Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
David Peters

Default Hoovering glass fibre loft insulation (particles pass thru bag?)

I recently hoovered some parts of my loft which has a lot of loose
glass fibre "wool" insulation which was put down about 18 years ago.

Is it likely the smaller particles of this sort of glass fibre would
be small enough to pass through my vaccuum cleaner's paper bag where
the waste normally gathers?

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I use
the vaccuum cleaner in the house!
Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Stewart

"David Peters" wrote in message
I recently hoovered some parts of my loft which has a lot of loose
glass fibre "wool" insulation which was put down about 18 years ago.

Is it likely the smaller particles of this sort of glass fibre would
be small enough to pass through my vaccuum cleaner's paper bag where
the waste normally gathers?

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I use
the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Don't risk it. Anything which gets through will be the finer particles
which can get deeper into your lungs etc.

Throw the old bag away, take vacuum cleaner outside and run it for a short
time, fit new bag.
(Warnings about glass fibre seem to have increased over recent years.)
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Der alte Hexenmeister

"David Peters" wrote in message
I recently hoovered some parts of my loft which has a lot of loose
glass fibre "wool" insulation which was put down about 18 years ago.

Is it likely the smaller particles of this sort of glass fibre would
be small enough to pass through my vaccuum cleaner's paper bag where
the waste normally gathers?

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I use
the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Bag? Good grief! This is the 21st century, not the 19th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Der alte Hexenmeister

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
tadchem

"David Peters" wrote in message
I recently hoovered some parts of my loft which has a lot of loose
glass fibre "wool" insulation which was put down about 18 years ago.

Is it likely the smaller particles of this sort of glass fibre would
be small enough to pass through my vaccuum cleaner's paper bag where
the waste normally gathers?

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I use
the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Allow me to rephrase the question:
Are you *so* cheap that you are willing to put the health of every
air-breather in the house at risk to save yourself the expense of a paper
bag?

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
tadchem wrote:

"David Peters" wrote in message
I recently hoovered some parts of my loft which has a lot of loose
glass fibre "wool" insulation which was put down about 18 years ago.

Is it likely the smaller particles of this sort of glass fibre would
be small enough to pass through my vaccuum cleaner's paper bag where
the waste normally gathers?

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I use
the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Allow me to rephrase the question:
Are you *so* cheap that you are willing to put the health of every
air-breather in the house at risk to save yourself the expense of a paper
bag?

I guess you failed the comprehension test then.

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Der alte Hexenmeister

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
tadchem wrote:

"David Peters" wrote in message
I recently hoovered some parts of my loft which has a lot of loose
glass fibre "wool" insulation which was put down about 18 years ago.

Is it likely the smaller particles of this sort of glass fibre would
be small enough to pass through my vaccuum cleaner's paper bag where
the waste normally gathers?

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I use
the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Allow me to rephrase the question:
Are you *so* cheap that you are willing to put the health of every
air-breather in the house at risk to save yourself the expense of a paper
bag?

I guess you failed the comprehension test then.

I guess you are an idiot, then.
Don't call us, we'll call you.
*plonk*
Der alte Hexenmeister.

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
arvee

Der alte Hexenmeister wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
tadchem wrote:

"David Peters" wrote in message
I recently hoovered some parts of my loft which has a lot of loose
glass fibre "wool" insulation which was put down about 18 years ago.

Is it likely the smaller particles of this sort of glass fibre would
be small enough to pass through my vaccuum cleaner's paper bag where
the waste normally gathers?

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I use
the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Allow me to rephrase the question:
Are you *so* cheap that you are willing to put the health of every
air-breather in the house at risk to save yourself the expense of a paper
bag?

I guess you failed the comprehension test then.

I guess you are an idiot, then.
Don't call us, we'll call you.
*plonk*
Der alte Hexenmeister.

