Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Default IC-based power amps Maplin "50W HiFi"

On 1 Oct, 20:07, Dave Osborne wrote:

I recently came across this (it's been around for ten years, but passed
me by):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainclone

Says it all really. HiFi as a concept is pretty dead for me. Almost
everything audio sounds 'good enough' these days (if used in an
appropriate context, natch).

There's a very interesting design in 'Elektor' magazine this month,
for a power amplifier using lots of op-amps in parallel, by Douglas
Self. Seems a very good idea, I haven't heard of it before, with
advantages including no heatsinks and their asociated assembly
difficulties, because the dissipation is divided among the chips, 32
of them in this case, fully protected against short circuits, due to
the self-protecting nature of each op-amp, amplifiers can be
paralleled to work into a lower load impedance, as each op-amp has a 1-
ohm resistor at it's output, these are all effectively in parallel to
give a very low source impedance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin "50W HiFi" amplifier module instructions.

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:15:28 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

I also have a pair of Spendor BC1s that I'm not using but can't

bear to
part with.

Another very good English designed speaker)..

Good for speech not quite so nice in music.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:15:28 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

I also have a pair of Spendor BC1s that I'm not using but can't

bear to
part with.

Another very good English designed speaker)..

Good for speech not quite so nice in music.

In what way?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/10/2010 8:36 p.m., Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:15:28 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

I also have a pair of Spendor BC1s that I'm not using but can't

bear to
part with.

Another very good English designed speaker)..

Good for speech not quite so nice in music.

The voice is just another instrument, isn't it? What sort of music are you
thinking of?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:15:39 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Another very good English designed speaker)..

Good for speech not quite so nice in music.

In what way?..

Bit "light" and don't go particulary loud, I liked LS5/8's.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
On 5/10/2010 8:36 p.m., Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:15:28 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

I also have a pair of Spendor BC1s that I'm not using but can't

bear to
part with.

Another very good English designed speaker)..

Good for speech not quite so nice in music.

The voice is just another instrument, isn't it? What sort of music are
you thinking of?

Ah well, the voice is. Lots of voices aint.

Also lots of any instrument.

If one instrument sounds good, that means nothing.

If you can actually pick out individual voices or instruments in a
chorus or orchestra,, you have bloody low intermodulation products in
the speakers.

Best there are Quad ELS, then horn loudspeakers IME. I've heard some
lovely PA style horns that serious money was spent on. JBL used to be
very good.

Price you pay is tendency towards colouration. so the single instrument
may sound tainted..

Actually rock music is easiest to get right. Few instruments - just
needs decent bass, but no transmission lines please. They muddy bass
drums awfully. IB or bass reflex better, or best 20 ft concrete horns.

Same for jazz. Nothing special required.

Hardest is really full orchestra or full chorus - not opera. There you
want both low colouration and low distortion and those are hard to get
together, especially at high volume.

I think if I were putting a serious setup together today, Id go for 12
or 15's in bass reflex cabs, crossing over to some serious 8" units
about 300hz, then a mid range horn at 1.5kHz ad some bullet horn style
tweeters at about 5khz.. be aiming for 97dB/W or so and spending a
sodding fortune on the kit..

Any old amp though :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:15:39 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Another very good English designed speaker)..

Good for speech not quite so nice in music.

In what way?..

Bit "light" and don't go particulary loud,

Well thats not a problem as such .. the LS3/5A is an excellent speaker
let alone one for its size..

I liked LS5/8's.

Yes.. wouldn't mind a pair of they for meself..

Are they seen that often outside BBC control rooms and similar places?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/10/2010 11:44 a.m., The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:

The voice is just another instrument, isn't it? What sort of music are you
thinking of?

Ah well, the voice is. Lots of voices aint.

Also lots of any instrument.

If one instrument sounds good, that means nothing.

If you can actually pick out individual voices or instruments in a chorus or
orchestra,, you have bloody low intermodulation products in the speakers.

I can't pick out the individual instruments in an orchestra when I'm listening
to it in a concert hall. Should it be easier with amplifier/speakers? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

The voice is just another instrument, isn't it? What sort of music
are you
thinking of?

Ah well, the voice is. Lots of voices aint.

Also lots of any instrument.

If one instrument sounds good, that means nothing.

If you can actually pick out individual voices or instruments in a
chorus or
orchestra,, you have bloody low intermodulation products in the speakers.

I can't pick out the individual instruments in an orchestra when I'm
listening to it in a concert hall.

really?

Should it be easier with
amplifier/speakers? ;-)

Sometimes..if they are multi-miked..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Remove positive supply fuse.
Put meter across fuse holder on current setting.
Turn preset fully clockwise.
Turn on amp.
Adjust preset for 20mA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:44:01 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:
[...]

I'd pick electrostatics or ribbon tweeters for the top end, both as sweet as it gets at high frequencies. Electrostatics for midrange too. Moving coil doesnt come close.

I hear bass reflex are better designed now, when I had some years ago the time-spread made a right mess.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:
[...]

nah. no power from ES.

a good mid range horn is an utter joy.

