Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin "50W HiFi" amplifier module instructions.

Gib Bogle wrote:
On 5/10/2010 8:36 p.m., Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:15:28 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

I also have a pair of Spendor BC1s that I'm not using but can't

bear to
part with.

Another very good English designed speaker)..

Good for speech not quite so nice in music.

The voice is just another instrument, isn't it? What sort of music are
you thinking of?

Ah well, the voice is. Lots of voices aint.

Also lots of any instrument.

If one instrument sounds good, that means nothing.

If you can actually pick out individual voices or instruments in a
chorus or orchestra,, you have bloody low intermodulation products in
the speakers.

Best there are Quad ELS, then horn loudspeakers IME. I've heard some
lovely PA style horns that serious money was spent on. JBL used to be
very good.

Price you pay is tendency towards colouration. so the single instrument
may sound tainted..

Actually rock music is easiest to get right. Few instruments - just
needs decent bass, but no transmission lines please. They muddy bass
drums awfully. IB or bass reflex better, or best 20 ft concrete horns.

Same for jazz. Nothing special required.

Hardest is really full orchestra or full chorus - not opera. There you
want both low colouration and low distortion and those are hard to get
together, especially at high volume.

I think if I were putting a serious setup together today, Id go for 12
or 15's in bass reflex cabs, crossing over to some serious 8" units
about 300hz, then a mid range horn at 1.5kHz ad some bullet horn style
tweeters at about 5khz.. be aiming for 97dB/W or so and spending a
sodding fortune on the kit..

Any old amp though :-)