Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why is ordering from CPC/Farnell such hard work?

Wanted some 0.2" Molex KK shells and inserts. Found the shells without too
much difficulty on Farnell but the inserts listed as accessories said they
were suitable for some list of code numbers none of which I could
find listed anywhere, and when I followed some link they seemed to be for
0.156" connectors, no mention of 0.2". Fortunately I've a paper copy of
the CPC cat and it listed a few Molex KKs and mentioned that the inserts
are the same for 0.156 and 0.2" so I went ahead and tried to order those.
No go: Farnell minimum order is £20, goods ordered barely over a tenner,
no way could I use double the amount I was already ordering or find
anything else in their ghod-awful online cataloge to add to it so ... over
to CPC.

CPC only do 3 way and 10 way shells but I've got a stanley so order 5 of
the 10-way shells and some inserts. About £15 with VAT and delivery. Then
it demands I either log in or register. Dig out the scrap of electrons
with my username and password I'd registered before and bung it in: no
dice, doesn't recognise it. Password reset ... wait for email ... back
comes some random password, put *that* in - *still* no dice!

Eventually went back and registered a new account with a one-time
throw-away username and ... now it's lost everything I ordered so back to
the catalogue to find stock numbers again.

I really really would not have ordered from them if I could have got it
from anyone else!

Oh and Maplins were helpful: I phoned up their shop to ask if they had
0.2" Molexes in, described the sort of thing, yes they have, some suitable
sized shells and inserts, off I go driving across town in the rush hour.
What have they got? Only 0.1" ones. Bar stewards. I have now spent the
better part of my afternoon & evening trying to get a handful of bits of
plastic and tin whose actual material and production cost is probably
about 10p :-(

--
John Stumbles

I've got nothing against racists - I just wouldn't want my daughter to marry one
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 10:22*pm, John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

I used to prefer Farnell about twenty years ago,now I never consider
them. I rarely go past RS nowadays..
I used Rapid for a while until they kept insisting a reel of cable was
on it`s way when in reality it was on several weeks back order.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles ) wibbled on Wednesday 26 January
2011 22:22:

snip

I just tried to order a load of AA/AAA/button batteries via CPC.

1st time - order accepted for delivery to work (a place CPC deliver arse
loads to). 4 days later - no goods. Phoned them - oh, you specified a
different delivery address to you CC address on a first order - order
cancelled. Eventually found the email about it in my SPAM folder (which
hardly every gets false positives).

Complained. They said - here, have an account number (WTF x 2?) -that'll
work.

2nd time - used that number, placed the same order, accepted. 2 days later -
order on Hold. Another email in SPAM.

I lost the will to live and bought them from Argos.

I tend to use RS these days - seems less painful.
--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
John Stumbles ) wibbled on Wednesday 26 January
2011 22:22:

snip

I just tried to order a load of AA/AAA/button batteries via CPC.

1st time - order accepted for delivery to work (a place CPC deliver arse
loads to). 4 days later - no goods. Phoned them - oh, you specified a
different delivery address to you CC address on a first order - order
cancelled. Eventually found the email about it in my SPAM folder (which
hardly every gets false positives).

Complained. They said - here, have an account number (WTF x 2?) -that'll
work.

2nd time - used that number, placed the same order, accepted. 2 days later -
order on Hold. Another email in SPAM.

I lost the will to live and bought them from Argos.

I tend to use RS these days - seems less painful.

Do they ever have anything in stock ?

They seem to have become masters of "not quite in time"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:48:24 -0800 (PST), mark
wrote:

[...]

I last used Farnell (real Farnell rather than CPC) about ten years ago
and was quite impressed. I ordered a few items by email from work at
about 4·30pm (for myself) and they were delivered by courier (I can't
remember who!) before 8·30 am the following day to my home before I
left for work.

Just a reel of wire and a load of knurled binding posts, ISTR.

I retired (early!) about five years ago and have re-befriended myself
with the semi-local RS trade counter and have no problem buying stuff
there by CC...

