Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default newbie cooker Q

Hi, first post, please be gentle.
I have a gas hob and electric fan oven improbperly installed and want to
know the chepest option to get a proper set up. The options are to get the
current set up corrected or to purchase a stand alone gas cooker and sell
the oven and hob.
a) To correct : The hob is connected by a hose and this would have to be
replaced by a fixed pipe, the oven is far too deep for the work surface and
protrudes by a few inches (with the hose running behind it) - so I'm
assuming some wood work would have to be done in order to make it OK. Is it
OK for it to prodtrude like this ? Gas and electrical points are on the back
wall down low. hob has electric ignitition and this I guess would have to go
to the same point as the cooker.
b) To replace : buy a free standing gas cooker and sell the other two. DIY
the installation. I'm just concerned about the routing of the hose - is
there a recess in the back of these cookers to allow them to be pushed
against the wall over the supply bayonet socket or is this likely to be a
problem aswell ? Is the installation of a free standing cooker generally a
strait forward task or are there often complications.
I live in a housing assocation property in wales and contractors will often
'rig' it so that what would normally be strait forward becomes more
complicated in order to generate more work.
Any advice on the best way to go grately appreciated.
Cheers.
Bruce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"anern" wrote in
:

[...]

It is permitted for the hob to be connected by the flexible hose
provided that the manufactures instructions DO NOT say otherwise.
Check these out, it could save you a lot of bother.

You need to be competant to do gas fitting for yourself.

If your worktop has been cut down narrower then you would probably
find it difficult to find an oven that will fit properly.

If the worktop ok then I would fit an oven of the correct size, it
would look a bodge trying to fit woodwork to the front (unless your'e
a joiner of course).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
I live in a housing assocation property in wales and contractors
will often 'rig' it so that what would normally be strait forward
becomes more complicated in order to generate more work.

I presume you need permission from the owners as well before making
changes like this?

It may be that the owners should be providing a gas safety certificate. It
is up to the OP to find that out. It would at least prove that the existing
installation is safe.

--
Adam

gas cooker Rocket Ron UK diy 6 January 30th 06 05:17 PM
UK cooker to NL Rod UK diy 4 November 6th 05 03:36 PM
Gas cooker cut-off ? Ziggy UK diy 8 September 13th 04 10:13 AM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM
Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 10:28 PM