Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark mark is offline

Default Matching mortar

"Graham Jones" wrote in message
Hello,

I need to do some re-pointing, the sand used in the existing mortar has
tiny stones in it so I assume it is sharp sand. But would this be only
sharp sand or could it be a mixture of sharp and soft?

Is there anything wrong in just using sharp sand (and obviously cement)
for re-pointing? Will it be hard to work with?

The other problem I have is matching the mortar colour, B&Q and Wickes
only seem to sell very dark orange building sand. This is totally the
wrong colour for me. If I went to a builders merchants (Jewsons for
example) would they have a choice of sand colour?

Also B&Q sell kiln dried sand which is a much paler colour, what is this
for?

When you do your experiments with mortar mix , wet the existing mortar then
do your comparisons.

mark