Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default throughbolt/thrubolt removal?

Hello,

Is it possible to remove through bolts? I guess not because
when you pull the bolt it will engage with the skirt and anchor itself
more firmly. Is it just a case of cutting unwanted ones as close to
the wall as possible with an angle grinder and tapping them below the
surface?

It's not so bad when there's a sleeve left in the wall, but it is a
nuisance when there's a bolt protruding!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robert wrote:
Is it possible to remove through bolts? I guess not because
when you pull the bolt it will engage with the skirt and anchor itself
more firmly. Is it just a case of cutting unwanted ones as close to
the wall as possible with an angle grinder and tapping them below the
surface?

It's not so bad when there's a sleeve left in the wall, but it is a
nuisance when there's a bolt protruding!

If you mean the sort of expanding wall bolt, slacken it and tap the bolt
inwards. This should push the wedge out and allow it to be removed.

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:51:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

If you mean the sort of expanding wall bolt, slacken it and tap the bolt
inwards. This should push the wedge out and allow it to be removed.

Thanks. What a fast reply!

Something like this I think:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre.../sd2040/p25314

It looks like it pulls a cone into an expanding skirt (thanks to John
who taught me this in another thread). In other words the far end is
wider than the middle, so trying to pull it causes the end cone to jam
against the skirt.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert wrote:

Something like this I think:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre.../sd2040/p25314

It looks like it pulls a cone into an expanding skirt (thanks to John
who taught me this in another thread). In other words the far end is
wider than the middle, so trying to pull it causes the end cone to jam
against the skirt.

There is no trick that you're missing. Either you patiently "wiggle" it
out (if you can) or, as you say, cut off with a hacksaw or angle grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it possible to remove through bolts? I guess not because
when you pull the bolt it will engage with the skirt and anchor itself
more firmly. Is it just a case of cutting unwanted ones as close to
the wall as possible with an angle grinder and tapping them below the
surface?

Is it a through bolt, or a shield anchor? They are used in much the
same way, but are constructed slightly differently. For example, a
shield anchor looks more like:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...ors/d90/sd2792

If it's one of these, then you can simply unscrew the inner bolt, and
then the shield collapses in on itself allowing it to be pulled out.

If it's not the unscrewable type, tighten it up as much as possible to
pull the bolt as far out of the hole as you can, to leave as much
depth at the back of the hole as you can. Then cut the bolt off close
to the wall, and tap the bolt back into the space you made by
tightening the bolt up originally.

dan.

D1-4 removal? Bill Schwab Metalworking 11 April 1st 08 02:16 AM
Tub removal..? Charles Pisano Home Repair 1 January 21st 08 08:46 PM
Tap removal John UK diy 9 February 15th 07 02:27 PM
Gum Removal Ross Mac Home Repair 4 June 13th 05 04:15 AM
How much does one tip removal men? MM UK diy 27 November 30th 04 05:38 PM