Senior Member

Default Are window frames included in Outside decoration

I am decorating the outside of my house in London. Walls, windows, doors etc.

The decorator is not painting the areas covered by the wooden window and door frames.

To clarify, these areas are the rectangular strips around the wooden frames of doors and windows that are not seen when the doors and windows are shut.

These areas are of the same colour as the outside paint and should be painted with the same paint.

Are they not supposed to paint them as well? Is there a standard understanding?

An interior decoration, done earlier, did not treat those areas either, and it would be very messy to just do those strips at a later stage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"asalcedo" wrote in message

I am decorating the outside of my house in London. Walls, windows, doors
etc.

The decorator is not painting the areas covered by the wooden window and
door frames.

To clarify, these areas are the rectangular strips around the wooden
frames of doors and windows that are not seen when the doors and windows
are shut.

These areas are of the same colour as the outside paint and should be
painted with the same paint.

Are they not supposed to paint them as well? Is there a standard
understanding?

An interior decoration, done earlier, did not treat those areas either,
and it would be very messy to just do those strips at a later stage.

Well assuming that you have engaged this decorator yourself, surely this is
down to your own negotiation (and at the appropriate cost)

But the reason why an outside decorator will be used to this area not being
included in his quote is because when he works on "multiply owned"
properties the standard contract will be not to do them, as to do so
requires each householder to arrange to open their doors/windows on the due
date and organising that is normally impossible.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
I am decorating the outside of my house in London. Walls, windows,
doors etc.

The decorator is not painting the areas covered by the wooden window
and door frames.

To clarify, these areas are the rectangular strips around the wooden
frames of doors and windows that are not seen when the doors and
windows are shut.

These areas are of the same colour as the outside paint and should be
painted with the same paint.

Are they not supposed to paint them as well? Is there a standard
understanding?

An interior decoration, done earlier, did not treat those areas
either, and it would be very messy to just do those strips at a later
stage.

*NOTE* the following appplies to external decoration only, procedures will
differ for internal decoration on a room-by-room basis.

If the windows/doors open outwards, then the decorator should paint the
exposed rebates as part of the external decorating operation, and include
the cost of that in his estimate/quotation for the work.

If the doors/windows [1] open inwards, then only the exposed external timber
is painted and the rebates are left untouched.

Remember though, that to paint rebates, windows and doors must be left open
for this to take place - but there are some 'lazy' decorators who will
gladly paint these when they are closed with the obvious effect...

[1] Most external house doors open inwards - but shed doors can open both
ways and usually the door and frames are then painted on 'all' exposed
surfaces (external and internal) including outhouse winddwos.

Cash

Senior Member

Hello Cash,

Thank you for your quite helpful insight.

Is this part of any written code of conduct or regulation that I can show to my decorator?

All my windows open outwards. And the rebates are painted the same colour as the outside parts.

Most of my doors open inwards but one does open outwards as well.

Thanks,

Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash View Post
asalcedo wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , asalcedo
writes

Thank you for your quite helpful insight.

Is this part of any written code of conduct or regulation that I can
show to my decorator?

No, I don't imagine so, remember, thee are no regulations governing
decorating - anyone can call themselves a decorator, though they maybe
members of a trade body.

But it's accepted practice (have a look in any sort of DIY manual etc.,
you will see such a description). It's certainly what I would expect if
I engaged a decorator.

Frankly, anyone who just painted over the closed windows I would
consider a cowboy.

I think you need to speak to the decorator and tell him what you
expected done.

Was there a written quotation or was this verbal?

IIME you do need to clarify exactly what is being done and how on a
job., to save confusion later. Some will take a mile given a inch, in
other occasion there can just be differing expectations between the
tradesman and the customer over what is to be done.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
Hello Cash,

Thank you for your quite helpful insight.

Is this part of any written code of conduct or regulation that I can
show to my decorator?

All my windows open outwards. And the rebates are painted the same
colour as the outside parts.

Most of my doors open inwards but one does open outwards as well.

Thanks,

Antonio

Snipped

Antonio,

Unfortunately there is no actual written regulation - it is just a
recognised standard practice (this possible could be construed as a Code of
Conduct) that is drummed into all bona-fide, qualified painters and
decorators (who are [or were] usually time served) - and is usually noted in
the relevant trade text books and manuals they use.

It is also standard practice when specifications, contracts and bills of
quantities are drawn up by architects quantity surveyors etc at a
pre-contract stage.

I would suggest you have a word with the decorator and tell him that under
normal practice, all doors and windows (if they have opening sashes) are
painted when open - and in your case, all of the window rebates should be
painted, along with the rebates of the one door that opens outwards.

If he refuses to do these, then in my opinion, it would be reasonable to
withhold a sufficient amount of payment to get the job completed by another
contractor [1 and 2].

[1] That is if another contractor is actually prepared to undertake such
rectification works - in my experience, these will be very few, if any.

[2] If you take this route, be prepared for a lot of aggravation which it
may end up in the small claims court if things turn really nasty - so gather
as much evidence as possible, both documentary and photographic (take photos
of all the suspected defective works and put the dates they were taken on
the backs of them along with their location) and make a note of any verbal
instructions, agreements and rejections that have been made between you and
the decorator (giving time, dates and any witnesses present).

This is about all the advice that I can give for now, but others may offer
more that would help.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Nov, 10:11, asalcedo wrote:
Thank you Cash.

Using the inputs here I will try to convince the decorator to do it.

Regards,

Antonio

Cash

--

I have just had the upstairs windows done, and they were done with the
windows closed even though I asked when did he want them opened. When

John

Rotting Window Frames Peter H Home Repair 27 November 21st 09 10:13 PM
Painting window frames R D S UK diy 6 May 21st 08 11:48 AM
Mold in window frames John Home Repair 4 November 30th 05 09:01 PM
UPVC Window frames Ian Cornish UK diy 4 August 20th 05 10:00 AM
Fixing to PVA window frames Roly UK diy 12 March 23rd 04 09:37 AM