Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker hood bulbs

....is there anything special about them?

I recently replaced two 40W tubular bulbs (e.g.
http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/publis...AR40SESCLR.jpg)
with two 25W pygmy bulbs (e.g. http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/publis...ESCLR240GE.jpg)
in order to lower the light output somewhat.

However two months on and one bulb has already blown and the other is
slightly blackened. The bulbs were Osram branded so one assumes it is
not a quality issue.

I know one aspect of oven bulb design is that they are rated to
300degC however is this a requirement for cooker hood bulbs also?
Presumably it is the vibration in a cooker hood that is the main
threat? Are oven bulbs designed with more resilience to vibration
also?

Looking around it seems that 40W is the standard for cooker hoods
however plenty of oven bulbs come in 25W so perhaps they're my best
bet or did I just have a couple of dodgy bulbs?

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
[...]

Curious that. Years ago I replaced the two pukka cooker type bulbs in our
cooker hood with bog standard candle bulbs which were all I had handy at the
time.. They have never had to be replaced since so I don't think there can
be a heat problem.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 2, 9:24*pm, "Tinkerer"
wrote:

Curious that. * Years ago I replaced the two pukka cooker type bulbs in our
cooker hood with bog standard candle bulbs which were all I had handy at the
time.. * They have never had to be replaced since so I don't think there can
be a heat problem.

I think it's more of a vibration issue - looking at the filament when
in use I can see it wobbling a fair bit.

Typical, since posting my query I've found loads of sources for 25W
cooker hood bulbs - the tubular type - so I may give them a try and
see if I have more luck.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

We have always used standard bulbs. It never occurred to me to do anything
else! The bulbs are behind (i.e. above) some clear plastic.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I recently replaced two 40W tubular bulbs (e.g.http://www.thelightbulb.co..uk/publi...UBULAR40SESCLR...)
with two 25W pygmy bulbs (e.g.http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/publis...YGMY25SESCLR24...)
in order to lower the light output somewhat.

However two months on and one bulb has already blown and the other is
slightly blackened. The bulbs were Osram branded so one assumes it is
not a quality issue.

I know one aspect of oven bulb design is that they are rated to
300degC however is this a requirement for cooker hood bulbs also?
Presumably it is the vibration in a cooker hood that is the main
threat? Are oven bulbs designed with more resilience to vibration
also?

Looking around it seems that 40W is the standard for cooker hoods
however plenty of oven bulbs come in 25W so perhaps they're my best
bet or did I just have a couple of dodgy bulbs?

Mathew

Bog standard bulbs are ok, but 25w 240v bulbs are a bit fragile.
Better to use CFLs here imho.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Nov, 01:37, Tabby wrote:

Bog standard bulbs are ok, but 25w 240v bulbs are a bit fragile.

Ah, that's a good point. I hadn't considered that the smaller filament
size of the 25W could be to blame. I'll see how I get on with the
'cooker hood' variety - indeed when they arrive I'll compare how the
filament looks compared with my failed pygmys.

Better to use CFLs here imho.

I hadn't considered them to be honest - I might have a look at some as
these lights do tend to remain on for a while as we tend to use them
as part of the general kitchen lighting.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 3, 9:19*am, Mathew Newton wrote:
On 3 Nov, 01:37, Tabby wrote:

Bog standard bulbs are ok, but 25w 240v bulbs are a bit fragile.

Ah, that's a good point. I hadn't considered that the smaller filament
size of the 25W could be to blame. I'll see how I get on with the
'cooker hood' variety - indeed when they arrive I'll compare how the
filament looks compared with my failed pygmys.

They'll either be the same or have more filament supports. I wouldnt
bother with them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Nov, 10:13, Tabby wrote:

They'll either be the same or have more filament supports. I wouldnt
bother with them.

Too late! ;-)

If nothing else, the tubular shape with its longer filament may offer
some lighting benefit over the squatter pygmy globe?

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:37:58 -0700 (PDT), Tabby
wrote:

Bog standard bulbs are ok, but 25w 240v bulbs are a bit fragile.
Better to use CFLs here imho.

We use CFLs in our cooker hood. Horrid unbranded ones that take
forever to light but apart from that, vibration and heat have not been
a problem.

HTH,
Stephen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 03:31:11 -0700 (PDT), Mathew Newton
wrote:

If nothing else, the tubular shape with its longer filament may offer
some lighting benefit over the squatter pygmy globe?

I forgot to say, the CFLs we use are candle ones. I suppose they are
long like cooker hood bulbs but I suspect they are "normal" CFL bulbs
inside with just a candle shaped lens on top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If nothing else, the tubular shape with its longer filament may offer
some lighting benefit over the squatter pygmy globe?

I forgot to say, the CFLs we use are candle ones. I suppose they are
long like cooker hood bulbs but I suspect they are "normal" CFL bulbs
inside with just a candle shaped lens on top.

I started using CFLs in the kitchen hood last week. I was truly annoyed
at the cost so never really bothered, but found 2 40W equivalents (9W)
at Homebase for 40p, so gave them a try. As the light was passable for
the application, I then shelled out for the Megaman 9W, on account of
the fact that they have no mercury. Worse light quality than the
Homebase ultra-cheaps, but they will do.

I also bought a 5W B&Q candle for a hall fancy-light; SWMBO deemed the
9W too bright (and I have to say I agree).

So, for some uses, I find them to be passable, esp. at the right price.
I hope LEDs come down at some point too; I have loads of dimmed GU10s
and R50s.

Cheers,

Kostas

Cooker hood Stephen[_11_] UK diy 1 April 28th 10 10:59 AM
Cooker hood! [email protected] UK diy 12 September 8th 06 05:46 PM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 11:28 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM