Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat roofs - just out of interest

Been doing some reading out of curiousity...

GRB fibreglass and EDPM rubber manufacturers both claim that their flat
domestic roofing solutions last 30-40 years (ie over twice the max expected
from torch on felt).

Is this true? Only reason is that I don't think I've noticed many instances
of either compared to felt...

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

EDPM rubber manufacturers [...] claim that their flat
domestic roofing solutions last 30-40 years
Is this true?

Dunno, only had mine for 4 years, as you say they all claim it's been in
use for decades in europe, just not here. Definitely a two man job,
probably would have been easier with three.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug, 22:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
EDPM rubber manufacturers [...] claim that their flat
domestic roofing solutions last 30-40 years
Is this true?

Dunno, only had mine for 4 years, as you say they all claim it's been in
use for decades in europe, just not here. Definitely a two man job,
probably would have been easier with three.

Same here. I did my workshop in EPDM about 3.5 years ago. I think the
finish looks much smarter than the adjacent garage which is felted,
and other people comment favourably on its appearance as well. It's
not very common to see it used though, probably because felt is the
`obvious' choice in many people's minds.

Why do you think its a two or three man job? I did my 3m x 5m roof in
about a day on my own. I could have done it quicker with another
person perhaps, but not significantly so.

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
EDPM rubber manufacturers [...] claim that their flat
domestic roofing solutions last 30-40 years
Is this true?

Dunno, only had mine for 4 years, as you say they all claim it's been in
use for decades in europe, just not here. Definitely a two man job,
probably would have been easier with three.

Same here. I did my workshop in EPDM about 3.5 years ago. I think the
finish looks much smarter than the adjacent garage which is felted,
and other people comment favourably on its appearance as well. It's
not very common to see it used though, probably because felt is the
`obvious' choice in many people's minds.

Why do you think its a two or three man job? I did my 3m x 5m roof in
about a day on my own. I could have done it quicker with another
person perhaps, but not significantly so.

dan.

All interesting... I wonder why I don't see more? Is it because people
(including roofers) aren't aware... I would have thought fibreglass would
have beaten felt hands down - and rubber if the rubber is good and the
jointing is done right (having watched a video it looks like a real art to
do all the corner joints, especially internal upstand joints (eg velux
window). Nothing rocket-sciency but quite involved).

I caught a link somewhere and thouhg it worth the thought now for when my
felt goes in 5-10 years (it's 7 years old).

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote

All interesting... I wonder why I don't see more? Is it because people
(including roofers) aren't aware... I would have thought fibreglass would
have beaten felt hands down - and rubber if the rubber is good and the
jointing is done right (having watched a video it looks like a real art to
do all the corner joints, especially internal upstand joints (eg velux
window). Nothing rocket-sciency but quite involved).

I caught a link somewhere and thouhg it worth the thought now for when my
felt goes in 5-10 years (it's 7 years old).

--

A neighbour of mine had this done 15 years ago and no problems.
The job was guaranteed for 20 years.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dent wrote:

I did my workshop in EPDM about 3.5 years ago. I think the
finish looks much smarter than the adjacent garage which is felted,
and other people comment favourably on its appearance as well. It's
not very common to see it used though, probably because felt is the
`obvious' choice in many people's minds.

I'm pleased with mine, I thought it would save me ever having to do the
roof again, I may well move before even felt would need replacing -
don't suppose EPDM will be a major selling feature.

Why do you think its a two or three man job?
I did my 3m x 5m roof in
about a day on my own.

Originally kitchen and garage flat roofs were different levels, they
needed replacing, I re-boarded them and added extra joists to raise them
to the same level, so mine was about 8m x 3m.

I could have done it quicker with another
person perhaps, but not significantly so.

I'd bought a roller with extension handle to apply the adhesive to the
roof, the extension handle buckles on about the second sweep (cheap
silverline rubbish) so I then had to apply all the adhesive kneeling
down which was less than fun.

The instructions seemed strict about how much time it was to be left to
"go tacky" before rolling out the membrane, and it got a bit rushed, and
ended up with quite a few wrinkles and bubbles.

I was quite ****ed of with this and decided I'd risk peeling it off and
relaying it ... as it turned out the adhesive had more generous drying
time than the supplier had suggested, it went down again much flatter
and by then the sun had warmed the membrane up too which made it softer
and easier to handle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

dent wrote:

[...]

That's very interesting. Did you have any trouble with the corners? Did you
have to use a variety of special uncured rubber sections to over lay over
corner joints ('cos I saw one of the videos showing this)?

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Did you have any trouble with the corners? Did you
have to use a variety of special uncured rubber sections to over lay over
corner joints ('cos I saw one of the videos showing this)?

I have one internal corner, and yes I bought the un-vulcanised rubber
piece to fit into it, no problem. The cut-out piece from the L shape
fitted the porch nicely.

+---+
| |
| *--+
| |
| |
| |
+------+
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Been doing some reading out of curiousity...

GRB fibreglass and EDPM rubber manufacturers both claim that their flat
domestic roofing solutions last 30-40 years (ie over twice the max
expected
from torch on felt).

Is this true? Only reason is that I don't think I've noticed many
instances
of either compared to felt...

Fibreglass is used for boats and they last 40+ years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Been doing some reading out of curiousity...

GRB fibreglass and EDPM rubber manufacturers both claim that their flat
domestic roofing solutions last 30-40 years (ie over twice the max
expected from torch on felt).

I've not looked into fibreglass nor EDPM because they seem to need
professional installation.

I have an unused garage (with a low pitch dreaded cement fibre roof) which I
am thinking of converting to a study. Roof insulation is an issue and I've
been trying to compare prices for DIY materials for a warm roof.

Two options seem to be:

1) composite steel profile sheet with 100mm celotex sandwiched between
profiles

2) warm deck on ceiling joists with furring pieces and 90mm celotec bonden
to 6mm ply with 3 layer torch on finish.

The composite steel will last a vlong time and the torch on 20years ( but
some claim 70).

The steel costs GBP40/m2 and is quickly erected with moderate skill but the
material cost for the warm deck is only slightly less and, from my
experience of burning through torch on, needs much higher skill.

AJH

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watts View Post
Been doing some reading out of curiousity...

GRB fibreglass and EDPM rubber manufacturers both claim that their flat
domestic roofing solutions last 30-40 years (ie over twice the max expected
from torch on felt).

Is this true? Only reason is that I don't think I've noticed many instances
of either compared to felt...

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
To be fair, its all down to who installs it and how its been installed.

I would look at Firestone EPDM, and getting a good reccomended Firestone Installer to do it.

It has a warranty as standard on the membrane, most contractors offer a 20 year warranty on the membrane also.

Its been proven to last over 50 years, its far more superior than felt imo.

If you need more info then look at Roofing Warehouse, its where i got most of my info from.

Flat Roofing Supplies | Firestone EPDM | Rubber Roofing Sheets | Next Day Delivery

I hope this helps.