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:48:24 -0800 (PST), mark wrote:

I used to prefer Farnell about twenty years ago,now I never consider
them. I rarely go past RS nowadays..

I always feel embarassed/guilty about using RS. The last order I placed
with them was for a couple of I.Cs. for a whopping £13.50 (+free delivery)
They arrived early next morning in a bag about 1,000 times their actual
size, with more packaging and documentation than you could shake a stick at.
Then the official invoice arrived by mail a couple of days later.

I used Rapid for a while until they kept insisting a reel of cable was
on it`s way when in reality it was on several weeks back order.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/26...1702377936.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 10:48*pm, mark wrote:
[...]

At one time Farnell would take smaller orders but you had to pay a
handling fee.

I used to prefer Farnell about twenty years ago,now I never consider
them. I rarely go past RS nowadays..

The only problem I've had with Farnell recently is that orders under a
certain weight are sent Royal Mail. RM still had a massive backlog a
couple of weeks ago and stuff was taking a week to arrive that was
usually next day or the day after at worst.

rarely go near RS due to their prices and insistance on MOQs of 5 or
10 for ICs that farnell or rapid will sell singly.

I used Rapid for a while until they kept insisting a reel of cable was
on it`s way when in reality it was on several weeks back order.

I find the Rapid website quite clear about what is in stock and what
is on back order.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 10:22*pm, John Stumbles wrote:
Wanted some 0.2" Molex KK shells and inserts. Found the shells without too
much difficulty on Farnell but the inserts listed as accessories said they
were suitable for some list of code numbers none of which I could
find listed anywhere, and when I followed some link they seemed to be for
0.156" connectors, no mention of 0.2". Fortunately I've a paper copy of
the CPC cat and it listed a few Molex KKs and mentioned that the inserts
are the same for 0.156 and 0.2" so I went ahead and tried to order those.
No go: Farnell minimum order is £20, goods ordered barely over a tenner,

Just checked my order history and I placed an on-line credit card
order for less than £2 in december '09 and was not charged any postage
or handling!

I do have an account number but it's still a "cash" account, no
credit.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 23:43:59 +0000, geoff wrote:

I tend to use RS these days - seems less painful.

They have got back into the habit of charging me for delivery, for a
few months last year they forgot to charge at all, but I have lots of
issues with delivery and delays in orders, they are driving me up the
bloody wall with their excuses.

Farnells makes sense because delivery is 'free', even when it is
dispatched from multiple locations including their warehouse near
Liege, plus they use UPS rather than Parcelfarce who royally ****ed me
about with extensive 'snow' delay excuse when the roads were clear
and every other delivery company made it through no problem.

Do they ever have anything in stock ?

They seem to have become masters of "not quite in time"

....or almost too bloody late, or some time next week, or when we feel
like it, or sometimes not at all as backorders drag out for months.

I topped an order up with some SMD LED's recently, I only needed a
couple, they had a minimum order of 50, and it clearly took a complete
day to pack them, delaying the rest of the order meaning next day
delivery instead of Friday became Monday - and they still delivered
them in two envelopes. Everything that I ordered was allegedly 'in
stock'

Hopeless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , pete
writes
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:48:24 -0800 (PST), mark wrote:

I used to prefer Farnell about twenty years ago,now I never consider
them. I rarely go past RS nowadays..

I always feel embarassed/guilty about using RS. The last order I placed
with them was for a couple of I.Cs. for a whopping £13.50 (+free delivery)
They arrived early next morning in a bag

One bag?

They normally send the light stuff in a box and the heave stuff in
another jiffy bag

....assuming they actually have what you want in stock

about 1,000 times their actual
size, with more packaging and documentation than you could shake a stick at.
Then the official invoice arrived by mail a couple of days later.