I hear bass reflex are better designed now, when I had some years ago
the time-spread made a right mess.

You might be thinking of labyrinth. Bass reflex is not really noticeable
delay wise.

NT

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 October 2010 07:52:55 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

Well thats not a problem as such .. the LS3/5A is an excellent speaker
let alone one for its size..

Are they seen that often outside BBC control rooms and similar places?..

I have a pair. They came in kit form and were only available to BBC staff. I was a "pre university trainee" at Research Dept at the time. I think only a couple of hundred were ever made to that specification.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 October 2010 07:52:55 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

Well thats not a problem as such .. the LS3/5A is an excellent speaker
let alone one for its size..

Are they seen that often outside BBC control rooms and similar places?..

I have a pair. They came in kit form and were only available to BBC
staff. I was a "pre university trainee" at Research Dept at the time. I
think only a couple of hundred were ever made to that specification.

there were at least 3 firms which had the licence to build LS3/5As. At
least one firm was founded by a former BBC Research engineer. This probably
explains the "kit" version which I hadn't come across before even though
working in TV Centre at the time they were developed.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , charles
scribeth thus
In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 October 2010 07:52:55 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

Well thats not a problem as such .. the LS3/5A is an excellent speaker
let alone one for its size..

Are they seen that often outside BBC control rooms and similar places?..

I have a pair. They came in kit form and were only available to BBC
staff. I was a "pre university trainee" at Research Dept at the time. I
think only a couple of hundred were ever made to that specification.

there were at least 3 firms which had the licence to build LS3/5As. At
least one firm was founded by a former BBC Research engineer. This probably
explains the "kit" version which I hadn't come across before even though
working in TV Centre at the time they were developed.

Dudley Harbeth?..

Theres a pair of LS5/8's on ebay BBC made c/w power amps at the moment..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tony sayer
wrote:
In article , charles
scribeth thus
In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 October 2010 07:52:55 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

Well thats not a problem as such .. the LS3/5A is an excellent
speaker let alone one for its size..
Are they seen that often outside BBC control rooms and similar
places?..

I have a pair. They came in kit form and were only available to BBC
staff. I was a "pre university trainee" at Research Dept at the time.
I think only a couple of hundred were ever made to that specification.

there were at least 3 firms which had the licence to build LS3/5As. At
least one firm was founded by a former BBC Research engineer. This
probably explains the "kit" version which I hadn't come across before
even though working in TV Centre at the time they were developed.

Dudley Harbeth?..

Theres a pair of LS5/8's on ebay BBC made c/w power amps at the moment..

David Stebbins was another.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:
[...]

I dont remember that being a problem with the Quads - but they did lack in the bass department.

a good mid range horn is an utter joy.

Not sure I've ever encountered one, moving coils are inherently problematic in ways statics arent. Having had statics I think it would be very hard to convert me back to moving coil, for mid & tweet anyway.

I hear bass reflex are better designed now, when I had some years ago
the time-spread made a right mess.

You might be thinking of labyrinth. Bass reflex is not really noticeable
delay wise.

Time-smearing is an issue with bass reflex, its a resonant system. How much of it there is depends on design. Unfortunately the first bass reflexes I ever had were terrible in this respect, and they do tend to be.

I only had labyrinth speakers once, not much experience with those.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 October 2010 07:52:55 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

Well thats not a problem as such .. the LS3/5A is an excellent
speaker let alone one for its size..

Are they seen that often outside BBC control rooms and similar
places?..

I have a pair. They came in kit form and were only available to BBC
staff. I was a "pre university trainee" at Research Dept at the time.
I think only a couple of hundred were ever made to that specification.

there were at least 3 firms which had the licence to build LS3/5As. At
least one firm was founded by a former BBC Research engineer. This
probably explains the "kit" version which I hadn't come across before
even though working in TV Centre at the time they were developed.

The 'kits' were sold by Chartwell. Think what happened was they bought in
far more 'bits' than they could sell complete - perhaps anticipating a BBC
order.

Rogers KEF and Spendor also produced LS 3/5a.

I too have the Chartwell kit ones - in use in the bedroom, driven by a
Linsey-Hood amp. Still sound stunning. And an ex OBs Rogers pair in the
kitchen. Don't think anything better has been made in that size.

Falcon Acoustics have had the B110 LF unit re-made. About 200 quid for a
matched pair. They also do a complete kit to make them to BBC spec. Never
actually heard a pair, though.

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'd pick electrostatics or ribbon tweeters for the top end, both as
sweet as it gets at high frequencies. Electrostatics for midrange
too. Moving coil doesnt come close.

nah. no power from ES.

I dont remember that being a problem with the Quads - but they did lack
in the bass department.

The lack of resonances tended to give that impression - but in a decent
room and correctly positioned they were good down to approx 40 Hz. As good
if not better than most.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
scribeth thus
Philosopher wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:
[...]

OK they won't quite do flap yer trousers bass, but what is there is
reproduced and they do that very well still..

a good mid range horn is an utter joy.

Not sure I've ever encountered one, moving coils are inherently problematic in
ways statics arent. Having had statics I think it would be very hard to convert
me back to moving coil, for mid & tweet anyway.

