Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Default New LCD television how reliable

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 04:04:59 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

Prices displayed to consumers *must* include VAT inclusive prices with
equal prominence to ex-VAT prices (price marking order 2004).

There's probably some loophole that allows some traders to get away
with not doing so, like requiring you to be members of their club, or
giving you an account number and deeming you to be a business
customer.

Not a few websites will do this, log in as a business customer and you
get the ex-VAT prices (with the VAT added alongside), log in as a
public and you get the VAT inclusive price (with the ex-VAT alongside)

Still nothing that prevents wholesalers selling to the public.

AFAIK no law, but they can choose not to.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 at 06:11:29h +0100, James explained:

I've got the bibles written for a third series

That seems like quite a revelation

but I'm not sure if I own the rights.

Oh dear, that is too bad.

I was even wondering if perhaps there woule ever be the possibility
of a pair of movies (in 3D of course) for Earthsearch I and II.

My dear wife keeps jealous tabs on the appalling rubbish I
used to write in the 1980

Of rather higher quality than much of the rubbish which is churned
out today for TV, and what little is left of radio drama though.

Incidentally, if you do not mind me asking, even if it has been
asked before, did you ever perchance watch the CTV series
"The Starlost" in the 1970s?
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 17:42:14 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 14:41:49 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

You see the lunacy under which we labour?

That rule was introduced under a tory government.

I don't recall suggesting it wasn't. Just confirms the dopeyness of a
company running its own pension scheme, as opposed to none or
contracting with a pensions co. to provide a service to their employees.

You did use the word "labour" in your post. I know it had a small "l"
but I did think it may be illuding to the party that introduced it.

How very peculiar.

labour (vb)
1. Strive and make an effort to reach a goal
2. Work hard
3. Undergo the efforts of childbirth

I think meaning (1) was intended, with just a taste of (2)

Were we all 'torying' under Thatcher and Major?
What are we doing now? Condemming?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 at 12:43:16h +0100, Albert Ross wrote:

AFAIK no law, but they can choose not to.

In fact under the laws of England and Wales, there is no requirement for
a retailer to sell any of their displayed goods to any individual or
company, except maybe if discrimination is on the basis of that which
has been legislated to be illegal.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
On Aug 4, 11:37*am, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

*Roger wrote:
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 01:44:48 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

On Aug 3, 5:06*pm, Michaelangelo
wrote:
Man at B&Q burst on the scene, and said:

Care to post a link to some evidence of the veracity of your claim?

Think VAT.

What about VAT?

My understanding is that retailers /must/ show a VAT inclusive
price but there is no such requirement for wholesalers. BICBW.

But if a wholesaler (or anyone else, AFAIK), quotes a price and
*doesn't* say that it's ex-VAT, then it's deemed to include VAT. Which
is why all comics from places like ScrewFix carefully point out that
their prices are ex-VAT.

Prices displayed to consumers *must* include VAT inclusive prices with
equal prominence to ex-VAT prices (price marking order 2004).

There's probably some loophole that allows some traders to get away
with not doing so, like requiring you to be members of their club, or
giving you an account number and deeming you to be a business
customer.

Still nothing that prevents wholesalers selling to the public.

Those yellow signs (on all of the lamp poles in the carpark) almost
certainly tell you what the restrictions are. Unfortunately, it is a
known fact that people tend not to look upward so, no matter how
prominent they are, such signs could easily be missed. A nice large,
un-missable sign at the entrance would give the shopper no excuse for
not knowing when he had outstayed his welcome.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

J G Miller wrote:
On Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 at 12:43:16h +0100, Albert Ross wrote:
AFAIK no law, but they can choose not to.

In fact under the laws of England and Wales, there is no requirement for
a retailer to sell any of their displayed goods to any individual or
company, except maybe if discrimination is on the basis of that which
has been legislated to be illegal.

Indeed.
However there is a law that says if you display it at a given price, you
must honour that price if you sell at all

'90% off Rolls Royces' is fair, as long as you are always out of stock
when they call.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

wrote:
Man at B&Q burst on the scene, and said:
Care to post a link to some evidence of the veracity of your claim?
Think VAT.
What about VAT?

My understanding is that retailers /must/ show a VAT inclusive
price but there is no such requirement for wholesalers. BICBW.

What has that got to do with the (so far unsubstantiated) claim that a
wholesaler in the UK is not allowed to sell to the general public?

Nothing whatsoever.

You may or may not do so. At whatever prices you like.

However if you have a 'trade price list' you can IIRC refuse to sell to
customers at that price, on the grounds that they are noty v9olume
buyers like your trade customers are.

In my BM, they never ever publish trade prices. These are negiotiable
if you have an account, however.

MBQ

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 17:42:14 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

You see the lunacy under which we labour?
That rule was introduced under a tory government.
I don't recall suggesting it wasn't. Just confirms the dopeyness of a
company running its own pension scheme, as opposed to none or
contracting with a pensions co. to provide a service to their employees.

You did use the word "labour" in your post. I know it had a small "l"
but I did think it may be illuding to the party that introduced it.

How very peculiar.

labour (vb)
1. Strive and make an effort to reach a goal
2. Work hard
3. Undergo the efforts of childbirth

I think meaning (1) was intended, with just a taste of (2)

Were we all 'torying' under Thatcher and Major?
What are we doing now? Condemming?

I hope so.

Which DVD Player is more reliable? hr(bob) [email protected] Electronics Repair 42 November 21st 07 02:32 AM
Help I am looking for a reliable builder cb UK diy 4 October 12th 06 07:31 PM
Reliable standalone PIR Mark UK diy 11 January 27th 06 09:06 AM
which A/C SEER is more reliable? [email protected] Home Repair 18 January 20th 05 02:21 PM
How reliable are BES? Set Square UK diy 6 December 14th 04 07:07 PM