Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removed radiator, now problem with boiler.

Hi all,

We took a radiator off yesterday, and some dodgy pipework meant that
quite a bit of water was lost from the system before it was capped
off.

The pressure meter in the Worcester combi reads 0, but attempting to
refil it has no effect on the reading. After letting water into the
boiler the meter didn't move but we started getting a drip out of the
safety discharge pipe. Presumably there is enough water in the boiler,
but the meter is still reading zero.

Will bleeding the remaining radiators fix this, or has something else
gone wrong?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:

On 20 Sep, 09:32, Stickytroll wrote:
Hi all,

We took a radiator off yesterday, and some dodgy pipework meant that
quite a bit of water was lost from the system before it was capped
off.

The pressure meter in the Worcester combi reads 0, but attempting to
refil it has no effect on the reading. After letting water into the
boiler the meter didn't move but we started getting a drip out of the
safety discharge pipe. Presumably there is enough water in the boiler,
but the meter is still reading zero.

Will bleeding the remaining radiators fix this, or has something else
gone wrong?

Your gauge is probably knackered

Maybe the needle's just stuck. Try itting the gauge wiv an ammer. Gently!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 20 Sep,
cynic wrote:

On 20 Sep, 09:32, Stickytroll wrote:
Hi all,

We took a radiator off yesterday, and some dodgy pipework meant that
quite a bit of water was lost from the system before it was capped
off.

The pressure meter in the Worcester combi reads 0, but attempting to
refil it has no effect on the reading. After letting water into the
boiler the meter didn't move but we started getting a drip out of the
safety discharge pipe. Presumably there is enough water in the boiler,
but the meter is still reading zero.

Will bleeding the remaining radiators fix this, or has something else
gone wrong?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

Your gauge is probably knackered

More likely the relief valve is leaking, give it a twist to discharge any
gunge and see if it helps. If it can't be re-seated a new one may be needed.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Sep, 12:13, wrote:
On 20 Sep, *
* * *cynic wrote:

[...]

* Change lycos to yahoo to reply- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the suggestions so far... So am I to assume that the fact
this happened (knackered/stuck gauge or leaky relief valve) after
taking out a radiator is just coincidence?

Tom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Sep, 12:25, Stickytroll wrote:
On 20 Sep, 12:13, wrote:

On 20 Sep, *
* * *cynic wrote:

[...]

Tom.- Hide quoted text -

It's one of four.
Water isn't going in.
Water is going but is leaking out somewhere (possibly relief valve)
Check outlet from relief valve.
Needle on pressure guage has gone all the way round the dial and is on
"wrong" side of the zero pin.
Pressure guage stuck/full of gunge.. BE CAREFUL not to over pressure
the system. Remove pressure guage, see that water comes from pipe
where it was. Check pressure guage by wrapping inlet with tape and
holding tight agains a CW tap. Don't over pressure it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Sep, 12:58, harry wrote:
On 20 Sep, 12:25, Stickytroll wrote:

On 20 Sep, 12:13, wrote:

On 20 Sep, *
* * *cynic wrote:

[...]

It would appear toe the last of these. Water is definitely going in,
and is not coming out of the relief valve.

The needle is at the correct side of the zero pin.

If I turn on a hot tap the boiler is firing up and I'm getting (very)
hot water out. When I turn the tap off there is a lot of gurgling and
sucking going on around the radiators, so I presume there's some air
in there somewhere, but bleeding any of the radiators just gives
water, no air.

Is it safe to use hot water now? Do I need to get the gauge fixed
first?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 01:32:28 -0700, Stickytroll wrote:

The pressure meter in the Worcester combi reads 0, but attempting to
refil it has no effect on the reading. After letting water into the
boiler the meter didn't move but we started getting a drip out of the
safety discharge pipe. Presumably there is enough water in the boiler,
but the meter is still reading zero.

Pressure gauge stuck? Happens on some of them.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

The ant has made himself illustrious through constant industry industrious
So what? Would you be calm and placid if you were full of formic acid?