Posted to alt.home.repair
JFM JFM is offline

Default Paneling or drywall ceiling under flat roofs?

I have a 10x12 or so flat roof on either end of the house. Always had
trouble with leaks and had to keep replacing the sheetrock ceilings.
One of the rooms extends the whole end of the house and is covered 1/2
by a pitched roof and 1/2 by the flat roof. The ceiling of the front
part (under the pitched roof) looks like 1x4's (3 1/4" exposed) butted
together, although it may be TIG.

I have replaced the flat roofs with rubber membrane systems and hope
to have no further trouble, but I am gun shy (especially since I'm
afraid the roof installation was not done correctly) and really do not
want to drywall these ceilings in case there is a leak down the road
and would appreciate alternative suggestions.

All suggestions appreciated!

JFM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JFM" wrote in message
I have a 10x12 or so flat roof on either end of the house. Always had
trouble with leaks and had to keep replacing the sheetrock ceilings.
One of the rooms extends the whole end of the house and is covered 1/2
by a pitched roof and 1/2 by the flat roof. The ceiling of the front
part (under the pitched roof) looks like 1x4's (3 1/4" exposed) butted
together, although it may be TIG.

I have replaced the flat roofs with rubber membrane systems and hope
to have no further trouble, but I am gun shy (especially since I'm
afraid the roof installation was not done correctly) and really do not
want to drywall these ceilings in case there is a leak down the road
and would appreciate alternative suggestions.

All suggestions appreciated!

JFM

Why do you think panelling would fare any better than drywall if there were
a leak? ***Maybe*** it would contain the water and redirect it elsewhere,
like toward on of the walls. Or, maybe the water would collect until it
became heavy enough to pull down a piece of panelling. I think the sheetrock
would give you earlier warning.

I wonder what it would cost to install a normal roof. I see framing
carpenters doing an entire roof on a huge house in a day, and it's got
shingles 2 days later.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JFM JFM is offline

What I meant was individual plank panelling.

If I were to go with drywall, would the green stuff intended for baths
be better?

JFM

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:53:42 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"JFM" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JFM" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:53:42 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"JFM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Better for what? If the roof leaks, you'll know about it sooner or later,
depending on which material you use. With sheetrock, you'd probably see a
water stain pretty quickly. With "other", it might take a day or three or
whatever. I think I'd go with sheetrock. I'd want to know sooner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:50:40 -0400, JFM wrote:

You cannot fix or cope with a leaking roof by
picking a waterproof ceiling treatment.
The best possible thing to do, if you're
*expecting* a leak, is to not put anything on
the underside of the roof-deacking at all.

At least that way it will have a chance to
dry out again after it rains.

But it's a far better idea to just bite
the bullet, and put up a roof-treatment
that you can expect not to leak in the