Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker hood

Hi,

Having never bought or fitted one I am now in need of doing this.

There is one on there now its this one item number: 290427593397 on ebay

There is a 4 inch diameter ducting hole on the top of the cooker hood that a
pipe connects onto. So I guess I need a cooker hood with the same design ?
The ducting goes up into the lost with some flexi hose and to an exit on the
side of the flat. (top floors flat with attic)

My budget is no more than about £130.

The fitting looks simple as it looks like just 2 screws that hold it up and
the plug goes into a socket up on the wall.

One question is some years ago it came slightly lose and I had to drill a
hole, not sure if I used the right fitting .. I used abrown rawl plug. The
wall is odd, its a plasterboard from then theres some kind of gap and then
theres like a solid brick or something similar ? behind that wall is the
front room. What kind of fitting should I have used to hold the extractor up
?

Thanks for any advice, I'm not the best at these things but once I know what
I'm doing I do ok lol.

Thanks all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
[...]

You need to do your research first. Contact the seller and find out what
the make and model is. Use this information to to find out how much they
cost new. This will allow you to determine a sensible bidding limit (and
maybe download the user manual with fixing instructions).

If the seller can't/won't supply this then walk away.

As a reference point I am supplying a link to a cooker hood on the
Wickes website, it costs £72 new in the box with full instructions and
warranty.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Traditional-...od/invt/312102

Is it really worth bidding on an unknown product?

Reading further, I am confused as you say that you have never bought or
fitted one yet you also say
"some years ago it came slightly lose and I had to drill a hole"

My cooker hood is 90cm wide and weighs about 8KG. It is fixed to the
wall using two screws which should be about 50mm long. The head of the
screws only project slightly beyond the surface of the solid wall to
allow the hood to be hung over them and then tightened against the wall.
If you use screws that project significantly from the solid wall and
effectively have the hood hanging from the end of them then there will
be a tendency for the weight of the hood to pull the screws down and
possibly out of the wall.

Hope that helps.

Cooker hood! [email protected] UK diy 12 September 8th 06 06:46 PM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 12:28 PM
Replacement cooker hood and gas hob [email protected] UK diy 4 January 9th 06 12:36 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 07:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 11:48 PM