I used Rapid for a while until they kept insisting a reel of cable was
on it`s way when in reality it was on several weeks back order.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 10:22*pm, John Stumbles wrote:

Oh and Maplins were helpful: I phoned up their shop to ask if they had
0.2" Molexes in, described the sort of thing, yes they have, some suitable
sized shells and inserts, off I go driving across town in the rush hour.
What have they got? Only 0.1" ones. Bar stewards. I have now spent the
better part of my afternoon & evening trying to get a handful of bits of
plastic and tin whose actual material and production cost is probably
about 10p :-(

Always check Maplins' website - it shows stock levels in shops. Then
you have to ask for the item in the shop as it may be in the storeroom
and not on display.

Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2011 17:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/01/2011 15:51, Dave W wrote:
On Jan 26, 10:22 pm, John wrote:

Oh and Maplins were helpful: I phoned up their shop to ask if they had
0.2" Molexes in, described the sort of thing, yes they have, some
suitable
sized shells and inserts, off I go driving across town in the rush hour.
What have they got? Only 0.1" ones. Bar stewards. I have now spent the
better part of my afternoon& evening trying to get a handful of bits of
plastic and tin whose actual material and production cost is probably
about 10p :-(

Always check Maplins' website - it shows stock levels in shops. Then
you have to ask for the item in the shop as it may be in the storeroom
and not on display.

Odd thing is, when I first started going to Maplin as a kid in the '80s
(at their original and only branch in Westcliff) - it was all counter
service - very little on display and no self service at all. At the time
I thought it was a shame there was not more on display so you could go
fiddle / look etc.

Only later did they expand the shop and do just that, and it became the
model they copied for all the other shops. Alas having tried it, I
realised the counter service worked much better in practice - especially
for small bits.

As a kid (in the late 1960s) I worked in John Birkett's electronic bits
shop in Lincoln - but I doubt anybody here remembers that - 'twas great fun.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 10:22 pm, John wrote:

[...]

I worked in Technical Trading in Brighton, and occasionally Tottenham
Court Road - anyone remember them? I stopped in about 1967..

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 10:22 pm, John wrote:

[...]

That started me thinking - a quick google - and it seems that John B is
still going! http://www.zyra.org.uk/birkett.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 28 Jan,
NoSpam wrote:

As a kid (in the late 1960s) I worked in John Birkett's electronic bits
shop in Lincoln - but I doubt anybody here remembers that - 'twas great fun

Very good for semiconductors IIRC in the 70s. Has it gone defunct?

The Strait, Lincoln if memory is correct.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As a kid (in the late 1960s) I worked in John Birkett's electronic bits
shop in Lincoln - but I doubt anybody here remembers that - 'twas great
fun.

I worked in Technical Trading in Brighton, and occasionally Tottenham
Court Road - anyone remember them? I stopped in about 1967..

Yes all of those.. and Tottenham ct road and Laskys and Henrys radio
bull electrical .. where yer wanna stop;?....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 28, 6:46*pm, NoSpam wrote:

As a kid (in the late 1960s) I worked in John Birkett's electronic bits
shop in Lincoln - but I doubt anybody here remembers that - 'twas great fun.

I was there last September. It's probably the last remaining of that
sort of shop, still just as they used to be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:55:13 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Odd thing is, when I first started going to Maplin as a kid in the '80s
(at their original and only branch in Westcliff) - it was all counter
service - very little on display and no self service at all. At the time
I thought it was a shame there was not more on display so you could go
fiddle / look etc.

Only later did they expand the shop and do just that, and it became the
model they copied for all the other shops. Alas having tried it, I
realised the counter service worked much better in practice - especially
for small bits.

When they first opened a shop near me many years ago I could find my
way round no problem, then they 'reorganised', nothing was where it
used to be, nothing was adjacent to other similar stock lines.
Now, on the rare occasion I visit them, I have a quick look and if
it's not immediately obvious I play dumb and go straight to the
counter and let them show me where the bits I want to buy are.