It seems that Rob is right. The original poster appeared to be worried
about glass particles going right through the bag and, I guess, into
the vacuum cleaner itself, to then be ejected later. (He was not
abolsutely clear, but he DID mention them going through the bag.)
Perhaps he should just vacuum the flat, then throw away the whole
vacuum cleaner. That way he can save the cost of buying a new bag.

RGV

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
David Peters

On Sun 01 Jan 2006 16:11:29, Der alte Hexenmeister
wrote:

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I
use the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Bag? Good grief! This is the 21st century, not the 19th.

The reviews I have read of the poorer centrifugal vaccuum cleaners
say that they are less effective than the "bag" cleaners.

As for Dyson, it is definitely effective but is one of the most
unreliable and overpriced of vaccuum cleaners.
Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Der alte Hexenmeister

"arvee" wrote in message
ps.com...
Der alte Hexenmeister wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
tadchem wrote:

[...]

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/home-ap...e?search=Dyson

Is he too cheap to buy his significant other a decent vacuum cleaner?
He can keep the old one for the garden shed.

I dropped my last pickled onion on my kitchen floor. Should it throw it away
or eat it?

Der alte Hexenmeister.

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Der alte Hexenmeister

wrote:

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I
use the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Bag? Good grief! This is the 21st century, not the 19th.

The reviews I have read of the poorer centrifugal vaccuum cleaners
say that they are less effective than the "bag" cleaners.

As for Dyson, it is definitely effective but is one of the most
unreliable and overpriced of vaccuum cleaners.

My Dyson cost me £2.50 for a new belt and a walk to the
rubbish pile where I first "bought" it.
I amazes me what people throw away, or why anyone would
ask a physics newsgroup if they should save the cost of a
a paper bag. Google HEPA filter.

Der alte Hexenmeister.

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
arvee

Der alte Hexenmeister wrote:
"arvee" wrote in message
ps.com...
Der alte Hexenmeister wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
tadchem wrote:

[...]

Why would you want to throw away or eat the kitchen floor? Why not
simply clean it?

RGV

Der alte Hexenmeister.

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Der alte Hexenmeister

"arvee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Der alte Hexenmeister wrote:
"arvee" wrote in message
ps.com...
Der alte Hexenmeister wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
tadchem wrote:

[...]

I don't know how to without emptying my vac.
It has cat hair in it. Having no bag, I don't know how to
empty it. I ate the broom, the cat sleeps in the dustpan.
I could vacuum the cat, I suppose... he'd look good in a Dyson.
Der alte Hexenmeister.

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
David Peters

wrote:

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I
use the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Bag? Good grief! This is the 21st century, not the 19th.

The reviews I have read of the poorer centrifugal vaccuum cleaners
say that they are less effective than the "bag" cleaners.

As for Dyson, it is definitely effective but is one of the most
unreliable and overpriced of vaccuum cleaners.

My Dyson cost me œ2.50 for a new belt and a walk to the
rubbish pile where I first "bought" it.
I amazes me what people throw away, or why anyone would
ask a physics newsgroup if they should save the cost of a
a paper bag. Google HEPA filter.

I was hoping a physics group would know the particle size of glass
fibre dust. I would be interested in having that data.

Also if you know the particle size which a vaccuum bag is designed to
filter then that would be the other data I would like to have.

My vaccuum cleaner does not have a HEPA filter. Are you a vaccuum
cleaner salesman? :-) As a foot note I have copied some Dyson info
for you which may explain why I am not attracted to getting one.

My existing vaccuum cleaner works perfectly well for me but I am not
sure if I should be using it in general to clean my loft.

