Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Matching mortar

Hello,

I need to do some re-pointing, the sand used in the existing mortar has
tiny stones in it so I assume it is sharp sand. But would this be only
sharp sand or could it be a mixture of sharp and soft?

Is there anything wrong in just using sharp sand (and obviously cement)
for re-pointing? Will it be hard to work with?

The other problem I have is matching the mortar colour, B&Q and Wickes
only seem to sell very dark orange building sand. This is totally the
wrong colour for me. If I went to a builders merchants (Jewsons for
example) would they have a choice of sand colour?

Also B&Q sell kiln dried sand which is a much paler colour, what is this
for?

Thanks,

Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 July, 13:20, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I need to do some re-pointing, the sand used in the existing mortar has
tiny stones in it so I assume it is sharp sand. But would this be only
sharp sand or could it be a mixture of sharp and soft?

Is there anything wrong in just using sharp sand (and obviously cement)
for re-pointing? Will it be hard to work with?

The other problem I have is matching the mortar colour, B&Q and Wickes
only seem to sell very dark orange building sand. This is totally the
wrong colour for me. If I went to a builders merchants (Jewsons for
example) would they have a choice of sand colour?

Also B&Q sell kiln dried sand which is a much paler colour, what is this
for?

Thanks,

Graham

What's the building material (stone/brick)? How old is it? Is it lime
mortar?

On older buildings, the sand used may be just whatever could be
sourced nearby - with just organic matter removed - no grading.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham Jones" wrote in message
Hello,

I need to do some re-pointing, the sand used in the existing mortar has
tiny stones in it so I assume it is sharp sand. But would this be only
sharp sand or could it be a mixture of sharp and soft?

Is there anything wrong in just using sharp sand (and obviously cement)
for re-pointing? Will it be hard to work with?

The other problem I have is matching the mortar colour, B&Q and Wickes
only seem to sell very dark orange building sand. This is totally the
wrong colour for me. If I went to a builders merchants (Jewsons for
example) would they have a choice of sand colour?

Also B&Q sell kiln dried sand which is a much paler colour, what is this
for?

When you do your experiments with mortar mix , wet the existing mortar then
do your comparisons.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I need to do some re-pointing, the sand used in the existing mortar has
tiny stones in it so I assume it is sharp sand. But would this be only
sharp sand or could it be a mixture of sharp and soft?

Is there anything wrong in just using sharp sand (and obviously cement)
for re-pointing? Will it be hard to work with?

The other problem I have is matching the mortar colour, B&Q and Wickes
only seem to sell very dark orange building sand. This is totally the
wrong colour for me. If I went to a builders merchants (Jewsons for
example) would they have a choice of sand colour?

Also B&Q sell kiln dried sand which is a much paler colour, what is this
for?

Thanks,

Graham

Often only looks paler because it's dry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:20:20 +0100, Graham Jones wrote:

Also B&Q sell kiln dried sand which is a much paler colour, what is this
for?

Brushing into block paving? It may look paler because it is dry.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I need to do some re-pointing, the sand used in the existing mortar
has tiny stones in it so I assume it is sharp sand. But would this be
only sharp sand or could it be a mixture of sharp and soft?

Is there anything wrong in just using sharp sand (and obviously
cement) for re-pointing? Will it be hard to work with?

The other problem I have is matching the mortar colour, B&Q and Wickes
only seem to sell very dark orange building sand. This is totally the
wrong colour for me. If I went to a builders merchants (Jewsons for
example) would they have a choice of sand colour?

Also B&Q sell kiln dried sand which is a much paler colour, what is
this for?

Trying to match mortar like this is almost impossible - even if you had the
exact same mix that was used originally, it wouldn't match because the
original is aged and weathered.
All you can do is try to get as close a match as possible.
Buy a few different sands and mixes and give it your best shot but don't
worry too much if it doesn't match

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2010 15:03, Phil L wrote:
Graham Jones wrote:
[...]

Thanks, interestingly the colour of my daughter's play sand from Tesco
would be a good match. But what are the differences between building
sand and play sand?

Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/10 16:32, Graham Jones wrote:
Thanks, interestingly the colour of my daughter's play sand from Tesco
would be a good match. But what are the differences between building
sand and play sand?

Play sand would be no good for mortar. The particles are far finer and
it doesn't have any of the grit in it - great for not getting stuck
under fingernails but not good for mortar. It's also washed a lot more
so doesn't stain your clothes yellow as building sand would.

You can get dyes for mortars, try a builder's merchant. You need to make
some up and leave it to dry and weather to accurately match a colour -
this is not a quick process! I think you should expect the mortar to
lighten up over a period of at about 6 months to a year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
On 28/07/10 16:32, Graham Jones wrote:
Thanks, interestingly the colour of my daughter's play sand from Tesco
would be a good match. But what are the differences between building
sand and play sand?

Play sand would be no good for mortar. The particles are far finer and
it doesn't have any of the grit in it - great for not getting stuck
under fingernails but not good for mortar. It's also washed a lot more
so doesn't stain your clothes yellow as building sand would.

AFAIK building sand particles are also very fine, we're just not used to
seeing it dry. The yellow pigment can be rinsed out easily enough
because it stays in solution long after the sand has sunk to the bottom.
Not sure how much influence it has on the overall colour though

You can get dyes for mortars, try a builder's merchant. You need to make
some up and leave it to dry and weather to accurately match a colour -
this is not a quick process! I think you should expect the mortar to
lighten up over a period of at about 6 months to a year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 27, 1:20*pm, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I need to do some re-pointing, the sand used in the existing mortar has
tiny stones in it so I assume it is sharp sand. But would this be only
sharp sand or could it be a mixture of sharp and soft?

Is there anything wrong in just using sharp sand (and obviously cement)
for re-pointing? Will it be hard to work with?

The other problem I have is matching the mortar colour, B&Q and Wickes
only seem to sell very dark orange building sand. This is totally the
wrong colour for me. If I went to a builders merchants (Jewsons for
example) would they have a choice of sand colour?

Also B&Q sell kiln dried sand which is a much paler colour, what is this
for?

Thanks,

Graham

For pale sand just look around at what's on offer. Dried is fine in
pointing, but sounds like you need sharp. I'd just drive to a few BMs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

yes. even yellow sharp sand (Iron oxide IIRC) is both washable to an
extent, and also when used with white cement a very whiter shade of pale..

sea sand is often grey..and somehat more ruunded off.

Our sand here comes from glacial terminal moraines and alluvial deposits
thereof. Its further to remove the gravel, which is sold separately,
and its fairly yellow. I can get different stuff..there are some coastal
quarries, but it costs more. Its furher away.

How bad would non-matching bathroom look? Guy Snape UK diy 11 January 7th 10 09:21 AM
matching impedances [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 October 1st 08 06:39 PM
Brick Matching Cod Roe UK diy 4 June 22nd 08 08:15 AM
Matching Bricks Gareth Jones UK diy 9 June 4th 07 02:19 PM
Matching old JMC brick Home Repair 2 May 25th 07 04:25 AM