Many places are much cheaper, and driving to a shop often tips the
balance in favour of an online shop nearly always elsewhere as Maplin
aren't cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Placed orders with both Farnell and CPC in early hours (just after
midnight) Tuesday morning, hoping for delivery today (Wednesday).
Strangely, both are still marked as Processing today, which is
rather unusal - normally they manage to get the goods out of the
door the same day, even when you order at 6pm.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 10:09:03 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Placed orders with both Farnell and CPC in early hours (just after
midnight) Tuesday morning, hoping for delivery today (Wednesday).
Strangely, both are still marked as Processing today, which is rather
unusal - normally they manage to get the goods out of the door the same
day, even when you order at 6pm.

I've found that is often just that they forgot to update the system...you
may still get it today.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 10:09*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
Placed orders with both Farnell and CPC in early hours (just after
midnight) Tuesday morning, hoping for delivery today (Wednesday).
Strangely, both are still marked as Processing today, which is
rather unusal - normally they manage to get the goods out of the
door the same day, even when you order at 6pm.

Getting the goods out of the door the same day is not the same as next
day delivery, unless you pay for one of the premium delivery options.
Under a certain weight it will be sent by Royal mail rather than
courier.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 10:09:03 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Placed orders with both Farnell and CPC in early hours (just after
midnight) Tuesday morning, hoping for delivery today (Wednesday).
Strangely, both are still marked as Processing today, which is rather
unusal - normally they manage to get the goods out of the door the same
day, even when you order at 6pm.

I've found that is often just that they forgot to update the system...you
may still get it today.

You are spot on - both turned up at lunchtime, even though it still
says "Processing" on the website.

The 8' aerial mast raised a smile with the delivery driver.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Placed orders with both Farnell and CPC in early hours (just after
midnight) Tuesday morning, hoping for delivery today (Wednesday).
Strangely, both are still marked as Processing today, which is
rather unusal - normally they manage to get the goods out of the
door the same day, even when you order at 6pm.

Getting the goods out of the door the same day is not the same as next
day delivery, unless you pay for one of the premium delivery options.
Under a certain weight it will be sent by Royal mail rather than
courier.

Only time CPC seems to send via RM is a small item which has been on
backorder. I've never had the main order anything other than UPS,
regardless of size, and it virtually always comes next day.
I have occasionally paid for next day delivery when that was
essential.

Farnell also came UPS, but I don't use them often enough to have
worked out what all their rules are.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 2:35*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I asked a sales droid recently when trying to track down a parcel that
was stuck in the RM post Xmas/snow backlog. He said it's the weight
that determines it, but didn't specifiy the cutoff. The clue is if
there is no UPS tracking number available (assuming it gets updated).

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Stumbles
saying something like:

I really really would not have ordered from them if I could have got it
from anyone else!

Their online catalogue really is ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer writes:

The good old days really were .. just how many teenagers these days
would save up for weeks, get the postal orders and then spend ages
working on the latest things from Camm's comic .. and never get the
bu^^ers to work;!...

It must have been from the unkindly-described comic that I got the idea
for saving a valve (a huge expense for a kid).
Use the I.F. amplifier as the audio amplifier also.

It sort of worked, but had a tendency to oscillate !

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote:
tony sayer writes:

The good old days really were .. just how many teenagers these days
would save up for weeks, get the postal orders and then spend ages
working on the latest things from Camm's comic .. and never get the
bu^^ers to work;!...

It must have been from the unkindly-described comic that I got the idea
for saving a valve (a huge expense for a kid).
Use the I.F. amplifier as the audio amplifier also.

It sort of worked, but had a tendency to oscillate !

Super regen, IIRC. They did have that nasty habit, and could really foul
up other people's reception for quite a long way down the street.....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

CPC vs Farnell? adrian UK diy 32 May 14th 09 09:28 AM
Hard work Hoovering? John UK diy 13 April 14th 09 08:15 AM
hard work never fails [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 26th 08 02:45 PM
farnell L30 Power supply help? paul405 Electronics Repair 1 November 14th 04 10:29 PM