Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hard work Hoovering?

Elderly relative was complaining about Hoovering being tiring. I watched
her doing it and saw she was "scrubbing" quite hard and fast with it. I
suggested she should let the revolving suction, brushes and beaters do the
work and guide it slowly around the room - single pass.
She looked at me in total disbelief!

Am I right?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Elderly relative was complaining about Hoovering being tiring. I
watched her doing it and saw she was "scrubbing" quite hard and fast with
it. I suggested she should let the revolving suction, brushes and beaters
do the work and guide it slowly around the room - single pass.
She looked at me in total disbelief!

lol, was she by any chance a maid in a big house at the turn of the
centuary???
i saw a film type thing ages ago showing the hoover thing they used back
then, one person to work the foot operated bellows to produce the suction,
and the other to scrub the floor with the lance... as no turbo brushes back
then, so the fixed brushes had to manually scrub the dirt out of the
carpet/floor to be sucked up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr, 12:42, "gazz"
wrote:

lol, was she by any chance a maid in a big house at the turn of the
centuary???

If so she's about 130, no wonder she's finding it hard going.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Elderly relative was complaining about Hoovering being tiring. I
watched her doing it and saw she was "scrubbing" quite hard and fast with
it. I suggested she should let the revolving suction, brushes and beaters
do the work and guide it slowly around the room - single pass.
She looked at me in total disbelief!

Am I right?

Dead right.

IME many women don't have the first idea how to clean anything. (Hides
behind sofa).

This goes back to the old days of the early uprights. The single motor
drove the vacuum fan & the brush bar. Bad idea since a vacuum fan needs to
run fast (16,000 rpm) and a brush bar slowly (200rpm ish). Difficult to do
with one motor. The belt was in the middle of the brush so it left a strip
'unbrushed' and unvacuumed. You had to overlap & scrub a lot to ensure even
coverage.

Added to this was the use of 'dirty' fans & bottom fill bags, it was a
wonder they worked at all.

Modern vacs will clean in one pass as you rightly say, but cleaning
techniques are passed down without any thought as to the science or logic
behind what you are doing.

Don't get me started on mopping floors, polishing furniture or cleaning
toilets.

(British Institute of Cleaning Science approved trainer) (Lapsed).

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr, 11:55, "John" wrote:
* * Elderly relative was complaining about Hoovering being tiring. I watched
her doing it and saw she was "scrubbing" quite hard and fast with it. I
suggested she should let the revolving suction, brushes and beaters do the
work and guide it slowly around the room - single pass.
She looked at me in total disbelief!

Am I right?

PS Smartarse comments aside, yes you must be right. The machine is
supposed to do the work for you. If she insists on putting in all the
effort herself she might as well save a few bob in lecky and revert to
a good stiff broom (sorry, I was supposed to be avoiding smartarse
comments).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman scribeth thus

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Does your Missus know you go round posting things like this Dave;?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman wrote

Don't get me started on mopping floors, polishing furniture or cleaning
toilets.

A few years back we used to have a cleaner at my place of work who
prided himself on the cleanness of the toilets. The mirrors were clean,
the chrome taps were shiny etc.

Unfortunately he used the same damp cloth to clean the sinks and taps as
previously used to clean in and around the urinals and pans.

--
Alan

news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:50:31 +0100, Alan wrote:
A few years back we used to have a cleaner at my place of work who
prided himself on the cleanness of the toilets. The mirrors were clean,
the chrome taps were shiny etc.

Unfortunately he used the same damp cloth to clean the sinks and taps as
previously used to clean in and around the urinals and pans.

If the workplace had a small kitchen, and the same guy used to clean
that with the same cloth, *then* I'd worry, I think :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Elderly relative was complaining about Hoovering being tiring. I watched
her doing it and saw she was "scrubbing" quite hard and fast with it. I
suggested she should let the revolving suction, brushes and beaters do the
work and guide it slowly around the room - single pass.
She looked at me in total disbelief!

Am I right?

If you are talking about either an upright cleaner or a powered head
cylinder cleaner, then yes.

For a bog standard cylinder cleaner with no rotating brush/beater bar,
then some manual brushing will be required on carpets.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
John wrote:

Elderly relative was complaining about Hoovering being tiring. I
watched her doing it and saw she was "scrubbing" quite hard and fast with
it. I suggested she should let the revolving suction, brushes and beaters
do the work and guide it slowly around the room - single pass.
She looked at me in total disbelief!

Am I right?

If you are talking about either an upright cleaner or a powered head
cylinder cleaner, then yes.

For a bog standard cylinder cleaner with no rotating brush/beater bar,
then some manual brushing will be required on carpets.

--
Cheers,

John.

Sorry - yes , an upright - revolving brush/beater

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Elderly relative was complaining about Hoovering being tiring. I
watched her doing it and saw she was "scrubbing" quite hard and fast with
it. I suggested she should let the revolving suction, brushes and beaters
do the work and guide it slowly around the room - single pass.
She looked at me in total disbelief!

Am I right?

ISTR an industry recommendation that, to clean a carpet properly, you needed
to do at least six passes over the same spot.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:50:31 +0100, Alan wrote:
A few years back we used to have a cleaner at my place of work who
prided himself on the cleanness of the toilets. The mirrors were clean,
the chrome taps were shiny etc.

Unfortunately he used the same damp cloth to clean the sinks and taps as
previously used to clean in and around the urinals and pans.

If the workplace had a small kitchen, and the same guy used to clean
that with the same cloth, *then* I'd worry, I think :-)

We once had cleaners who discovered that the pads off the floor
machines fitted neatly for drying on top of the Burco tea
boilers. The only non-carpeted floors were the toilets.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Broadback wrote:
Well having just had a heart attack I find that hoovering is one of the
tasks forbidden for a while, then recommended as an exercise to improve
your fitness.

Was that a female nurse told you that? ;-)

I noticed that, after a back strain, the next time I was up to
vacuuming, I really felt that some muscles had been given a
workout.

Chris