Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Matching mortar

Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I need to do some re-pointing, the sand used in the existing mortar
has tiny stones in it so I assume it is sharp sand. But would this be
only sharp sand or could it be a mixture of sharp and soft?

Is there anything wrong in just using sharp sand (and obviously
cement) for re-pointing? Will it be hard to work with?

The other problem I have is matching the mortar colour, B&Q and Wickes
only seem to sell very dark orange building sand. This is totally the
wrong colour for me. If I went to a builders merchants (Jewsons for
example) would they have a choice of sand colour?

Also B&Q sell kiln dried sand which is a much paler colour, what is
this for?

Trying to match mortar like this is almost impossible - even if you had the
exact same mix that was used originally, it wouldn't match because the
original is aged and weathered.
All you can do is try to get as close a match as possible.
Buy a few different sands and mixes and give it your best shot but don't
worry too much if it doesn't match

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008