Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what size fitting for sink toilet connection

I am changing bath sink faucet and toilet. I am confused what I need
for connection hose. The old faucet has two copper tubings 6" coming
down, seems to be 1/4", with two male fittings ( cannot determine
size, may be 5/8 On the wall, it has old type on-off-valve with
aluminum tubing welded on, with female nut that fit into 7/8 wrench.
I now had already gotten a new faucet with 1/2 plastic tube coming
down about 3". I can get metal braised steel flex connection hose 1/2
FIT on faucet end. What do I need on bottom end , and what fitting
male to male do I need in addition?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Philip5malin wrote:
I am changing bath sink faucet and toilet. I am confused what I need
for connection hose. The old faucet has two copper tubings 6" coming
down, seems to be 1/4", with two male fittings ( cannot determine
size, may be 5/8 On the wall, it has old type on-off-valve with
aluminum tubing welded on,

Aluminum tubing? Welded on?
______________

with female nut that fit into 7/8 wrench.
I now had already gotten a new faucet with 1/2 plastic tube coming
down about 3". I can get metal braised steel flex connection hose 1/2
FIT on faucet end. What do I need on bottom end , and what fitting
male to male do I need in addition?

Since your old faucet used metal tube, it probably had compression fittings
on each end and those were squished when tightening the nuts so that you got
a water tight seal.

I really can't tell from your description what you have so my best advise is
to call a plumber. Either that or haul the whole works off to a plumbing
store and let them sell you what you need.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

The on-off-valve is an old type, probably used in 1965, chrome color
with a welded chrome flex tube 6" up. It may not be aluminum, may be
chromed plated copper flexible , with ribs on it all the way , allow
it to flex. The end of it has a compression female fitting. You
cannot find these anymore. The new on-off-valve just have a
compression fitting for you to install a steel braised flex hose on
it. I cannot tell whether the female fitting is 5/8 or 1/2, too
small a close call. How can I tell?

*****************
On Jul 25, 4:56*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Philip5malin wrote:
[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Philip5malin wrote:
The on-off-valve is an old type, probably used in 1965, chrome color
with a welded chrome flex tube 6" up. It may not be aluminum, may be
chromed plated copper flexible , with ribs on it all the way , allow
it to flex. The end of it has a compression female fitting. You
cannot find these anymore. The new on-off-valve just have a
compression fitting for you to install a steel braised flex hose on
it. I cannot tell whether the female fitting is 5/8 or 1/2, too
small a close call. How can I tell?

Take a picture and post it somewhere--this makes very little sense.

I've been around since well before '65 ( ) and _never_ seen a welded
tube on a cutoff valve...

You're trying to measure the wrong thing anyway, it seems--the fittings
will be for whatever tubing size is, not the threaded portion of the
fitting.

Why not simply replace the valve as well if it really is something unique?

But, give a picture for folks to look at and I'd say odds are good
you'll get answers. Or, as somebody else said, take the pieces-parts to
a plumbing supply house other than the borg and they're bound to fix you
up as well...

In regards to the latter, the borgs/Ace/etc. basically only carry common
stock that turns over rapidly. The plumbing supply folks will still
have stuff for the no-longer-common if indeed that's the case w/ what
you have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

standard 3/8 chromed supply tube. readily available at any
plumbing store, not available at box stores.

Easiest for you to use: the braided line from the box store. You
can buy the chromed supply tubes, use 3/8 soft copper, or poly
lines.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .