Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Fascinating Question !!

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 08:51:09 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

In my house, 'scone' rhymes (more or less) with 'gone'.

Same here.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "D55"
saying something like:

Does custard go with scones?

Absolutely. Fruit scones especially.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 3 Aug, 00:55, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.
Not quite the same sort of 'custard' though ...

Not *quite* but basically ordinary custard thickened with cornflour
(creme patisserie).

AKA 'confectioners custard'.

However ordinary custard IS just cornflour and milk, plus a bit of dried
egg yolk, colouring and a hint of vanilla.

Proper home made custard is fresh eggs, *cream*, cornflour and real
vanilla.

Confectioners custard is that but using *ordinary* flour, milk, and
highly beaten eggs.

'Egg custard' is that minus the flour. I.e. sweet flavoured scrambled
eggs.

Very good !! Right on the money all the way ! :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, "D55" wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard
for the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.
--
Adam

Yep ! That's how we serve 'em ! Most of our customers like them hit
with 30 secs of microwave as well, to give them that 'just out of the
oven' feel, which of course they are every morning, if you get in our
caff early enough :-)

Arfa

Who walks into a cafe in a morning and eats scones?

I would be able to smell the full english fry up a mile away. And do you get
black pudding on your full english?
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Aug, 13:51, S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/4/2010 8:18 AM, Lino expert wrote:

On 2 Aug, 19:32, S *wrote:
On 8/2/2010 2:23 PM, ARWadsworth wrote:
* *wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, * *wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard for
the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Scones need clotted cream and jam.

Jam first, then cream?
Or cream first, then jam?

And of course is it said scone to rhyme with "bone", or scone to rhyme
with "gone"?
My money's on the first...and as for cream/jam, it's cream first, then
jam.
Mmm cream teas...

In my house, 'scone' rhymes (more or less) with 'gone'.
Unless it's a Proper Name, when it rhymes with 'Goon'.

And I surveyed the family - all of us insist on jam first, then cream...

Ah yes, good call on the "Stone of..." option, I'd forgotten that one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message I_g6o.62097$2%2.33592@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes
Owain wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, "D55" wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard
for the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.
--
Adam

Yep ! That's how we serve 'em ! Most of our customers like them hit
with 30 secs of microwave as well, to give them that 'just out of the
oven' feel, which of course they are every morning, if you get in our
caff early enough :-)

Arfa

Who walks into a cafe in a morning and eats scones?

I would be able to smell the full english fry up a mile away. And do you get
black pudding on your full english?

But what do you put on it first - lard or HP sauce ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lino expert
saying something like:

And of course is it said scone to rhyme with "bone",

Only posh gits.

or scone to rhyme
with "gone"?

Normal people and Scotland.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, "D55" wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard
for the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.
--
Adam

Yep ! That's how we serve 'em ! Most of our customers like them hit
with 30 secs of microwave as well, to give them that 'just out of
the oven' feel, which of course they are every morning, if you get
in our caff early enough :-)

Arfa

Who walks into a cafe in a morning and eats scones?

I would be able to smell the full english fry up a mile away. And do
you get black pudding on your full english?

But what do you put on it first - lard or HP sauce ?

Only HP. No other brown sauce comes close to it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, "D55" wrote:
Does custard go with scones?
I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard
for the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain
Scones need clotted cream and jam.
--
Adam

Yep ! That's how we serve 'em ! Most of our customers like them hit
with 30 secs of microwave as well, to give them that 'just out of
the oven' feel, which of course they are every morning, if you get
in our caff early enough :-)

Arfa
Who walks into a cafe in a morning and eats scones?

I would be able to smell the full english fry up a mile away. And do
you get black pudding on your full english?

But what do you put on it first - lard or HP sauce ?

Only HP. No other brown sauce comes close to it.

waitrose own brand is so similar as to be deeply suspicious...

As are their beans to Heinz..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Lino expert
saying something like:

And of course is it said scone to rhyme with "bone",

Only posh gits.

or scone to rhyme
with "gone"?

Normal people and Scotland.

Or as in S****horpe. the only UK town to be known to contain at least
one ****, by definition....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, "D55" wrote:
Does custard go with scones?

I think most scones would be a bit too dense to absorb the custard
for the ultimate solid-liquid interface.

Custard doughnuts are quite nice though.

Owain

Scones need clotted cream and jam.
--
Adam

Yep ! That's how we serve 'em ! Most of our customers like them hit
with 30 secs of microwave as well, to give them that 'just out of the
oven' feel, which of course they are every morning, if you get in our
caff early enough :-)

Arfa

Who walks into a cafe in a morning and eats scones?

I would be able to smell the full english fry up a mile away. And do you
get black pudding on your full english?
--
Adam

No, we've never done BP on the full English. The missus likes it herself,
and keeps saying that she is going to start including it, but you know how
it is with these things. Once you start making something in a certain way,
you tend to just keep on doing it the same. The full English is very
popular, particularly with the 'trades', but we also get lots of old dears
in, and they'll eat a scone with their tea or coffee, any time from when
they start coming in around 9am, which is just after the scones come out of
the oven, so you can smell them, too ! :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, "D55" wrote:
[...]

Ahhh, Waitrose ... What a civilized shop that is. Always calm. Lots of
space down the aisles. Super pleasant and helpful staff. Own-brand food to
rival M&S's. And contrary to popular belief, actually no more expensive on
general grocery, than Tesco. We shop there every week. No other place in the
running ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 01:17:00 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Ahhh, Waitrose ... What a civilized shop that is. Always calm. Lots of
space down the aisles. Super pleasant and helpful staff. Own-brand food
to rival M&S's. And contrary to popular belief, actually no more
expensive on general grocery, than Tesco. We shop there every week. No
other place in the running ...

Apart from, perhaps, Ocado....!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 01:17:00 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Ahhh, Waitrose ... What a civilized shop that is. Always calm. Lots of
space down the aisles. Super pleasant and helpful staff. Own-brand food
to rival M&S's. And contrary to popular belief, actually no more
expensive on general grocery, than Tesco. We shop there every week. No
other place in the running ...

Apart from, perhaps, Ocado....!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Oh but that takes the fun out of actually going there, and seeing what deals
they've got on their ready meals that are a day or two from the sell-by date
.... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 01:17:00 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Ahhh, Waitrose ... What a civilized shop that is. Always calm. Lots of
space down the aisles. Super pleasant and helpful staff. Own-brand food
to rival M&S's. And contrary to popular belief, actually no more
expensive on general grocery, than Tesco. We shop there every week. No
other place in the running ...

Apart from, perhaps, Ocado....!

tried it. No range at all.

Its going bust anyway.