Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leak in caravan roof

HI All,
I have a leakin my van roof which seems to be hard to fix , A
friend told me of a paint like substance to paint over the entire
roof, and its 100% but he cannot think of the name , the trade name
may be simailar from anywhere in the world , I live in the country
(Remote Australia ) so I have had no secess tracking it down ,

PLEESE any HELP
Lural from down under
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a leakin my van roof which seems to be hard to fix , A
friend told me of a paint like substance to paint over the entire
roof, and its 100% but he cannot think of the name , the trade name
may be simailar from anywhere in the world , I live in the country
(Remote Australia ) so I have had no secess tracking it down ,

Not sure whether you'd be able to get it over there, but try a search
for EPDB rubber... Might (ok, will) look like crap unless you can find
a way to make it look neat, but it should be pretty effective :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Breaker 291 wrote:
HI All,
I have a leakin my van roof which seems to be hard to fix , A
friend told me of a paint like substance to paint over the entire
roof, and its 100% but he cannot think of the name , the trade name
may be simailar from anywhere in the world , I live in the country
(Remote Australia ) so I have had no secess tracking it down ,

PLEESE any HELP
Lural from down under

Leaks are easy to FIX, they are just bloody hard to FIND.

I had one on our camper.

I looked like a teeny bit of mastic had fallen out of a window frame.
Didn't seem to be enough to account for the leak, but I filled it with
decorators caulk, and no more water has come in.

Suggest you go over every single joint in the van, and remake any
suspect ones with a mastic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Breaker 291 wrote:

HI All,
I have a leakin my van roof which seems to be hard to fix , A
friend told me of a paint like substance to paint over the entire
roof, and its 100% but he cannot think of the name , the trade name
may be simailar from anywhere in the world , I live in the country
(Remote Australia ) so I have had no secess tracking it down ,

PLEESE any HELP
Lural from down under

What is the roof make of - is it fibreglass or sheet aluminium? If the
latter, the leak will almost certainly be in one of the joints - in which
case it is necessary to remove the trim strip which covers the joint and
re-pack it with non-drying mastic. That would be better than painting
something over the whole roof.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

i find aluminium caravans roofs
always leak every year
because of the heat of the sun
expanding and contracting the joints..
i just scrape them out with a blunt chisel
and paint with any old paint...

--

[george]

~ [g] ~
~ ~
~ 07970 378 572 ~
~
www.dicegeorge.com ~
~ (c)2008 ~
~ ~

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Breaker 291 wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
i find aluminium caravans roofs
always leak every year
because of the heat of the sun
expanding and contracting the joints..
i just scrape them out with a blunt chisel
and paint with any old paint...

Our two caravans are aluminium, one a 1960s and the other from the 1970s.

Their roofs have never leaked.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Apr, 05:38, Breaker 291 wrote:

I have a leakin my van roof which seems to be hard to fix ,

The van roof panels don't usually leak (barring impact damage), the
_seams_ in the van roof leak.

If you go to a yacht chandlers, there's something called "Captain
Barnacle's patent leak cure" (Captain Tolley? Something like that).
This is a runny goop that soaks into thin seams or crazed fibreglass,
then sets. Not cheap, but you don't need much to do the seams with a
thin brush and it does work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 3, 12:45*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:

If you go to a yacht chandlers, there's something called "Captain
Barnacle's patent leak cure" (Captain Tolley? Something like that).
This is a runny goop that soaks into thin seams or crazed fibreglass,
then sets. Not cheap, but you don't need much to *do the seams with a
thin brush and it does work.

Weatherproof PVA might work just as well.

cheers,
Pete.