Posted to uk.d-i-y
D55 D55 is offline

Default OT - Fascinating Question !!

Does custard go with scones?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D55" wrote in message
Does custard go with scones?

Arthur

Absolutely not. We have two cafes, and we do both scones and custard, and
quite rightly, no one's ever asked for them on the same plate ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D55 wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

No! Its agin nature. No good will ever come of it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D55 wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

Arthur

I'd have to say yes, custard goes with scones, custard goes with anything
pastry and sweet - obviously not sausage rolls, but fruit pies and crumbles,
and any kind of cake, and I'd call a scone a type of cake

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug, 19:15, "Phil L" wrote:
D55 wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

Arthur

I'd have to say yes, custard goes with scones, custard goes with anything
pastry and sweet - obviously not sausage rolls, but fruit pies and crumbles,
and any kind of cake, and I'd call a scone a type of cake

--

When me mum used to burn cakes, the only way we could get them down
was with custard !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, "D55" wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/2/2010 2:23 PM, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard
for the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

I'll risk trying either variation.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:15:48 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

D55 wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

Arthur

I'd have to say yes, custard goes with scones, custard goes with anything
pastry and sweet - obviously not sausage rolls, but fruit pies and crumbles,
and any kind of cake, and I'd call a scone a type of cake

Even cheese scones?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 19:15:48 +0100, Phil L wrote:
I'd have to say yes, custard goes with scones

Surely it all leaks down the back and makes a mess of the wall?

Oh, *scones*

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , S Viemeister
writes
On 8/2/2010 2:23 PM, ARWadsworth wrote:
Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

Oh, c'mon! Jam first, then cream on the jam.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L writes
I'd have to say yes, custard goes with scones, custard goes with anything
pastry and sweet - obviously not sausage rolls, but fruit pies and crumbles,
and any kind of cake, and I'd call a scone a type of cake

Many years ago the talk of the queue in the works canteen was that
someone had just purchased a Cornish Pasty coated with custard. No
reports were heard regarding this gastronomic delight.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
D55 wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

No! Its agin nature. No good will ever come of it.

Dr Who ate custard with fishfingers.

Mind you when I was at Uni I ate a tin of dog food for a bet.

It would have tasted nicer with custard.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

Depends whether it's in Cornwall or Devon.....

And then there's the knotty question of whether to butter or not.

--
The Wanderer

A consultant will borrow your watch
Then charge if you ask him the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-02, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/08/2010 20:41, Graeme wrote:
In message , S Viemeister
writes
On 8/2/2010 2:23 PM, ARWadsworth wrote:
Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

Oh, c'mon! Jam first, then cream on the jam.

Ideally, thin layer of jam on both cut surfaces of the scone, and
lashings of cream between!

Between? You don't mean you (shudder) re-assemble the scone?

BURN THE HERETIC!

If you do not re-assemble the scone which half do you eat first? The top or
bottom half of the scone?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D55" wrote in message
Does custard go with scones?

Arthur

Does anything not go with scones?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
D55 wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

Arthur

I'd have to say yes, custard goes with scones, custard goes with
anything pastry and sweet - obviously not sausage rolls, but fruit
pies and crumbles, and any kind of cake, and I'd call a scone a type
of cake

Indeed. The fastest cake in the world.

Scone!

...... I'll get me coat.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard
for the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

I'm off to Devon for a week on Friday - I'll do some research & report back.
Purely in the interests of research of course.....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-02, Adrian wrote:
Phil L writes
I'd have to say yes, custard goes with scones, custard goes with anything
pastry and sweet - obviously not sausage rolls, but fruit pies and crumbles,
and any kind of cake, and I'd call a scone a type of cake

Many years ago the talk of the queue in the works canteen was that
someone had just purchased a Cornish Pasty coated with custard. No
reports were heard regarding this gastronomic delight.

A cow-orker at a previous place of employ used to eat black pudding
dipped in yoghurt.

Does custard go with fish fingers?

Bechamel does....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

Depends whether it's in Cornwall or Devon.....

And then there's the knotty question of whether to butter or not.

Only if it's a cheese scone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

Depends whether it's in Cornwall or Devon.....

And then there's the knotty question of whether to butter or not.

The answer is yes, at least half an inch thick.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2010 22:41, Spamlet wrote:
wrote in message
Does custard go with scones?

Arthur

Does anything not go with scones?

Angle grinder, car body filler, SDS drill, pressure washer, WD40.
I'm sure I have missed something out.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 22:51:06 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
Does custard go with fish fingers?

Makes ginger haired women snog you...

I'm sure I'll work out your logic and be utterly disgusted by the
morning...
;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 22:51:06 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
Does custard go with fish fingers?

Makes ginger haired women snog you...

I'm sure I'll work out your logic and be utterly disgusted by the
morning...
;-)

This one, if

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/b/b1/20100101183340!Amy_Pond.jpg

if it helps you be utterly disgusted by the morning

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
On 2 Aug, 19:15, "Phil L" wrote:
D55 wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

Arthur

I'd have to say yes, custard goes with scones, custard goes with anything
pastry and sweet - obviously not sausage rolls, but fruit pies and crumbles,
and any kind of cake, and I'd call a scone a type of cake

--

When me mum used to burn cakes,

Was her name Alfred ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
ARWadsworth
wibbled on Monday 02 August 2010 21:57

The Medway Handyman wrote:
D55 wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

No! Its agin nature. No good will ever come of it.

Dr Who ate custard with fishfingers.

Mind you when I was at Uni I ate a tin of dog food for a bet.

It would have tasted nicer with custard.

I tried that - oddly enough it smells sort of OK, but tastes like a dog's
arse. Suppose that's why they like it. Next time I'll bet on cat food.

