Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Message is no longer available on the server?

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
When I click on unread messages I get the following & can't read the
message;

"Message is no longer available on the server
Outlook Express is unable to retrieve the requested message because the
server no longer has the message available.

News servers regularly expire articles as they get older to make space
available for newer articles.
IMAP servers can be accessed by multiple e-mail programs at the same time.
If you are using two programs to access your mail the list of messages
maybe out of date. Use the refresh command to update this list".

These are recent (todays) messages

Wots going on then?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Stick this on your browser toolbar:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/topics?lnk

The google cache holds messages long after they have been removed from the
news servers, so if you forget to, or don't want to copy your most useful
threads to local folders, you can still quickly find them from google
groups.

As for virgin: they have been playing about with server settings for ages
since they handed over to google, and very little of the setting information
they have sent out has actually been any use - on my computers at least.
After a couple of goes, similar to yours, earlier in the year, resulted in
me either getting no, or masses of duplicate, messages, I switched to
eternal-september, and there have been very few glitches on news since.
Sometimes one does get a failure to post, but it usually clears by next day.

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As for virgin: they have been playing about with server settings for
ages since they handed over to google, and very little of the setting
information they have sent out has actually been any use - on my
computers at least. After a couple of goes, similar to yours, earlier
in the year, resulted in me either getting no, or masses of
duplicate, messages, I switched to eternal-september, and there have
been very few glitches on news since. Sometimes one does get a
failure to post, but it usually clears by next day.

VM handed email to Google year but their Usenet went to Highwinds
earlier and is still with them. Their retention on binary groups is
rubbish compared with Giganews, Astraweb etc. But that aside, I've
found the service pretty good after the initial few weeks when they
first handed over to Highwinds. If you ever use binary groups I'd
recommend you give news.virginmedia.com another try. For example I left
a machine just before midnight last week and it had finished downloading
over 13 GB before breakfast with no incompletes )

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com