David

+++++++++++++++++ BEGIN DYSON-OLOGY +++++++++++++++++++++++++

To address your person interest in Dyson, this is copied from the UK
Comsumers Association report in Which? magazine. First they list the
Best Buy models:

Bosch BSG 71810 GB Formula
Bosch BSG 82000GB Ergomaxx
Electrolux ZO 6352 Oxy 3 System
Miele S571 / S210
Miele Xtra Power 2300 / Automatic TT 5000
Miele S4210

---------------------------- QUOTE -----------------------------
"In recent times, the only uprights we’ve found that clean
as well as the Best Buy cylinders have been Dysons. The
Dyson DC14 All Floors and its newest model, the Dyson DC15
(also known as The Ball) did outstandingly well in our
tests. The problem is that Dyson’s reliability is
consistently below average"
---------------------------- UNQUOTE ----------------------------

Also the CA reader survey found:

Upright vacuum cleaners
PER CENT WHO WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND DYSON = 39%
NUMBER OF REPLIES FOR DYSON = 3,652
TOTAL NUMBER OF REPLIES = 7,061

Cylinder vacuum cleaners
PER CENT WHO WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND DYSON = 37%
NUMBER OF REPLIES FOR DYSON = 723
TOTAL NUMBER OF REPLIES = 3,990

Bosch was around 50%, Sebo 68%, Miele 77%, etc.

+++++++++++++++++ END DYSON-OLOGY +++++++++++++++++++++++++
Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Der alte Hexenmeister

wrote:

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I
use the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Bag? Good grief! This is the 21st century, not the 19th.

The reviews I have read of the poorer centrifugal vaccuum cleaners
say that they are less effective than the "bag" cleaners.

As for Dyson, it is definitely effective but is one of the most
unreliable and overpriced of vaccuum cleaners.

My Dyson cost me o2.50 for a new belt and a walk to the
rubbish pile where I first "bought" it.
I amazes me what people throw away, or why anyone would
ask a physics newsgroup if they should save the cost of a
a paper bag. Google HEPA filter.

I was hoping a physics group would know the particle size of glass
fibre dust. I would be interested in having that data.

http://www.cyb-glassfibre.co.uk/grpdoc.htm
"Should you still need help and advice with your Glass Fibre Project you can
now call us direct on:

01268 696094

Also if you know the particle size which a vaccuum bag is designed to
filter then that would be the other data I would like to have.

My vaccuum cleaner does not have a HEPA filter. Are you a vaccuum
cleaner salesman? :-)

No. Now retired, I was a flight simulation engneer.
http://accad.osu.edu/~waynec/history/lesson13.html

I'm one those rare individuals with common sense who does not
read reviews but judges a product by its merits, not the paid-for
opinions of the product's competitors or the manufacturer's
advertising. A celebrity judges beauty queens, an engineer judges
engineering.

The inventor of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle, Arthur Davidson,
died and went to heaven. At the gates, St. Peter told Arthur, "Since
you've been such a good man and your motorcycles have changed
the world, your reward is, you can hang out with anyone you want
in Heaven."
Arthur thought about it for a minute and then said, "I want to hang
out with God."

St. Peter took Arthur to the Throne Room, and introduced him to God.

God recognized Arthur and commented, "Okay, so you were the one
who invented motorcycles, eh?!"

Arthur said, "Yeah, that's me..."

God commented: "Well, what's the big deal in inventing something
that's pretty unstable, makes noise and pollution, and can't run without a
road?!

Arthur was apparently embarrassed, but finally spoke,"Excuse me,
but aren't you the inventor of woman?"

God said, "Ah, yes."

"Well," said Arthur, "professional to professional, you have some
major design flaws in your invention:

1. There's too much inconsistency in the front-end protrusion;
2. It chatters constantly at high speeds;
3. Most of the rear ends are too soft and wobble too much;
4. The intake is placed way too close to the exhaust;
5. And the maintenance costs are outrageous!!"

Hmmmm, you may have some good points there," replied God, "hold on."

God went to his Celestial supercomputer, typed in a few words
and waited for the results. The computer printed out a slip of paper and God
read it.

"Well, it may be true that my invention is flawed," God said to Arthur,"but
according to these numbers, more men are riding my invention
than yours."

As a foot note I have copied some Dyson info
for you which may explain why I am not attracted to getting one.

How kind of you. I shall retain my free Dyson that had a broken belt,
I obtained £15 for my old vacuum cleaner which contributed to
a bottle of Glenlivet.

My existing vaccuum cleaner works perfectly well for me but I am not
sure if I should be using it in general to clean my loft.

David

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
David Peters

wrote:

[...]

Only get an answering machine. Thank you for locating that. The
site does not suggest they concern themselves with loose glass fibre
unless there is resin and hardener to be poured over it.

http://www.cyb-glassfibre.co.uk/price_list_oct05.htm
http://www.cyb-glassfibre.co.uk/safehandling.htm

Also if you know the particle size which a vaccuum bag is
designed to filter then that would be the other data I would
like to have.

My vaccuum cleaner does not have a HEPA filter. Are you a
vaccuum cleaner salesman? :-)

No. Now retired, I was a flight simulation engneer.
http://accad.osu.edu/~waynec/history/lesson13.html

That must have been a very frustrating job. I guess retirement came
as a blessing.

Wouldn't your sort of background better suit one of those poorly
attended newsgroups like comp.simulation or even
microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation ?

I'm one those rare individuals with common sense who does not
read reviews but judges a product by its merits, not the
paid-for opinions of the product's competitors or the
manufacturer's advertising. A celebrity judges beauty queens, an
engineer judges engineering.

"Rare"? Hmmm. It worries me when someone believes themselves as
having a perspicacity that few others in the world possess.

Seems to be a way of saying, "The rest of the world is usually wrong
but I am usually right". All personality disorders have that
characteristic in common. :-(

-- snip --

As a foot note I have copied some Dyson info
for you which may explain why I am not attracted to getting
one.

How kind of you. I shall retain my free Dyson that had a broken
belt,
I obtained œ15 for my old vacuum cleaner which contributed to
a bottle of Glenlivet.

Hey! I suggest you lay of the hard liquor when posting. :-)

Seriously, you can probably see more clearly now why I do not want a
Dyson.

My existing vaccuum cleaner works perfectly well for me but I
am not sure if I should be using it in general to clean my
loft.

David

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Der alte Hexenmeister

wrote:

[...]

I expect the secretarial staff is still on Xmas break.
Did you leave your name and number and explain that your research into
equine pathology as a forensic dermatologist requires that you know the mean
and standard deviation of the diameter of the fibrils drawn, and could the
Quality Control/Assurance Manager of the company please e-mail you a data
sheet?
You can get any information you want if you know how to ask for it, although
they may not be all that helpful to an old vacuum cleaner owner.

Also if you know the particle size which a vaccuum bag is
designed to filter then that would be the other data I would
like to have.

My vaccuum cleaner does not have a HEPA filter. Are you a
vaccuum cleaner salesman? :-)

No. Now retired, I was a flight simulation engneer.
http://accad.osu.edu/~waynec/history/lesson13.html

That must have been a very frustrating job. I guess retirement came
as a blessing.

Biggest video game in the world. Lots of fun, one Saturday afternoon
in 1980 I (and others) flew a B747 between the towers of the World Trade
Centre without crashing. Had to roll the plane 90 degrees, though.
Curiously, that same simulator went down the Road to Basra when the Iraqis
stole it from Kuwait in the first Gulf War.
I also landed a Royal Navy Sea Harrier with the engine flamed out,
the first ever. Those suckers have no wheel brakes, they are supposed
to land vertically, not horizontally. But it was lunch time and I didn't
want
to have to put the ejector seat firing in back in. Pilots can pull it out
and somebody has to put it back. No consideration, some people,
especially the rogue who flamed me out at 30,000 feet and
wouldn't let me relight it from the instructor station. Cost him a
pint, that did. Serves him right, too.