I hear bass reflex are better designed now, when I had some years ago
the time-spread made a right mess.

You might be thinking of labyrinth. Bass reflex is not really noticeable
delay wise.

Time-smearing is an issue with bass reflex, its a resonant system. How much of
it there is depends on design. Unfortunately the first bass reflexes I ever had
were terrible in this respect, and they do tend to be.

I only had labyrinth speakers once, not much experience with those.

NT

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Yes excellent little speakers, use 'em for a computer sound channel here
c/w Audiolab 8000A

Useful site..

http://www.ls35a.com/

Falcon Acoustics have had the B110 LF unit re-made. About 200 quid for a
matched pair. They also do a complete kit to make them to BBC spec. Never
actually heard a pair, though.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought a couple of these Maplin 50 watt amplifiers as both faulty.
I repaired them both and they sound great.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What was wrong then.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
I bought a couple of these Maplin 50 watt amplifiers as both faulty.
I repaired them both and they sound great.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/14 23:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
What was wrong then.
Brian

4 year old thread dug up by Google

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/PLG6gqY3y7A

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That was my next question on the next thread as well. I do sometimes wonder
what google are up to.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 05/06/14 23:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
What was wrong then.
Brian

4 year old thread dug up by Google

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/PLG6gqY3y7A

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I bought a couple of these Maplin 50 watt amplifiers as both faulty.
I repaired them both and they sound great.

so what do you want, a ****in gold star or something?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2014 23:26, Adrian C wrote:
On 05/06/14 23:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
What was wrong then.
Brian

4 year old thread dug up by Google

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/PLG6gqY3y7A

Yep. I remember starting it!

Funnily enough, this is the second time it's been dredged up, and both
by the same person. The last time was Feb 2013...

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 11:23:51 PM UTC+1, Colin Stamp wrote:
Hi all,

A long long time ago, I made an amplifier using two of these modules.
Since I made it in my yoof, I'm quite attached to it. Recently though,
my wife bashed her head on the underside of the shelf it was on. There
followed loads of crackling from the speakers accompanied by the
disturbing hum of power rails coupled directly to speakers. I sprang up
and flew across the room to switch the amp off (which wasn't easy since
I had to be careful to avoid my wife who was now rolling around on the
floor, clutching her head) but I was too late and the left channel was
toast.

I'm a bit mystified as to how the head-bashing could have caused any
damage but, aside from that, repairs are progressing and new bits are on
order; I only lost two of the output transistors, some resistors and a
couple of polystyrene caps. The only problem I'm expecting is how to set
up the quiescent current, since I can't find the original instructions
for the modules.

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but does anyone here happen to have a
set of instructions hanging around? I think it was quite a popular
module for quite a long time. The order code was HQ68Y.

Oh, and the wife's making a full recovery, by the way.

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

i notice theres no diagrams which i was looking for will pay if i get it 0863946719 ireland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.scribd.com/doc/38418078/...35Q-Maplin-Kit

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

On 2017-12-21,
wrote:
[...]

I have cross-posted this to uk.rec.audio. They may well know.

Did you notice the date of the mail? Its over 7 years old!!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 21/12/17 22:16, wrote:

i notice theres no diagrams which i was looking for will pay if i get it 0863946719 ireland

https://www.scribd.com/doc/38418078/...35Q-Maplin-Kit

If that isn't it, it will be in another issue of 'Electronics - The Maplin
Magazine', you just need to find out which one. Probably someone has back
issues lying around, or a library has some. As I recall, the December issue
of each year had an index of that year's articles, so it shouldn't be
difficult to find.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2017 22:41, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 21/12/17 22:16, wrote:

i notice theres no diagrams which i was looking for will pay if i get
it 0863946719 ireland

https://www.scribd.com/doc/38418078/...35Q-Maplin-Kit

I built one of those years ago in a fit of enthusiasm... alas at the
time I had not costed what it would take to turn it into a fully
integrated amp! ISTR buying the bits to make a PSU for just running a
single power amp, and they cost more than the amp kit. (still I reused
them making a bench PSU for my O level electronics project!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...lectronics.htm

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bit confused what happened between 2010 and now.
However, when I had this happen in a Memorex Amp it actually toasted one of
the speakers.

As for the mode of failure, well, you only need a short across the output
after all.
I was always replacing the ICs in the old Sinclair IC12 amps as they had no
protection at all on the outputs. Texas made the chips
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 21/12/17 22:16,
wrote:

i notice theres no diagrams which i was looking for will pay if i get it
0863946719 ireland

https://www.scribd.com/doc/38418078/...35Q-Maplin-Kit

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

On 2017-12-21, Woody wrote:

"Huge" wrote in message

[44 lines snipped]

I have cross-posted this to uk.rec.audio. They may well know.

Did you notice the date of the mail? Its over 7 years old!!

Oh, bugger. Thank you for pointing that out. Apologies.

Can we have the ****s who make these zombie postings killed?

In theory, yes, but in practice, ot may prove more difficult.

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius