Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roof leak - any advice?

I just happened to look up at the globe light in our bathroom last
night, and noticed that it was half-full

Outside
=======
From outside this morning, with the aid of binoculars, I cannot see any
tiles missing or slipped.

It's *conceivable* that the water got in yonks ago, and I've only just
noticed it: about 6 months ago I did notice a tile that had slipped,
on this line in the roof; I shoved it back into place with a long pole,
and it's still properly aligned with all other tiles.

Prognosis?
==========
I don't yet know how bad this is: next time it rains heavily I'll be up
in the loft looking. The water in the light may have been there for --
ooh - weeks? months?

However the rafter concerned is damp and has a slight case of wet rot
where the wood meets the roof felting -- mostly it feels sound, if damp.

Remedies?
=========

I'm proposing to spray the rafter with Thompson's Water Seal: it's all I
can think of doing so far! Apart from looking for a leak, next time it
rains heavily.

History
=======

This is a 1962-built house, far from being a Rolls-Royce build, but not
jerry-built either. The tiles are concrete. The roof is orientated
exactly East-West, and the leak is on the North side, which is quite
heavily mossed.

Any general advice, or experiences, that anyone can offer?

Cheers
John

roof leak coloradotrout Home Repair 79 November 14th 09 05:15 AM
Leak in caravan roof Breaker 291 UK diy 7 April 3rd 08 04:20 PM
Odd leak on the roof Rod Home Ownership 0 June 3rd 07 05:33 AM
I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leak should leak. Daniel Cullpeppper Home Repair 10 April 30th 06 04:16 AM
my roof leak Ben Gold Home Repair 1 April 4th 05 12:27 PM