paints are easier to clean and may be desirable for
interior trim, but can look strange on wall areas, unless in small rooms
like bathrooms. Re exterior, why would you want any gloss at all on the
outside? I've tried semigloss on exterior trim, but it doesn't look so hot,
and tho cleans easily, does not outlast the flat used on trim. I think flat
acrylic also breathes better, so may be more resistant to bucking/peeling
due to trapped moisture behind the paint. I know of no such industry
"changes" in finish preference for outside paints that your dealer refers
to.

Magnusfarce

Thanks everyone. I should probably re-emphasize two things:

1) I'm talking about exterior, not interior paint; and

2) I was trying to describe a paint for the main walls that has just a touch
of sheen, not a semi gloss and ceratinly not a gloss finish.

- Magnusfarce

fsteddie

I have been a painting contractor for over 30 yrs In new england.
in he past 15 or 20 yrs we have speced high gloss on ex trim with semi or
soft gloss for the body.This is for high end residential projects
It does clean easier and looks new longer.

have always used oil based semi and gloss for interior trim

"Roger" wrote in message

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

dadiOH

Magnusfarce wrote:
Thanks everyone. I should probably re-emphasize two things:

1) I'm talking about exterior, not interior paint; and

2) I was trying to describe a paint for the main walls that has
just a touch of sheen, not a semi gloss and ceratinly not a gloss
finish.

It looks fine and is not unusual. You can barely see the sheen in that with
which I am familiar (my house).

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Tracey

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
I went shopping for exterior paint yesterday and was told by the paint
salesman that a common choice these days is a satin or mild gloss as

opposed
to regular old flat paint for siding or main surfaces. I'm aware this
change has taken place in interior paints (satin as opposed to flat for
walls). Is the same thing happening with exterior paints? My specific
examples would be BM's MoorGard (Low Lustre) versus MoorLife (flat).
(MoorGlo is their semigloss or trim paint.) Thanks.

We have painted both of our homes with the Benjamin Moore MooreGuard Low
Lustre and been very pleased with it. House #1 is cedar shingles and House
#2 is (Ugh) Texture 1-11.
We used the same type of paint for the trim in both cases.

Tom Baker

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message ...
Thanks everyone. I should probably re-emphasize two things:

1) I'm talking about exterior, not interior paint; and

2) I was trying to describe a paint for the main walls that has just a touch
of sheen, not a semi gloss and ceratinly not a gloss finish.

- Magnusfarce

We just finished repainting with BM.
I'll check in the morning, but think it is semigloss.
We live in Charleston SC and have a major problem with mildew, pollen
and other wind borne particles.
We have received several unsolicited compliments on the appearance of
the paint.
TB

Bryan

Magnusfarce wrote:
Thanks everyone. I should probably re-emphasize two things:

1) I'm talking about exterior, not interior paint; and

2) I was trying to describe a paint for the main walls that has just a touch
of sheen, not a semi gloss and ceratinly not a gloss finish.

We bought a quart of flat, satin, and semi-gloss, all in the same color,
and did a test on a wall. We decided which we liked, and had the whole
building painted.

It was a very inexpensive test compared to the price of the paint job.

- b