Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which grab adhesive?

I need some sticky stuff (treated/unpainted wood to powder
coated metal, little shear/peel force, exterior use and will
have some exposure to rain/dew, no direct sunlight)

My first inclination is to get out the power tools, drill
through the p/c steel and screw it to the woodwork. Although
this is complicated, since the steel is in place, so it's
difficult to get screws through the steel, into the woodwork.
The work also has to be done up a ladder, so dismantling and
acrobatics are not possible.

However I'm aware of all these "new fangled" adhesives and
wonder if any of them are up to the job. There won't be any
load-bearing, just supporting the wooden panels at the top.
Their weight is suppported by what they are resting on.

Looking at the toolstation catalog, they have a plethora
of offerings, in price order:

Glue Screws - solvent free (their own brand)
Glue Screws - solvent based
Gripfill *
Pinkgrip
Gripfill solvent free **
Pinkgrip solvent free **
Stixall M.S. polymer
Sticks Like

* the only one that explicitly mentions exterior use
** specifies interior use only

The question is: which one to use. I don't want to have
to go back and redo the work for at least 10 years, yet
apart from the superlatives that make up the descriptions
of each product, there's little to say which ones are
better or worse - or more/less suitable for my task.

So, which ones do you use?
War staories about exceptional performance (either good
or bad) appreciated.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/29...0927237159.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete ) wibbled on Saturday 29
January 2011 11:53:

I need some sticky stuff (treated/unpainted wood to powder
coated metal, little shear/peel force, exterior use and will
have some exposure to rain/dew, no direct sunlight)

http://www.siroflex.co.uk/sections_mac/aboutus.html
There's a link to an adhesion specifier.

But, with your problem, I would start phong then and Everbuild (who make
PinkGrip): http://www.everbuild.co.uk/

and ask them if they would recommend anything in particular. Ask for
"technical".

I've done this with several companies where I had a non standard problem to
solve and they were all generally very helpful.

HTH

Tim

[...]

Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 12:22, Tim Watts wrote:
pete ) wibbled on Saturday 29
January 2011 11:53:

[...]

Stixall. Unbelievable stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:56:25 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Thanks chaps. Looks like it'll be the Stixall. It does sound
like rather handy stuff.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/29...1531012600.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:56:25 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 29/01/2011 12:22, Tim Watts wrote:
pete ) wibbled on Saturday 29
January 2011 11:53:

Glue Screws - solvent based
Gripfill *
Pinkgrip
Gripfill solvent free **
Pinkgrip solvent free **
Stixall M.S. polymer
Sticks Like

* the only one that explicitly mentions exterior use
** specifies interior use only

I fitted all my skirting with Pinkgrip seems a good product, just bought
some Evostick "Evograb adhesive ... it was USELESS .. it says high grab in
seconds, it was pathetic ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

"pete" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:56:25 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 29/01/2011 12:22, Tim Watts wrote:
pete ) wibbled on Saturday 29
January 2011 11:53:

Glue Screws - solvent based
Gripfill *
Pinkgrip
Gripfill solvent free **
Pinkgrip solvent free **
Stixall M.S. polymer
Sticks Like

* the only one that explicitly mentions exterior use
** specifies interior use only

I fitted all my skirting with Pinkgrip seems a good product, just
bought some Evostick "Evograb adhesive ... it was USELESS .. it says high
grab in seconds, it was pathetic ...

Completely agree. Snatched at some recently, because my favourite (Gripfill,
solvent) was out. Did NOT do what it says on the tube.
Unfortunately, second time I have been disappointed with an Evo product.
Years ago bought their bathroom sealant "with extra 30% grip and fast cure"
to install WHB and shower enclosure. It just would not cure, kept
redissolving when wetted. Phoned tech support. They told me it was an
Acrylic emulsion, which will do that until cured. AND quoted cure times
apply to 2 mm thickness, my thickness would take weeks. It did. I never saw
it on the market again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 29, 11:53*am, pete
wrote:
[...]

--http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/292011010927237159.php

I would use Gorilla Glue, which is happy outside.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:13:32 -0800 (PST), Jonathan wrote:
On Jan 29, 11:53Â*am, pete
wrote:
[...]

Followup, some weeks after posting this. I went with the advice
and used Stixall. Did the job nicely.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/15...1181821601.php

Grab adhesive in screw top tubes The Medway Handyman UK diy 5 April 27th 08 03:08 PM
grab adhesive (removal) Fred UK diy 0 December 20th 07 05:57 PM
Cerafix Grabs Like Nails/ B&Q Exterior Grab Adhesive (information) jim UK diy 0 August 16th 06 11:32 AM
Interlocking Suspended Ceiling/Fixing Trunking - Self adhesive or Impact adhesive. [email protected] UK diy 0 February 3rd 06 09:21 AM
'Wudcare' fast grab instant wood adhesive Alex UK diy 0 October 19th 05 10:09 PM