Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fitting toilet with concealed connection

I will soon have to fit a back-to-wall toilet pan where the connection
is straight into the floor and completely concealed by the pan
surround when pushed back to the wall.
What is the trick to get the pan connector onto the spigot and down
into the soil pipe connection whilst the thing is getting closer and
closer to the wall? Seems it would be a bit tricky to me.
Its also got the L shaped brackets that are bolted from the side.
Oh what fun !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote

I will soon have to fit a back-to-wall toilet pan where the connection
is straight into the floor and completely concealed by the pan
surround when pushed back to the wall.
What is the trick to get the pan connector onto the spigot and down
into the soil pipe connection whilst the thing is getting closer and
closer to the wall? Seems it would be a bit tricky to me.
Its also got the L shaped brackets that are bolted from the side.
Oh what fun !
Simon.

Hi Simon

I think I did exactly this with a Laufen Pro in my downstairs bog!
Laid the pan on its side on some old carpet.
Fitted the right angle pan connector onto the toilet spigot outlet so I was
happy it was properly engaged.
Carefully lifted the pan and rotated upright, then lowered the pan to engage
the finned section of the pan connector in the floor drain.
Obviously you need to get the correct pan connector such that with the pan
against the wall, the connector vertical finned section aligns correctly and
isn't forced off the pan spigot during the fitting operation IYSWIM.
Is the pan actually against a wall, or does it back on to some form of
cabinet/boxwork?
If the latter, then you may be able to leave a decent hole in the back panel
to allow inspection or "feel" to check the position of the pan connector and
the seal of the flush pipe (this hole being covered by the rear of the pan).
I managed this by making the panelling behind the pan sectional. Removing a
centre panel just above the pan allows some limited access for leak checking
and overhaul of the cistern.

HTH

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I will soon have to fit a back-to-wall toilet pan where the connection
is straight into the floor and completely concealed by the pan
surround when pushed back to the wall.
What is the trick to get the pan connector onto the spigot and down
into the soil pipe connection whilst the thing is getting closer and
closer to the wall? Seems it would be a bit tricky to me.
Its also got the L shaped brackets that are bolted from the side.
Oh what fun !
Simon.

I got a piece of metal strip and cut it so that it formed a collar
around the connector, joined at the top with a bolt. From here a second
piece went back to the wall. Very quick to make and guarantees that the
connector stays in place as you push back or pull forward (for when you
need to remove the loo for some reason).

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Oct, 17:14, NoSpam wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I will soon have to fit a back-to-wall toilet pan where the connection
is straight into the floor and completely concealed by the pan
surround when pushed back to the wall.
What is the trick to get the pan connector onto the spigot and down
into the soil pipe connection whilst the thing is getting closer and
closer to the wall? Seems it would be a bit tricky to me.
Its also got the L shaped brackets that are bolted from the side.
Oh what fun !
Simon.

I got a piece of metal strip and cut it so that it formed a collar
around the connector, joined at the top with a bolt. From here a second
piece went back to the wall. Very quick to make and guarantees that the
connector stays in place as you push back or pull forward (for when you
need to remove the loo for some reason).

Dave

Now thats a good idea. Fix the connector in place by some means so its
like a fixed pipe coming out of a wall.
I'll do something like that.
Cheers,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Oct, 17:11, "TheScullster" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote

[...]

Its actually backing onto a wall of the understairs cupboard. I'll
also need to engage a flush pipe through the wall, so I suspect I'll
make an small access hole for this, through which I'll just be able to
see what is going on.
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On 27 Oct, 17:14, NoSpam wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Could you make use of a boiler flue bracket?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 9:29 am, sm_jamieson wrote:
On 27 Oct, 17:14, NoSpam wrote:

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

that's how those "back to the wall bog" mounting frames get around the
same issue - fix the positionof the flush and waste pipe connectors..

Jim K