Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless light switches?

Due to a lack of foresight, the switches for our outside lights on our new
extension aren't where I'd like them now.

Rewiring and resiting the switches would be a major job and I wonder it
there is such a thing and a battery powered wireless remote switch that
could be fitted into a standard switch box (I really don't want a handheld
remote that will get misplaced) which would then control the lights via a
receiver that replaces the existing light switches.

Does such a thing exist?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
Due to a lack of foresight, the switches for our outside lights on
our new extension aren't where I'd like them now.

Rewiring and resiting the switches would be a major job and I wonder
it there is such a thing and a battery powered wireless remote switch
that could be fitted into a standard switch box (I really don't want
a handheld remote that will get misplaced) which would then control
the lights via a receiver that replaces the existing light switches.

Does such a thing exist?

Not quite, they do not have batteries as they are powered by the energy used
to press the switch

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/prod...s/default.aspx

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:44:22 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

Tim Downie wrote:
Due to a lack of foresight, the switches for our outside lights on
our new extension aren't where I'd like them now.

Rewiring and resiting the switches would be a major job and I wonder
it there is such a thing and a battery powered wireless remote switch
that could be fitted into a standard switch box (I really don't want
a handheld remote that will get misplaced) which would then control
the lights via a receiver that replaces the existing light switches.

Does such a thing exist?

Not quite, they do not have batteries as they are powered by the energy used
to press the switch

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/prod...s/default.aspx

That's OK, but wouldn't work if the mains was off.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 2:44 pm, PeterC wrote:

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/prod...s/default.aspx

That's OK, but wouldn't work if the mains was off.

no sh1t sherlock ;))))

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 1:44 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
Due to a lack of foresight, the switches for our outside lights on
our new extension aren't where I'd like them now.

Rewiring and resiting the switches would be a major job and I wonder
it there is such a thing and a battery powered wireless remote switch
that could be fitted into a standard switch box (I really don't want
a handheld remote that will get misplaced) which would then control
the lights via a receiver that replaces the existing light switches.

Does such a thing exist?

Not quite, they do not have batteries as they are powered by the energy used
to press the switch

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/prod...s/default.aspx

mmm tasty pricing too !!

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
Due to a lack of foresight, the switches for our outside lights on our new
extension aren't where I'd like them now.

Rewiring and resiting the switches would be a major job and I wonder it
there is such a thing and a battery powered wireless remote switch that
could be fitted into a standard switch box (I really don't want a handheld
remote that will get misplaced) which would then control the lights via a
receiver that replaces the existing light switches.

Does such a thing exist?

Something like:

http://www.homeeasy.eu/RemoteControl...89/Product/46/

http://preview.tinyurl.com/36lxqet

together with one of:

http://www.homeeasy.eu/RemoteControl...90/Product/59/

http://tinyurl.com/5ugjftu

B&Q used to sell them (and loads of other variations). Dunno if they still
do.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
[...]

Cheers. That looks like just what I'm after.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 4:12 pm, "Tim Downie" wrote:
D.M.Chapman wrote:

http://www.homeeasy.eu/RemoteControl...te/HE307/189/P...

http://www.homeeasy.eu/RemoteControl...03/190/Product...

http://tinyurl.com/5ugjftu

B&Q used to sell them (and loads of other variations). Dunno if they
still do.

Darren

Cheers. That looks like just what I'm after.

Tim

watch out for the
"Max Wattage Resistive Load 210W"

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth ) wibbled on Sunday 23 January
2011 13:44:

Tim Downie wrote:
Due to a lack of foresight, the switches for our outside lights on
our new extension aren't where I'd like them now.

Rewiring and resiting the switches would be a major job and I wonder
it there is such a thing and a battery powered wireless remote switch
that could be fitted into a standard switch box (I really don't want
a handheld remote that will get misplaced) which would then control
the lights via a receiver that replaces the existing light switches.

Does such a thing exist?

Not quite, they do not have batteries as they are powered by the energy
used to press the switch

"Harvesting ambient energy" they say - wonder if they are scavanging a bit
of EM from the rest of the wiring?

Either that or it's sucking the Earth's Aura and Guiya is going to get
mighty ****ed ;-

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/prod...s/default.aspx

Now you can really sort out people who don't pay you on time - turn all
their lights on at 4am ;-

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie :
Due to a lack of foresight, the switches for our outside lights on our
new extension aren't where I'd like them now.

Rewiring and resiting the switches would be a major job and I wonder it
there is such a thing and a battery powered wireless remote switch that
could be fitted into a standard switch box (I really don't want a
handheld remote that will get misplaced) which would then control the
lights via a receiver that replaces the existing light switches.

Does such a thing exist?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...tch/index.html

Not quite what you're asking for because the receivers are bulky but you
might be able to fit one out of sight somewhere. The transmitter will
fit in a (deep) box or you can just dangle it in a cavity if there is
one. You can use a switch that exactly matches your existing switches,
or even (as I have) use one half of a two gang switch where the other
half is wired conventionally.

I've had a couple installed for I guess about five years now. They've
worked well and I'm still on the original batteries.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 3:02*pm, dmc@puffin. (D.M.Chapman) wrote:

[..Homeeasy...]

B&Q used to sell them (and loads of other variations). Dunno if they still
do.

They seem to have stopped stocking the range now however over the past
couple of months I've seen them selling off what stock they did have
for silly money so it's worth checking out some of the local stores
for them (note: they're in the electrical aisle, not lighting).

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Jan 23, 1:44 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
Due to a lack of foresight, the switches for our outside lights on
our new extension aren't where I'd like them now.

Rewiring and resiting the switches would be a major job and I wonder
it there is such a thing and a battery powered wireless remote
switch that could be fitted into a standard switch box (I really
don't want a handheld remote that will get misplaced) which would
then control the lights via a receiver that replaces the existing
light switches.

Does such a thing exist?

Not quite, they do not have batteries as they are powered by the
energy used to press the switch

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/prod...s/default.aspx

mmm tasty pricing too !!

mk. Need I say more.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 4:12*pm, "Tim Downie" wrote:
D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
[...]

I've got a set, works fine. First set I bought I did manage to blow
up though by wiring incorrectly!!

I think the one I do have switches a bog standard incandescent bulb,
not sure how effective it would be in an "energy saver" as the radio
transmitter needs to be permanently wired in line with a current
flowing to the light bulb.

Not cheap, but certainly miles better than chasing out the walls would
have been for me. Got mine from B&Q about 2 years ago, had no issues
with it.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:
On Jan 23, 4:12 pm, "Tim Downie" wrote:
D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
[...]

Too soon to praise the product but full marks to the company for their
customer support. I phoned their support line and it was answered within 2
rings and I found myself talking to a very helpful chap who was able to tell
me which units I needed to switch CFL bulbs and which dealer had the best
prices for their product at the moment.

Fingers crossed that they work as hoped!

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:
On Jan 23, 4:12 pm, "Tim Downie" wrote:
D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
[...]

Now BTDTGTTS. Should have read the instructions more closely! I dunno why
but I got it into my head that it was a simple switching relay (I was told I
needed the HE 304 as I was using CFLs) but of course this model actually
povides the power supply. Wiring it into a lighting circuit with an
existing live feed wasn't too clever.

Once replaced (and wired correctly) it works perfectly and I'm very happy
with them. I would certainly use them again in similar circumstances.

Tim

Light switches gcotterl Home Repair 23 November 7th 09 03:49 PM
wireless eetra light light switch + so,e persomal stuff y don'trea;;y want to knoww! tonyjeffs[_2_] UK diy 0 October 18th 09 05:23 AM
Light switches Dave UK diy 7 September 16th 07 10:30 PM
Swapping light switches sam UK diy 3 September 1st 05 11:13 PM
Wireless light switches Simon Pawson UK diy 4 November 27th 04 09:44 PM