Wouldn't your sort of background better suit one of those poorly
attended newsgroups like comp.simulation or even
microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation ?

Kiddy stuff. I prefer big boys toys.

I'm one those rare individuals with common sense who does not
read reviews but judges a product by its merits, not the
paid-for opinions of the product's competitors or the
manufacturer's advertising. A celebrity judges beauty queens, an
engineer judges engineering.

"Rare"? Hmmm. It worries me when someone believes themselves as
having a perspicacity that few others in the world possess.

Seems to be a way of saying, "The rest of the world is usually wrong
but I am usually right". All personality disorders have that
characteristic in common. :-(

-- snip --

Seems to be a way of saying, "The rest of the world usually follows
the most compelling and persuasive greedy idiot and have no real opinion
of their own, preferring to be sheep and go along with rest to the
slaughter."
Most normal personalities have that characteristic in common, which is
why an entire nation followed Hitler, another followed Stalin and yet
another followed Saddam Hussein.
Do bleat on into your paper barf bag, ewe know better than me.

As a foot note I have copied some Dyson info
for you which may explain why I am not attracted to getting
one.

How kind of you. I shall retain my free Dyson that had a broken
belt,
I obtained o15 for my old vacuum cleaner which contributed to
a bottle of Glenlivet.

Hey! I suggest you lay of the hard liquor when posting. :-)

Seriously, you can probably see more clearly now why I do not want a
Dyson.

Do bleat on into your paper barf bag, I'm sure ewe know better than myself
or tadchem, seriously. Walk in the meadow, eat the same rabbit droppings,
follow the leader. Beaaahhhh, beahhhh. I've got a hill to climb, I like the
view from up here, the old fox can pick out which leg of lamb I want for my
dinner. It goes well in a smooth Glenlivet sauce.

My existing vaccuum cleaner works perfectly well for me but I
am not sure if I should be using it in general to clean my
loft.

He who hesitates shouldn't burn his bridges behind him when he looks before
he leaps, or someone may throw stones at his glass house and he'll be lost.
Der alte Hexenmeister.

Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
David Peters

On Tue 03 Jan 2006 17:25:40, Der alte Hexenmeister
wrote:

He who hesitates shouldn't burn his bridges behind him when he
looks before he leaps, or someone may throw stones at his glass
house and he'll be lost.
Der alte Hexenmeister.

Surreal.

It's like listening to Weizenbaum's ELIZA.

ELIZA has no intelligence at all but gives the vague impression that
it might do.

Onw way to get out of a losing discussion is to confuse others. of
course, nobody is actually impressed. But no onlooker says anything
in case you change your mind and stick around. That would be the
worst outcome for everybody.
Posted to sci.physics,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Der alte Hexenmeister

wrote:

He who hesitates shouldn't burn his bridges behind him when he
looks before he leaps, or someone may throw stones at his glass
house and he'll be lost.
Der alte Hexenmeister.

Surreal.

It's like listening to Weizenbaum's ELIZA.

ELIZA has no intelligence at all but gives the vague impression that
it might do.

Onw way to get out of a losing discussion is to confuse others. of
course, nobody is actually impressed. But no onlooker says anything
in case you change your mind and stick around. That would be the
worst outcome for everybody.

The other way is to snip, which is a ploy muggles often use. Trolls
and muggles are best answered with *plonk*.

Androcles Dumbledore, headmaster, hogwarts.physics.
(der alte Hexenmeister)

Loft insulation David Hearn UK diy 26 November 10th 03 08:17 PM
Boarding a loft & insulation Wordy UK diy 13 November 4th 03 12:50 AM
Loft Insulation - Best Type and Tips for Installation L Reid UK diy 22 October 19th 03 10:26 PM
Electrical wire over or under loft insulation??????? Please help! Laurie UK diy 5 August 25th 03 10:31 PM
Loft insulation Conrad Edwards UK diy 0 August 25th 03 09:57 PM