Don't even think about it

after Yullie accidentally trying some last year,I can confirm there is
better cuisine out there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 2 Aug, 13:22, "D55" wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Not quite the same sort of 'custard' though ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, "D55" wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.
--
Adam

Yep ! That's how we serve 'em ! Most of our customers like them hit with 30
secs of microwave as well, to give them that 'just out of the oven' feel,
which of course they are every morning, if you get in our caff early enough
:-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

Depends whether it's in Cornwall or Devon.....

And then there's the knotty question of whether to butter or not.

--
The Wanderer

Oh yes. Butter is essential. And it must be butter. None of this pretend
axle grease ****e ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
D55 wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

Arthur

I'd have to say yes, custard goes with scones, custard goes with anything
pastry and sweet - obviously not sausage rolls, but fruit pies and crumbles,
and any kind of cake, and I'd call a scone a type of cake

Why not sausage rolls?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave
writes
Angle grinder, car body filler, SDS drill, pressure washer, WD40.
I'm sure I have missed something out.

I think I've come across some that needed an angle grinder or SDS to cut
them, and if I made them they would probably taste like car body filler
(and I don't even have any), pressure washer to clean the backing tray
with afterwards (I'll let someone else work out what you use the WD40
for).

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2010 19:41, Adrian Simpson wrote:
In article , Dave
writes
Angle grinder, car body filler, SDS drill, pressure washer, WD40.
I'm sure I have missed something out.

I think I've come across some that needed an angle grinder or SDS to cut
them, and if I made them they would probably taste like car body filler
(and I don't even have any), pressure washer to clean the backing tray
with afterwards (I'll let someone else work out what you use the WD40 for).

ROTFL

Nice reply :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian Simpson
writes
In article , Dave
writes
Angle grinder, car body filler, SDS drill, pressure washer, WD40.
I'm sure I have missed something out.

I think I've come across some that needed an angle grinder or SDS to
cut them, and if I made them they would probably taste like car body
filler (and I don't even have any), pressure washer to clean the
backing tray with afterwards (I'll let someone else work out what you
use the WD40 for).

Yes sir, me sir, I know the answer to that one

you can use it as a flame thrower to kill wasps with

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Adrian Simpson
writes
In article , Dave
writes
Angle grinder, car body filler, SDS drill, pressure washer, WD40.
I'm sure I have missed something out.

I think I've come across some that needed an angle grinder or SDS to
cut them, and if I made them they would probably taste like car body
filler (and I don't even have any), pressure washer to clean the
backing tray with afterwards (I'll let someone else work out what you
use the WD40 for).

Yes sir, me sir, I know the answer to that one

you can use it as a flame thrower to kill wasps with

I thought you liked wasps.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message XU06o.12881$on2.6204@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Adrian Simpson
writes
In article , Dave
writes
Angle grinder, car body filler, SDS drill, pressure washer, WD40.
I'm sure I have missed something out.

I think I've come across some that needed an angle grinder or SDS to
cut them, and if I made them they would probably taste like car body
filler (and I don't even have any), pressure washer to clean the
backing tray with afterwards (I'll let someone else work out what you
use the WD40 for).

Yes sir, me sir, I know the answer to that one

you can use it as a flame thrower to kill wasps with

I thought you liked wasps.

Luv 'em - just don't want them to get cold in winter

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message XU06o.12881$on2.6204@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Adrian Simpson
writes
In article , Dave
writes
Angle grinder, car body filler, SDS drill, pressure washer, WD40.
I'm sure I have missed something out.

I think I've come across some that needed an angle grinder or SDS to
cut them, and if I made them they would probably taste like car body
filler (and I don't even have any), pressure washer to clean the
backing tray with afterwards (I'll let someone else work out what you
use the WD40 for).

Yes sir, me sir, I know the answer to that one

you can use it as a flame thrower to kill wasps with

I thought you liked wasps.

Luv 'em - just don't want them to get cold in winter

--
geoff

Just to chuck a slightly new line of reasoning in ...

I asked the missus what she thought about this custard and scones thing, as
she makes and sells them every day in our caff. She reckons that it's a
perfectly valid combination. When I queried her as to why she thought this,
she said that you wouldn't think twice about having custard on a peach
cobbler, and the 'cake-y' bit of that is just a scone mix ...

Fair point I s'pose ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug, 19:23, "ARWadsworth" wrote:

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Bishop's Palace, Wells.

Worth every penny of the admission charge, and the best cream tea with
scones I've ever had.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, *wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

And of course is it said scone to rhyme with "bone", or scone to rhyme
with "gone"?
My money's on the first...and as for cream/jam, it's cream first, then
jam.
Mmm cream teas...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

And of course is it said scone to rhyme with "bone", or scone to rhyme
with "gone"?
My money's on the first...and as for cream/jam, it's cream first, then
jam.
Mmm cream teas...

In my house, 'scone' rhymes (more or less) with 'gone'.
Unless it's a Proper Name, when it rhymes with 'Goon'.

And I surveyed the family - all of us insist on jam first, then cream...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 3 Aug, 00:55, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Not quite the same sort of 'custard' though ...

Not *quite* but basically ordinary custard thickened with cornflour
(creme patisserie).

AKA 'confectioners custard'.

However ordinary custard IS just cornflour and milk, plus a bit of dried
egg yolk, colouring and a hint of vanilla.

Proper home made custard is fresh eggs, *cream*, cornflour and real
vanilla.

Confectioners custard is that but using *ordinary* flour, milk, and
highly beaten eggs.

'Egg custard' is that minus the flour. I.e. sweet flavoured scrambled eggs.

Owain